Difficult to Write With: Comments / Trash Talk

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
Place your comments, observations and trash talk about the Difficult to Write With entries here! Remember, this is a family site!:wink:

Last edited:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Why that m1 garand is one sweet cute little writing instrument, Im surprised its not been powder coated pink with matching Bayonet.

stonepecker

Be sure to listen to the littlest helper in the shop. They have some great ideas on what it takes to make a pen difficult to write with.
And while you are talking about that pen.

Make sure to help them with their entries for the Youth Contests.
Prizes to be won and shared with you. You know that they will share.
Build a memory and put a smile on your face as you share the hobby.

This message brought to you by the BASH 2018 Youth Contests
:cool:

Scott

All three so far are great! And I know what I'm talking about! But I love the one with the eyes. Especially the blue eyes!

Scott.

mbroberg

Make Don Rickles Proud!

:eek:Geeeez............. I've never known this group to be so quiet. Especially when there is an open invitation to lay the verbal smack down on the stupidity of these worthless excuses for pens. :confused: These makers wasted valuable shop time and materials creating these useless pieces of nothingness. No one has anything to say about that?:confused:

Perhaps an incentive. There could be, may be, probably will be :wink: a prize especially for the person who posts, with love of course, the jeering, insults, ribbing, taunts, smears or trash talk that either:

A - Gets quoted most often by others in this thread

B- Receives the most Likes

c - Makes me laugh the hardest

D - Sends me the most awesome looking blank

E - A combination of two or more of the above.

I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!

Brian G

I was so good at it, I won two prizes two BASHes ago much to the chagrin of a complainer.

I guess we professionals shouldn't compete with rank amateurs. Or good smelling amateurs.

Brian G

Circle gets the square. :highfive:

Earl Anthony would be impressed if he wasn't dead.

attachment.php

Theme music for this post brought to you by AC/DC: "Big Balls"

Attachments

• 5860306_1005351371.jpg
    5860306_1005351371.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 547
Last edited:

Brian G

Most awesome blank sent to Mike.

Mike, I've attached two photos of two most awesome blanks I'm sending via download. The one on the top is the purest white stick of Holly you'll ever not see. The one on the botttom is a clear resin blank.

Holly:

Clear resin:

Enjoy.

Last edited:

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Mike, I've attached two photos of two most awesome blanks I'm sending via download. The one on the top is the purest white stick of Holly you'll ever not see. The one on the botttom is a clear resin blank.

Holly:

Clear resin:

Enjoy.

If you had made a pen from those blanks, it would have won hands down.

Brian G

I tried, Edgar. I took a holly one outside to photograph in natural light, slipped on some ice, and dropped it in the snow. I'll have to wait until Spring thaw to find it.

I set the clear one down, and now I can't find it. Probably shouldn't have back-painted the hole.

mbroberg

Holly:

Clear resin:

Enjoy.

Edgar will probably put the Holly blank in one of his puzzles.

Brian G

I'd still get it wrong, too. :bulgy-eyes:

I think some scaredy cats are holding their entries until the last minute, to avoid being mocked.

If that's the case, I pledge to be merciless. :devil:

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member

Holly:

Clear resin:

Enjoy.

Edgar will probably put the Holly blank in one of his puzzles.

Shhhhhhh! No hints. :)

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member

I think some scaredy cats are holding their entries until the last minute, to avoid being mocked.

Frankly, I believe that any pen weighing less than 40 pounds cannot possibly be classified as "difficult to write with".

Mr Vic

Frankly, I believe that any pen weighing less than 40 pounds cannot possibly be classified as "difficult to write with".

Sounds like Edgar just threw down his Gauntlet! :eek:

allmaclean

40lbs is baby stuff compared to being shocked. Now, if you wired up a cattle fence power generator to it then that would be different.............

Brian G

Edgar, if you had stuck a nib on the auger end of one of these, told me you used a combo of the 3pt hitch and the forward/reverse of the tractor to write, I'd have been impressed and bowed to your greatness.

attachment.php

You didn't, I'm not, and I won't.

Instead, you're trying to tell us that 40 lbs with two handles is difficult to write with. Meh.

16 lbs using nothing but three holes and three fingers. . . and a fountain nib.. . .yeah, that's difficult for anybody not named Popeye.

ottotroll, I think your entry was suited for the freestyle; whatcha' wanna bet a certain pen kit purveyor will co-opt your idea and add it to the legion of kits that replicate things that shoot stuff?

Pete, nice composition of a .22 calibre (I can speak Canadian!) in front of a Hot Wheels car and a bonsai tree.

Attachments

• 3ptauger.jpg
    3ptauger.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 404

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member

Edgar, if you had stuck a nib on the auger end of one of these, told me you used a combo of the 3pt hitch and the forward/reverse of the tractor to write, I'd have been impressed and bowed to your greatness.

attachment.php

You didn't, I'm not, and I won't.

Instead, you're trying to tell us that 40 lbs with two handles is difficult to write with. Meh.

16 lbs using nothing but three holes and three fingers. . . and a fountain nib.. . .yeah, that's difficult for anybody not named Popeye.

ottotroll, I think your entry was suited for the freestyle; whatcha' wanna bet a certain pen kit purveyor will co-opt your idea and add it to the legion of kits that replicate things that shoot stuff?

Pete, nice composition of a .22 calibre (I can speak Canadian!) in front of a Hot Wheels car and a bonsai tree.

It was 40 pounds with one hand while I was simultaneously shooting the photo with my camera in the other hand. That's a 2.5x level of difficulty over your whimpy bowling ball pen. Now if you had held your paper up to the ceiling with one hand while writing with the other, I might be slightly impressed.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
You might want to rethink the physics behind that.

Maybe one of the engineers (people who solve problems you didn't know you had by using methods you can't understand) can help explain.

Fair enough & challenge accepted.

I'll concede that I only looked at one aspect of the differences between our pens when I computed that 2.5x greater level of difficulty.

Being an engineer myself, there was no need for me to consult with anyone else in order to develop a more appropriate and precise formula to compute the writing difficulty of our pens. After doing so, I determined that my pen is actually 143.786421 times more difficult to write with than yours.

Lest you doubt my calculations, I am posting my formula here for your review and independent verification. I factored in all the relevant parameters of our pens (length, mass, diameter/circumference, fulcrum point, stability, moment of inertia, etc) as well as all other relevant independent variables such as resistance & porosity of UK vs USA paper (wasn't easy to come up with that bit of data), viscosity & surface tension of FP ink vs BP ink, all atmospheric & gravitational differences between Blackpool & Texas, the current Pound/Dollar exchange rate, time zone differences, etc. And since you folks use that silly metric system while we still use the King's English system, I converted everything to the neutral Potrzebie System of Units for this formula so there would be no possibility of misunderstanding my work.

Attachments

• DifficultPenFormula.jpg
    DifficultPenFormula.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 267

Brian G

Edgar, are you confusing me with Brad G?

I mean, I live in Minnesota, but I'm not from Minnesota. I'm from a State in the US, though.

Brad G is the Englishman. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Edgar, are you confusing me with Brad G?

I mean, I live in Minnesota, but I'm not from Minnesota. I'm from a State in the US, though.

Brad G is the Englishman. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Ooops - residual brain fart from Puzzle #4.

Now I'll have to adjust my formula for the difference between MN$ and TX$.

jcm71

You might want to rethink the physics behind that.

Maybe one of the engineers (people who solve problems you didn't know you had by using methods you can't understand) can help explain.

Fair enough & challenge accepted.

I'll concede that I only looked at one aspect of the differences between our pens when I computed that 2.5x greater level of difficulty.

Being an engineer myself, there was no need for me to consult with anyone else in order to develop a more appropriate and precise formula to compute the writing difficulty of our pens. After doing so, I determined that my pen is actually 143.786421 times more difficult to write with than yours.

Lest you doubt my calculations, I am posting my formula here for your review and independent verification. I factored in all the relevant parameters of our pens (length, mass, diameter/circumference, fulcrum point, stability, moment of inertia, etc) as well as all other relevant independent variables such as resistance & porosity of UK vs USA paper (wasn't easy to come up with that bit of data), viscosity & surface tension of FP ink vs BP ink, all atmospheric & gravitational differences between Blackpool & Texas, the current Pound/Dollar exchange rate, time zone differences, etc. And since you folks use that silly metric system while we still use the King's English system, I converted everything to the neutral Potrzebie System of Units for this formula so there would be no possibility of misunderstanding my work.

Edgar, you forgot to factor in that most of the lakes in MN are still frozen and that Brian is obviously effected by an incessant irrational desire to go ice fishing.

Brian G

I just go to the refrigerator and hold my glass under the ice dispenser. I don't need to fish for it.

Ice fisherman: Somebody whose life isn't miserable enough, so he goes out in bitter cold on purpose and sits on a bucket in the middle of a lake so he can tell everybody how miserable it was.

Top Bottom