Puzzle #1 Results

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
We had 24 entries for puzzle #1, but only 3 people got the right answer.

Camphor

Each of the 10 woods was guessed at least once, with the two most common guesses being Hackberry (6) and Weeping Willow (5).

I did give a very subtle hint in the original posting when I stated that these 10 woods were "found" in Texas. Notice that I did not say they were native to Texas. I am pretty certain that all of them except Camphor, Chinese Tallow & Weeping Willow are Texas natives. These 3 are invasives that have become naturalized, but they are not native to our state.

I did expect that this might be a challenging puzzle. I deliberately selected a chunk of camphor wood (about 2x2x6) that could easily be mistaken for several of the other species in the list. The block is mostly sap wood that came from a limb that was about 6" in diameter with a very sharp V crotch to two branches that were also about 6" in diameter. I cut this block diagonally right along one of the V angles of the crotch. Being almost all sap wood, it does not have much of the reddish brown coloring often found in camphor wood, and the top surface shown in the photo was just under the bark layer which accounts for it being a little darker than the rest of the block.

Anyway, since 3 people got the right answer, I have decided to award an extra prize for this puzzle rather than eliminating one of them by a random draw. Additionally, I have decided to award the prizes for this puzzle based on the order of a correct entry being submitted. Puzzles are not normally a speed contest, but it's always a good idea to submit your answers as promptly as you can.

SO, without further delay, here are our Puzzle #1 winners:

Eric Rasmussen (Sylvanite) who posted his answer at 1:22 PM on Feb 13 wins a laser blank and pen kit valued at $40 from Kallenshaan Woods.

Silas Firth (AKPenTurner) who posted his answer at 12:24 AM on Feb 14 wins a $25 Gift Certificate from Signature Pen Supply.

Doug Swanson (alankulwicki7) who posted his answer at 3:46 PM on Feb 14 wins a BOB worth approximately $25 (donor to be determined)

Congratulations guys, please send me your addresses and I will make arrangements to get your prizes to you. (Sorry, Doug - no seat on the loser train for you this year :))

Eric, Silas and Doug each earn 1 point toward the overall Puzzle Grand Prize. They may not win any more individual puzzle prizes, but they can continue to earn points toward the overall prize(s).

Thanks to all for playing.

Attachments

• Puzzle 1 Wood.jpg
    Puzzle 1 Wood.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 190

alankulwicki7

Wow! I'm pleasantly surprised that my guess was right! Actually, it was a pretty educated guess because I have a fancy new computer that has 'scratch and sniff' capabilities so once I scratched the image, I knew it was Camphor. It smelled just like the Camphor that I received from Stonepecker last year (and I believe the Camphor originally came from you, Edgar :biggrin:)

Thanks again, Edgar! I'll have to find time to work on Puzzle #2 now :)

Top Bottom