Poll: 2017 Pen Box contest

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Vote for your favorite Pen Box, One vote only.

• Pen Box #1

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • Pen Box #2

Votes: 11 9.0%
  • Pen Box #3

Votes: 35 28.7%
  • Pen Box #4

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Pen Box #5

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Pen Box #6

Votes: 6 4.9%
  • Pen Box #7

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • Pen Box #8

Votes: 31 25.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
We have 8 entries in this year's Pen Box Contest. You may vote for your favorite box. Since there were only 8 entries, there will be only this one poll for the top 3 boxes. Voting will end in 2 days.

Prizes are as follows:
First Place - 10 blank set from EL Mostro $100
Second Place - A gift certificate from an Anonymous Donor for $50
Third Place - A gift certificate for $25 from Cmiles.
A prize of a $25 Gift certificate from Signature Pen Supply will be awarded in a random drawing of the entries that did not win 1-3rd

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Pen Box #1

Pen Box #1

Made out of solid white oak. Router was used to carve the inside slot both for top and bottom. Glued and brass nail (serve as the hinge) when
box is opened to display a single pen. Given the plain figure of the oak, I added an antique brass stamped leaf to give the box a little extra look.

PB1-1.jpg

PB1-2.jpg

PB1-3.jpg

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Pen Box #2

Pen Box #2

The "Pen Blank" Pen box. This pen case is designed to look like an ordinary block of wood, much like a pen blank. Concealed inside would be a pen cut from the same material as the box.
Material: Reclaimed OAK

This box was cut from a single piece of Oak, starting size 2" x 2" x 7.75" Finished size 1 3/8" x 1 3/8" x 7 1/4" no additional materials were used. All parts were cut from the original size block of Oak.

First the left and right side of the stock are cut off at 0.25" thick, then the top and bottoms are cut off at 0.25". Then the ends are cut off at 0.25". To hide any seem, all these pieces are cut at a 45-degree angle on all 4 edges. The core that is left over becomes the cradle that holds the pen. The "block" is then reassembled to appear to be a blank piece of wood, hiding a pen inside.
Picture 2 shows the box on its side to show the inside of the lid and how it slides together.

PB2-1.jpg

PB2-2.jpg

PB2-3.jpg

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Pen Box #3

Pen Box #3

My replica pool table box is made from Birdseye Maple and Gabon Ebony. It's measurements are 4-1/2" X 9" which is a scaled down version of a professional table. It was dipped in BLO and then top coated with 6 coats of satin lacquer. The table top has green flocking on the table as well as the bumpers.

The cues were turned from maple blanks and are also satin lacquered. The butt grips are wrapped with carbon fiber. The billiard balls are miniature replicas. The rail sites are round black Swarovski crystals.

All the materials used were cut and angled using various jigs. The table is an easy lift off to access the pen box compartment which has a green plush felt cushion for any size pen. The lid has guide blocks to properly seat it easily on the box.

This is a neat little box which will enhance that special pen for that special billiard fan.

PB3-1.jpg

PB3-2.jpg

PB3-3.jpg

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Pen Box #4

Pen Box #4

Just for fun last minute pen gift box at little cost."It's adorable seeing you sit there making that"to quote my wife;Saw a YouTube video showing how to make a paper box thought I'd give it a try.Not to be taken seriously cause there's no skills needed to make one and only penny's worth of construction paper.Can't believe she wants to keep it.

PB4-1.jpg

PB4-2.jpg

PB4-3.jpg

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Pen Box #5

Pen Box #5

The Pen Box Contest guidelines state: "You are encouraged to think outside the box when designing your Pen Box." This entry is indeed, "outside the box". I started with Manzinita Root Burl for the main part, and Wenge for the base. I had an essential concept of where I wanted to go with this project, and spent more than an hour studying the whole burl to decide on the initial cuts which would define the final form of the box. The scheme emphasizes two design elements…free-form natural edge, and aesthetic lighting. Manzanita burl will crack during the process of drying; there is no way to avoid it. I incorporated that as a feature of the finished piece...the lighting emanates through the natural cracks. The upper portion of the box is an elongated wedge-shape portion of the burl, hollowed out to accommodate a pen, and tied to the base using Soss hinges. The base is constructed of stacked Wenge layers, culminating in a back-lit pen cradle formed from "Fiery Flow" Italian acrylic. The base accommodates battery packs to power the lights, which back-light the cradle (warm white LED), and top-light the pen (red LED). Lighting is controlled by a tilt switch, illuminated only when the box is open. Lighting was tested to ensure that it would not "cook" the pen due to heat buildup.

PB5-1.jpeg

PB5-2.jpeg

PB5-3.jpeg

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Pen Box #6

Pen Box #6

"Magnum Box"

Turned from Sepele & Maple, this box features a pull out, cupped drawer for pen access. The bullet was seated and a bottom portion was sanded flat so it may sit properly. Head stamp detail is dremel engraved with paint accents....and of course, it's a green tip ;-) A tiny earth magnet ensures secure closure. Finished with my own Danish Oil mix.

PB6-1.jpg

PB6-2.jpg

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Pen Box #7

Pen Box #7

A simple flowered box. My first attempt using polyclay. I created my own canes, laid thin slices on a base color and rolled it flat. Pieces were then added to a standard pen box and baked. Sanded & finished with poly.

PB7-1.jpg

PB7-2.jpg

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Pen Box #8

Pen Box #8

I used rift sawn white oak and bubinga for constructing this 2.5" h x 2.75" d x 8" l box. The bubinga base is ½" thick and edge profiled. I then used a bowl routing bit to remove material and create the feet. The lid is a lamination of white oak and bubinga, edge profiled the same as the base. The box has mitered corners (note in the end photograph how the grain wraps around the miter). I used a slotting jig I made to cut slots in the corners, and glued in bubinga accents. The front appliqué is a 1/64" slice of bubinga that I scraped down to 1/28" with a card scraper, and glued to the front. The pen prop inside is a simple v-block that can be changed out for something longer, shorter, or taller, depending on the size of the pen I choose to display.

PB8-1.jpg

PB8-2.jpg

PB8-3.jpg
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Dale Lynch

Each is distinct and different from one another and worthy of its own merit.Traditional,freestyle,hidden,inexpensive,elaborate,pen making incorporated.A Wide array of skill sets on display.Top notch,what a gallery to chose from.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Poll closs in 6 hours. There has been 113 votes cast with only 1 vote difference between 2nd and 3rd place.
I'll post the winners tonight when I get home.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
We have a tie for 2nd place. I've posted second poll so everyone can vote to break the tie for 2nd place. Once that pole closes in 48 hours, I'll post the names of the winners. I'll use a random number generator to select a winner of the $25 Gift certificate from Signature Pen Supply and I'll post that winner at the same time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom