Puzzle Contest #4

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Puzzle Contest #4 is now open. Hopefully this will be a little easier than the last one. :wink:

On 4 May 2013, some IAP member not named Brad posted a pen in the Show Off Your Pens (SOYP) forum and that member also wrote a tutorial at some point in time that is in our IAP Library.

Here is your challenge for this puzzle:
1. Who is that IAP member (real name or IAP user name will do)
2. What material was his SOYP pen made from that was posted on 5/4/2013?
3. What is the name of the tutorial that he wrote for the IAP Library?
4. Besides the author, what other IAP members are mentioned in his tutorial?

Hint: you might want to read the whole tutorial 2 or 3 times to be sure you don't miss anyone

1. Send your answers to the 4 questions above to iap.puzzles@gmail.com. Be sure to put Puzzle #4 in the Subject line of your message so I can keep track of which contest your entry is for
2. You will earn one point for this contest if you get all four answers correct.
3. This puzzle will close at 2 PM CST on Thursday, Feb 15.

Be sure to include your real name and user name in your message.

Note: The penmaker/author may enter this contest and earn a point if he submits a correct entry, but he will not be eligible for the random drawing for this individual puzzle.

Banter is encouraged, but please do not post any real hints. Everyone needs to figure out the puzzles on their own.

Have fun and let me know if you have any questions.
Edgar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Leo S. Long

Well it took some digging but I think I got it! I sent it in then went to a meeting, thought about it and checked again pretty sure I do.

Leo

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Puzzle Contest #4 is closed

This puzzle is now closed.

I will post the answers shortly.

Thanks for playing
Edgar

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Puzzle #4 Answers

The expected answers for Puzzle #4 were:

Penmaker: Russell Karkheck (or Russknan)
Pen Material: Honey Locust Root (although I did accept your answer if you did not specify that it was root material)
Tutorial Title: A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the PITH
Other IAP Members mentioned: Greg (Triple Crown) & Monty

However there were a few interesting twists on this one which illustrate how important it is to read these puzzles instructions very carefully.

We had 18 entries for this puzzle. 13 got 1 point for supplying the above answers and 1 person got 2 points which I will explain. 4 people supplied incorrect answers and therefore, got no points.

1. Despite the fact that I mentioned the date of 4 May 2013 in the puzzle instructions, one person supplied information for a person who posted a pen on 3 May 2013. Although the information was correct for that penmaker, it was the wrong penmaker.

2. Despite the fact that I pointed out that the penmaker of interest was not named Brad, two people sent answers for a pen & tutorial by Brad Gothard (BradG). Another clue might have been the fact that Brad did not mention any other IAP members in his tutorial - he did dedicate his tutorial for "the IAP Community", but I was looking for member names.

3. One person got the first 3 answers correct, but provided "Fellow IAP members" for the 4th answer - again, I was looking for member names.

4. Now here is where it gets a little tricky and is the main reason that I included this hint in the instructions:

Hint: you might want to read the whole tutorial 2 or 3 times to be sure you don't miss anyone

Russ explicitly mentioned two other IAP members in his tutorial (Greg & Monty); however, he implicitly mentioned another member on Page 26 of the tutorial: "I put out a question on IAP having to do with where I might buy fractional METRIC POINT bits. Somebody pointed me to Woodcraft"

Since the tutorial was published on 26 Dec 2012, it was a pretty simple task to search for threads started by Russ shortly before that time to find the thread that he referenced and to determine that it was Gary Beasley who posted that suggestion.

I wasn't sure if anyone would pick up on that subtle reference, even with the hint, so I wasn't going to require that Gary be included in the 4th answer. However, I did want to reward anyone who actually did solve that particular aspect of the puzzle with a bonus point.

One person did actually do that extra bit of sleuthing and included Gary in answer #4. Congratulations dehn0045!

5. I got one interesting entry that included almost every IAP or turning related word in the tutorial in the 4th answer. I gave that entry credit for including Greg & Monty in that long list, but since it didn't include Gary Beasley, I couldn't give a bonus point.

Thanks for playing
Edgar

BarryE

The expected answers for Puzzle #4 were:

...However there were a few interesting twists on this one which illustrate how important it is to read these puzzles instructions very carefully.....

It's kind of like reading the Bible, there is careless reading and then there is interpretation of what has been read.

I saw the "somebody" and even looked at the tools and/or materials that were named...when I read the instruction "Besides the author, what other IAP members are mentioned in his tutorial?" I took it to mean that they needed to be specifically named in the tutorial

congrats to dehn0045 for going the extra mile

Thanks for all of your work on these puzzles Edgar, I enjoy them

Top Bottom