Pen Box Contest

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Welcome to the Pen Box Making Contest 2017. We had some fantastic boxes last year so get those creative juices flowing and lets see if you can top the designs submitted last year to complement your pen.

This contest is open to everyone. You are encouraged to think outside the box when designing your Pen Box.

In addition to the Universal Bash Guidelines, the contest rules are as follows:

1- The box should be made to hold one pen.

2- Any materials and methods may be used in the construction of the box and should be readily available to anyone. Since CNCs and lasers are not common in most shops, use of these will not be allowed.

3 - A short description of the box and the steps in creating the box must be submitted with no more than 3 pictures of the box. One picture must show a commercial style stick pen or a "free bee" advertising pen in the box. This is so no one will recognize one of "your" pens.

4-The Pen Box may not have been posted anywhere before the February 13th deadline.

5- You may submit up to 2 pen boxes in this contest. Each box must be submitted on a separate entry form available here..

6-The contest will start on February 1st and entries will be due no later than Monday the 13th at 11:59pm Hawaii time. Entry Forms will be available at the start of the bash. Pictures will be posted and a poll or polls will be taken to determine the winning 3 pen box(es). Voting will last for 48 hours after posting the poll.
Depending on the number of submissions, we may need to have more than 1 poll to select the winning Pen Box .

Submissions:

7- All entries are due no later than 11:59pm Hawaii time, Monday February 13th
You must use this email to submit your pen box(es). A separate form is required for each submission. Pen.Box@penturners.org Please include your IAP member Id, real Name and address with your entry.

8- All entries will be posted at the same time following the contests deadline. This will give all entries the same time "in the spotlight".

Prizes:
First Place - 10 blank set from EL Mostro $100
Second Place - A gift certificate from an Anonymous Donor for $50
Third Place - A gift certificate for $25 from Cmiles.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Wow Feb 13th that is quick this year. Is there a reason why so fast??? I need to step things up now for sure. :)

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
I cant make square thngs
Does not have to be square. Look at the submissions from last year.
To get your ideas going, here are the winners of last years contest.
Now, if you haven't already, get out to the shop and get busy. You have to have something outstanding to put your pen that won the XXXXX contest (fill in the blank with the name of one of this years pen contests).
Who is going to be the first entrant?????

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
I received the first entry this afternoon, but I will have to disqualify it because the submitter did not follow the rules for submitting their entry -

7-.....Please include your IAP member Id, real Name and address with your entry.
I cannot find an IAP screen name that corresponds the your name.
Please resubmit with the required information.

Last edited:

SteveG

Thanks, John T., for bringing up my 1st Place :wink: entry for this year. I have been working up the :biggrin: winning :biggrin: concept since last year, but only just started the actual build a week ago. I also will have to push to meet the deadline.

jttheclockman

Thanks, John T., for bringing up my 1st Place :wink: entry for this year. I have been working up the :biggrin: winning :biggrin: concept since last year, but only just started the actual build a week ago. I also will have to push to meet the deadline.

I think we got short changed this year. I started last week also and not sure if about this one. I am going to give it my best shot. It doesn't matter if the finish doesn't dry in time right:biggrin: I will take my pictures of it sitting on top of the stain cans.

jttheclockman

Wow, must have started last year. I am hoping to get done in time. First does not get the crown. :biggrin::biggrin:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
10%20pack_zpsbhgbfvul.jpg

The 10 blank set from El Mostro for first Place.

jttheclockman

Oh bad day in box land. I had a failure and not sure I have enough time to redo. I may have to fall out of this one. Very disappointed. :mad:

jttheclockman

Aren't these contests supposed to be anonymous?:biggrin:
I can tell you if i am entering any contest I want and in fact I did. You just do not know what entry is mine. I have been talking about this for a year now. I did have a set back and not sure I can recover. We got shortchanged this year with 2 weeks as opposed to 3 weeks like all other contests. This one takes the longest to make but least amount of time. Not complaining because everyone is under the same rules. Just making note. :biggrin:

By the way that is my nickname Anonymous:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
I can tell you if i am entering any contest I want and in fact I did. You just do not know what entry is mine. I have been talking about this for a year now. I did have a set back and not sure I can recover. We got shortchanged this year with 2 weeks as opposed to 3 weeks like all other contests. This one takes the longest to make but least amount of time. Not complaining because everyone is under the same rules. Just making note. :biggrin:

No comments were made concerning this when the rules were first proposed back in November. I could have changed the end date if anyone would have commented about it.

Terredax

Banned
I had considered entering this contest, but the first time I read the post, there was no date and then I forgot about it. Now, after seeing the due date, I definitely can't make that deadline.

The biggest reason, I was unable to find the material I wanted to use for it.

There is always another day, I guess. If I actually end up making it, I'll post a photo.

jttheclockman

No comments were made concerning this when the rules were first proposed back in November. I could have changed the end date if anyone would have commented about it.

No big deal Monty. Back then there was no dates for any of the contests. The link you provided does not allow me to see but as i said we all all under the same guidelines so no big deal. I am sure there will be some great entrys. If I can get it done I will enter. It is quite a big oops so I do not believe even more time would help me. :biggrin::biggrin: Hey there is always next year. I am just so glad to just be in the shop again that even this will not discourage me from having fun again. I look forward to seeing this contest every year now. Adding a little woodworking to pen making makes it exciting.

jttheclockman

I had considered entering this contest, but the first time I read the post, there was no date and then I forgot about it. Now, after seeing the due date, I definitely can't make that deadline.

The biggest reason, I was unable to find the material I wanted to use for it.

There is always another day, I guess. If I actually end up making it, I'll post a photo.

John, That is the spirit. This is why this contest became about. To get people more involved in making a special box for that special pen. It is not something we do all the time but there is always a time when it can come in handy. I encourage more people to continue to show the special box they made during the entire year. That is why the forum was started also. It gives us a chance to show off some other skills and to incorporate them in the pen making part of the hobby. Show us when you do get it done if you do not make it in time.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator

No big deal Monty. Back then there was no dates for any of the contests. The link you provided does not allow me to see but as i said we all all under the same guidelines so no big deal. I am sure there will be some great entrys. If I can get it done I will enter. It is quite a big oops so I do not believe even more time would help me. :biggrin::biggrin: Hey there is always next year. I am just so glad to just be in the shop again that even this will not discourage me from having fun again. I look forward to seeing this contest every year now. Adding a little woodworking to pen making makes it exciting.
The rules were first posted back in January. Even though the dates weren't set yet, everyone was encouraged to comment and start work on their entry. The dates posted at the start of the Bash were the dates you could begin submitting your completed entry and the cutoff date for submitting.
By my calculation, everyone had approximately 6 weeks to design and construct their entry.

Last edited:

jttheclockman

Go on that way of thinking Monty we all had 365 days. Same as now. I am sure this contest will be here next year so I will start on next year's box now. I do know what I want to do next year so I have that going. But life jumps up and things get in the way. As did last year. Being you are quoting me, my story is I was doing other things for my shows and I figured I would have 4 weeks to make a box for this contest as well as do other contests. This one turned out to be 3 weeks being I started the last week in Jan. I would have been done if all things went well. I had a misstep and no time to recover or I maybe will. I am still not sure. I am trying. I hope there are others out there making something. Depending on how elaborate you make a box will determine time needed. When I work on a project I usually have a good idea how long it takes me if all goes right.

Again I am not complaining because we all are working under the same time schedule. Like many contests most applications come in last minute. Good luck to all. :)

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
John,
Your right, technically one has all year to design and construct a box, as long as it has not been posted anywhere prior to the deadline and conforms to the rules.
I wish you good luck on recovering from your oops and hope to see it in about a week.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Just a little over 48 hours to get your entry in.
So far, only one entry. So throw something together and you have a good chance of coming in in the top 3.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
I have been informed that a prize of a $25 Gift certificate from Signature Pen Supply will be awarded in a random drawing of the entries that did not win 1-3rd.
I'm compiling a list of all entrants. Voting will begin sometime tomorrow.

Last edited:
Top Bottom