Mind Bender Answers & Results

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
This will be the thread to announce the answers for each Mind Bender Contest and also the winners.

Banter, comments, questions, complaints, wailing & gnashing, etc. may also be posted in this thread.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Mind Bender #2 Answers

The correct answers to MB #2 were:

1. Conversation
2. Extravaganza
3. Chicagoland
4. Introductions
5. Merchandise
6. Photography
7. Segmenting
8. Penturning
9. Announcements
10. Classifieds
11. Camouflage
12. Rhinoplastic
13. Respirator
14. Arrowmont
15. Transmission

The theme of this puzzle was that these words are often found on IAP - several of them are forum titles.

I deliberately selected a couple of words (CHICAGOLAND & ARROWMONT) that could not be solved with a word unscrambler app.

Seven people earned one point in this contest. One of those ALMOST got 2 points, but he left the final S off the word CLASSIFIEDS. (I won't mention any names, but you know who you are, Karl.)

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Mind Bender #3 Answers

The correct answers to MB #3 were

1. Lilac
2. Ron Hossack aka RHossack
3. "One Piece Cigar Pen Introduction"

Ron contributed 2 tutorial to the IAP Library. His other one was: "Red Fir (Douglas Fir) Bark Pen Blanks"

Although the One Piece Cigar Pen Introduction was the more pertinent to this contest, I would have accepted either one.

Only one person got this one right. Congratulations Jeff Vogan aka Skeleton2014.

I don't know how Jeff went about solving this one, but it was obvious that this was a modified cigar pen of some sort, so I hoped that would be a clue for searching our library. It's actually a one piece cigar, but that may not have been immediately obvious from the photo. However, searching for "cigar", "modified cigar", and "one piece cigar" would have yielded only about 6 total tutorials in our library.

It would have taken a little time to review a list of threads started by the authors of those tutorials over the last 10 years, but it should not have been necessary to actually read all of those postings. Just thinking about the pen while looking at those lists should have narrowed the number of likely threads down to a manageable number (or at least, so I thought).

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Mind Bender #4 Answers

Here are the correct answers to MB #4:

1. PLUMCRAZZY
2. BUBBAPENMAN
3. THEHULLTURN
4. BEDANGEROUS
5. FINETURNING
6. TATTOEDTURNER
7. TELLICOTURNING
8. ROLANDRANCH
9. STUCKINOHIO
10.RJOTERMUND

Three people submitted entries to this puzzle and they each got all 10 correct, so they each earned 2 points toward the grand prize.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Mind Bender #5 Answers

Well, MB #5 turned out to be a little complicated & confusing, primarily because I failed to do adequate research prior to posting the contest. My apologies for that, but I was a little busy at the time and I didn't have a lot of time to put it together.

Anyway, here are the answers that I had in mind.

1. Jennifer Love Hewitt – Hurricane Audrey, 1957
She played the title role in "The Audrey Hepburn Story"
Hurricane Audrey made landfall at the Texas-Louisiana border between Sabine Pass, TX and Cameron, LA

2. Cliff Robertson – Hurricane Charley, 1998
He played the title role in "Charly"
Hurricane Charley made landfall at Port Aransas, TX, very near where Hurricane Harvey hit.

3. The Beatles – Hurricane Rita, 2005
They recorded "Lovely Rita"
Hurricane Rita was smaller than Audrey, but also made landfall at the Texas-Louisiana border between Sabine Pass, TX and Holly Beach, LA

4. Oyanka Cabezas – Hurricane Carla, 1961
She played the title role in "Carla's Song"
Hurricane Carla made landfall at Port O'Connor, TX.

5. Roy Orbison – Tropical Storm Claudette, 1979 or Hurricane Claudette, 2003
He recorded "Claudette"
Tropical Storm Claudette hit the upper Texas coast near Freeport and stalled right along the coast due to a massive high pressure system, similar to what happened with H. Harvey. It dumped 42" of rain on Alvin, TX in a 24 hour period which is still the record of the most rain ever recorded in the USA in a 24 hour period.
Hurricane Claudette made landfall at Port O'Connor, TX, about where Hurricane Carla hit.

6. Jimmy Stewart – Hurricane Harvey, 2017
He starred in "Harvey". Harvey was his best friend, a 6-foot tall invisible rabbit that no one else could see.
Hurricane Harvey made landfall at Rockport & Port Aransas, TX and stalled near Victoria due to a massive high pressure system. It's behavior was similar to that of TS Claudette, but because it was a much longer and stronger system, it affected a much larger area. Some parts of the greater Houston area received as much as 50" of rain over a 5-day period.

7. Dwight D. Eisenhower – Hurricane Ike, 2008
"Ike" was his nickname and "I Like Ike" was his campaign slogan.
Hurricane Ike made landfall just south of Galveston Island and caused a tremendous storm surge in Galveston Bay causing massive flooding in Galveston, primarily on the western side of the island. After the Great Storm of 1900, a 17-foot sea wall was built on the sea side of the island and a tremendous quantity of fill-dirt was added to the island to build up and slope the island from the top of the sea wall on the east side to a little above sea level on the west side by the bay. The sea wall has worked well for storms that hit the island directly from the sea, but Ike came into Galveston from the South.

8. The Carter Family – Hurricane Fern, 1971
They recorded "Sweet Fern"
Hurricane Fern was a fairly small hurricane that made landfall at Freeport, TX.

9. Robert Mitchum – Tropical Storm Allison, 2001
He played the title role in "Heaven Knows, Mr. Allison"
Tropical Storm Allison made landfall in the upper Texas coast and stalled after moving a short distance inland due to a massive high pressure system. It was similar in size and strength to TS Claudette and behaved in a similar fashion. The impacted area was about the same size as for TS Claudette, but included Bush Airport, Downtown Houston and the Medical Center as well as other parts of Houston.

10. Faye Dunaway – Hurricane Bonnie, 1986
She played Bonnie in "Bonnie & Clyde"
Hurricane Bonnie was a fairly small hurricane that made landfall at High Island, TX, just north of Galveston Island.

Some of the entries included storms that could be alternatives answers for the clues that I gave. I accepted some of them, but not all. These were:

Hurricane Alice, 1954 – not accepted because it only affected the Caribbean & Puerto Rico. It did not come near Texas.

Tropical Storm Abby, 1964 – accepted – it made landfall near Matagorda, TX

Tropical Storm Barbara, 1954 – not accepted because it made landfall at Vermillion Bay, LA and spent most of its time in Louisiana. It did finally dissipate in east Texas but did not cause any significant impact anywhere in the state

Tropical Storm Fay, 2002 – accepted – it made landfall near Matagorda, TX

Tropical Storm Bill, 2003 – not accepted because it made landfall in south-central Louisiana and traveled west-northwest toward northern Florida

Hurricane Roslyn, 1986 – not accepted because it made landfall near Matzalan, Mexico and spent almost all its time in Mexico. Some remnants of it did bring rainfall to Texas, but there was no significant impact to the state.

Hurricane Jerry, 1989 – accepted – It was a fairly small hurricane that hit Galveston from the sea side. The sea wall did its job and flooding was very minimal.

Hurricane Gladys, 1955 – accepted – The hurricane made landfall at Tampico, Mexico but a separate offshoot of the storm hit Texas near Corpus Christi with 45 mph winds

Four people entered this contest and three of them had enough acceptable answers to earn one point. One person came up with the 10 storms that I was actually looking for and earned 2 points – congratulations Robert Holiday (rholiday).

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Mind Bender Contest Winners

A total of 11 people earned at least 1 point in one or more of the Mind Bender Contests. Since I had a total of 10 individual prizes available for the Mind Bender Contests, I have decided to add one more prize so each of those 11 people can be awarded an individual prize.

I will allocate those 11 prizes by random drawing in the next day or two, but I want to list the 11 people who will win a Mind Bender prize so they will know that are not eligible to ride the Loser's Train:

Karl_99 - Karl Henschel
jontello - Jon Tello
Skelton2014 - Jeff Vogan
greenacres2 - Earl McLain
keithncsu - Keith Patterson
ajollydds - Ankur Jolly
CREID - Curt Reid
SteveJ - Steve Johnson
Hopco - Dave Herring
rholiday - Robert Holiday
geoffholden - Geoff Holden

Congratulations guys - I will also announce the grand prize winners and those prizes at the same time that I announce the distribution of the individual prizes.

Thanks for playing
Edgar

Skeleton2014

Actually, I got very lucky since never actually seeing the exact photo you used in this contest. Used general search function with "cigar" and "pine" word terms to start out. On page 2 of 5, came across the thread "A Cigar wearing Lilac" from RHossack. The first pic showed the upper cap with that unique design matching your picture in the MB #3 contest. Got discouraged when I didn't see any tutorials by Ron in the library! Kept looking for another 20-30 minutes... It's got to be the same pen... Too unique of a grain pattern! Went back to the library search and realized I had misspelled Ron's last name! Found his two articles when I corrected the spelling. Again, I don't believe I've seen the exact photo you used of this beautiful wood pen! Wife and kids say I have a lot of "dumb luck".
Jeff
Skeleton2014

1. Lilac

Ron contributed 2 tutorial to the IAP Library. His other one was: "Red Fir (Douglas Fir) Bark Pen Blanks"

Although the One Piece Cigar Pen Introduction was the more pertinent to this contest, I would have accepted either one.

Only one person got this one right. Congratulations Jeff Vogan aka Skeleton2014.

I don't know how Jeff went about solving this one, but it was obvious that this was a modified cigar pen of some sort, so I hoped that would be a clue for searching our library. It's actually a one piece cigar, but that may not have been immediately obvious from the photo. However, searching for "cigar", "modified cigar", and "one piece cigar" would have yielded only about 6 total tutorials in our library.

It would have taken a little time to review a list of threads started by the authors of those tutorials over the last 10 years, but it should not have been necessary to actually read all of those postings. Just thinking about the pen while looking at those lists should have narrowed the number of likely threads down to a manageable number (or at least, so I thought).

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Actually, I got very lucky since never actually seeing the exact photo you used in this contest. Used general search function with "cigar" and "pine" word terms to start out. On page 2 of 5, came across the thread "A Cigar wearing Lilac" from RHossack. The first pic showed the upper cap with that unique design matching your picture in the MB #3 contest. Got discouraged when I didn't see any tutorials by Ron in the library! Kept looking for another 20-30 minutes... It's got to be the same pen... Too unique of a grain pattern! Went back to the library search and realized I had misspelled Ron's last name! Found his two articles when I corrected the spelling. Again, I don't believe I've seen the exact photo you used of this beautiful wood pen! Wife and kids say I have a lot of "dumb luck".
Jeff
Skeleton2014

1. Lilac

You found the right photo. When I use photos in the puzzle contests, I "doctor" them a little in Photoshop so they can't be found with a simple Google Images search. You guys gotta do a little work on your own to earn all these neat prizes. :biggrin:

Skeleton2014

Very sneaky... I suspected you did this on MB#1. I thnk you used the "mirror image" of the pen in that contest as I recall. Of course, spent a lot of time looking for that exact photo, which we now know did not exist. Nice to know these contests continue to bend the mind long after their over!
Jeff

keithncsu

sooo I completely forgot I put a submission in for the scramble puzzle. And given your generosity am now a winner! I must now go back and cancel my request to join the loser's train :)

greenacres2

I didn't know about the Loser's Train until now--and with minimal MindBender points, I've lost my ride!! Oh well, i'll spend tomorrow at a steam show (HSM Home) with my 4 year old grandson--and get a few real rides. He actually likes watching the sawmill even better than the trains. Picked him up tonight, he's doing his first sleep-over away from both Mom & Dad ever--and loving it. Winner's Train in the Extravaganza of Life!!
earl

Top Bottom