SE Mind Bender Contest #5

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
OK, folks - we had a good night here in Alvin. Only light rain and our ditch has drained quite well, so I can relax a bit today. This gave me time to devise one more Mind Bender Contest.

A number of hurricanes and tropical storms have hit Texas since the NWS started naming storms in 1953. I have listed 10 performers or other famous people below whose names are the clues for this contest. Your challenge for this contest is to identify which Texas storm to associate with each of these 10 clues.

You need to give the name of the storm and the year that it hit Texas. (If a name was used more than once, I will accept any year that a storm by that name hit us.)

1. Send an email message with your guess to iap.puzzles@gmail.com
2. Put "Mind Bender #5" or something to that effect in the subject so I will know which contest you are entering.
3. List your storm names & years in the same order as the list of clues.
4. You may only submit one email for this contest and only one guess in the message.
5. You must follow all standard SE Contest guidelines and your IAP profile must include your first & last name.

All Mind Bender contests will close at noon CDT on August 31.

Get at least 7 of these correct and you will earn 1 point toward the overall prize total. Get all 10 correct, and you will earn 2 points. (You must give both the name of the storm and its year to get credit for it.)

Banter is encouraged, but please do not post any real hints.

Have fun - let me know if you have any questions.

Edgar

1. Jennifer Love Hewitt
2. Cliff Robertson
3. The Beatles
4. Oyanka Cabezas
5. Roy Orbison
6. Jimmy Stewart
7. Dwight D. Eisenhower
8. The Carter Family
9. Robert Mitchum
10. Faye Dunaway

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Mind Bender #5 Clarification

I see that I should have been a little more specific with my instructions.

I am looking for the names of storms that made a direct hit on Texas. That means they had to come directly into Texas from the Gulf of Mexico. (A hit right at the Texas-Mexico border or right at the Texas-Louisiana border does count, even if a larger portion went into Mexico or LA than into Texas.)

Storms that mostly spent their energy elsewhere like Mexico or Louisiana and then had some effect on Texas don't count.

If you have already submitted an entry with some of those lesser storms, I will allow you to submit a redo if you want a better score.

Edgar

Last edited:

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Just a reminder that all 5 Mind Bender Contests are still open until noon CDT tomorrow (Aug 31).

Top Bottom