Critique Match the Pen to the Penmaker Contest

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
Let me know what you think..........

Should we have this contest again in the future?

What, if anything, should be done differently?

Was it too hard / easy?

Any other comments or suggestions are welcome.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Karl_99

I did enjoy the challenge and the opportunity to see a variety of different pens that I may have missed the first time around. At 100 pics, it is a significant time commitment. Maybe two smaller challenges would be better. Thank you

Racer3770

I really enjoyed this contest! It was my first time entering this year. The best part about it was it made me explore pictures and profiles from people I had not seen before. I feel like I gained a lot of fresh ideas by looking at other people's work.
I agree with Karl_99 though, it was a major time commitment. In perspective though, we had plenty of time to complete the challenge. I think that was part of the motivation for me- that it was such a large number of pens and I didn't feel like I could match them all at first.

I enjoyed this contest and I would hate to see it go. It's a great "year in review" for those of us that maybe aren't able to visit the IAP quite as often.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

JodyS

I thought it was a great game! While long time members may have had some slight advantage in that they had seen a pen before, it was absolutely attainable for new IAP members as well. In fact it made me explore the site in ways i might never have without the competition.

There was one pen that to this day, even with the answer key, i have never seen a picture of. I realize that when the pictures were chosen, it was there, but because of a change in picture hosting from last year, it is no longer available. The discontinuation of use of that site should effectively eliminate this problem for next year.

Personally i look forward to doing the challenge again.

edicehouse

I do most of my IAP stuff at work. However when I saw 100, I knew there was no way for me to be able to do that (while at work) this time. So I just drove by.

I look at it 2 ways, if it was 20 pens to match up, there probably would be more participation, however does it push people to "work" for the prize?

jttheclockman

This is one of those ask 100 people and you will get a 50/50 vote. I did this one year and the time I spent doing it was to me too much and vowed I will not do it again. I did not win anything. Now I am a veteran here so thumbing through the sites did nothing for me. I did get to see cool pens again. Now if I was unable to do many things such as recently when my back went out I probably would have welcomed the challenge. Not sure if this helps or not. Whatever the decision will be the right one. Hows that for a political answer.:biggrin:

walshjp17

If I really had nothing else to do, the 100 pen challenge would be fine. But like many others here, retired or still in the work force, taking the time to ID 100 pens was just a bit too much. 20 was mentioned a s a good number; I think that number is too small. IMHO, I would opt for 35 or 40 max.

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
I'd like to find the proper balance between "Challenging" and "Fun". That's difficult to do when dealing with a mix of working folks, retired folks, IAP newbes, IAP Veterans, etc. I was disappointed by the low number of entries. It sounds like the number of pens should be decreased.

edicehouse

I was thinking about this and thinking about how nice the prizes were, and think that the level of difficulty reflects the prizes. We have the daily trivia (which over the years has gotten harder and harder), and the prizes are not to the level of the prize here. You go to an amusement park and they have the wack a mole game and someone is going to win a prize and it is a cheap stuffed animal, and then around the corner you have the crane machine that has a PS4 in and I have never seen anyone win that. I think the daily trivia should be a bit easier, but the level of this is justified.

rholiday

I agree with the second post of edicehouse. It does take some time to complete, but the completion date was far enough out that there was time to locate the pens, or at least the vast majority of them. Limiting the pens to ones created in 2016 also helped. I'd tend to keep it as is, as it probably appeals to a different segment of the IAP.

Top Bottom