2017 Pen Box Contest winners

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
We had 8 fantastic entries. After a close race all around and a tie for 2nd place, we finally have our winners.

In third place and the winner of a gift certificate for $25 from Cmiles is-

Pen Box #5
The Pen Box Contest guidelines state: "You are encouraged to think outside the box when designing your Pen Box." This entry is indeed, "outside the box". I started with Manzinita Root Burl for the main part, and Wenge for the base. I had an essential concept of where I wanted to go with this project, and spent more than an hour studying the whole burl to decide on the initial cuts which would define the final form of the box. The scheme emphasizes two design elements…free-form natural edge, and aesthetic lighting. Manzanita burl will crack during the process of drying; there is no way to avoid it. I incorporated that as a feature of the finished piece...the lighting emanates through the natural cracks. The upper portion of the box is an elongated wedge-shape portion of the burl, hollowed out to accommodate a pen, and tied to the base using Soss hinges. The base is constructed of stacked Wenge layers, culminating in a back-lit pen cradle formed from "Fiery Flow" Italian acrylic. The base accommodates battery packs to power the lights, which back-light the cradle (warm white LED), and top-light the pen (red LED). Lighting is controlled by a tilt switch, illuminated only when the box is open. Lighting was tested to ensure that it would not "cook" the pen due to heat buildup.

Submitted by [/FONT]
SteveG - Steve Guzy

In second place and the winner of
a gift certificate from an Anonymous Donor for $50 is -

Pen Box #8 -

I used rift sawn white oak and bubinga for constructing this 2.5" h x 2.75" d x 8" l box. The bubinga base is ½" thick and edge profiled. I then used a bowl routing bit to remove material and create the feet. The lid is a lamination of white oak and bubinga, edge profiled the same as the base. The box has mitered corners (note in the end photograph how the grain wraps around the miter). I used a slotting jig I made to cut slots in the corners, and glued in bubinga accents. The front appliqué is a 1/64" slice of bubinga that I scraped down to 1/28" with a card scraper, and glued to the front. The pen prop inside is a simple v-block that can be changed out for something longer, shorter, or taller, depending on the size of the pen I choose to display.

Submitted by Brian G - Brian Garthwaite

And our 1st place winner and winner of a
10 blank set from EL Mostro $100 is -

Pen Box #3
My replica pool table box is made from Birdseye Maple and Gabon Ebony. It's measurements are 4-1/2" X 9" which is a scaled down version of a professional table. It was dipped in BLO and then top coated with 6 coats of satin lacquer. The table top has green flocking on the table as well as the bumpers.
The cues were turned from maple blanks and are also satin lacquered. The butt grips are wrapped with carbon fiber. The billiard balls are miniature replicas. The rail sites are round black Swarovski crystals.
All the materials used were cut and angled using various jigs. The table is an easy lift off to access the pen box compartment which has a green plush felt cushion for any size pen. The lid has guide blocks to properly seat it easily on the box.
This is a neat little box which will enhance that special pen for that special billiard fan.

Submitted by jttheclockman

For the
consolation prize of a $25 Gift certificate from Signature Pen Supply I assigned the numbers 1- 5 as follows:
1 - Pen Box 1
2 - Pen Box 2
3 - Pen Box 4
4 - Pen Box 6
5 - Pen Box 7

The RNG spit out the number 2 so
Pen Box 2,

The "Pen Blank" Pen box. This pen case is designed to look like an ordinary block of wood, much like a pen blank. Concealed inside would be a pen cut from the same material as the box.
Material: Reclaimed OAK
This box was cut from a single piece of Oak, starting size 2" x 2" x 7.75" Finished size 1 3/8" x 1 3/8" x 7 1/4" no additional materials were used. All parts were cut from the original size block of Oak.
First the left and right side of the stock are cut off at 0.25" thick, then the top and bottoms are cut off at 0.25". Then the ends are cut off at 0.25". To hide any seem, all these pieces are cut at a 45-degree angle on all 4 edges. The core that is left over becomes the cradle that holds the pen. The "block" is then reassembled to appear to be a blank piece of wood, hiding a pen inside.
Picture 2 shows the box on its side to show the inside of the lid and how it slides together.

was submitted by BeeAMaker - Glenn Berden
Congratulations to all the winners!

Last edited by a moderator:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Hello Mannie

confused-emoticon-scratching-head.jpg

I hate to tell you this but you made a mistake.

I was the one who made the pool table pen box (jttheclockman) I also gave you instructions what to do with any prizes if I won so please do so. Thanks.

I know it has been a long time since I made anything to show here but I am back.:biggrin:

Last edited:

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
:redface: Sorry about that John. I reread the post several times and missed that. :redface:
Thanks for correcting Mike.

SteveG

I am thrilled to have been voted into the 'Bronze'. Really great work John and Brian for earning the 'Gold' and the 'Silver'. Those others participating produced great entries as well, and are on track to step up next time around. Every good pen deserves a great box!

jttheclockman

Thank you Steve. It was a good contest. I want to thank Mannie and Mike for running a nice event here. I also want to thank all others that took on the challenge to go outside their comfort zone of making just pens. That special pen does deserve a nice box and will increase the value of it too. I also want to thank all that took the time to vote and especially those that voted for ME:biggrin::biggrin:

I will wear the crown for the year but will say that I will be back next year to defend it. I hope to see many more entries next year to challenge the crown. As this event continues to evolve we now start to see what is meant when a pen box is talked about. Once again thank you and look for everyone next year same time. I am bringing my "A" game. Now I have to complete the billiard theme pen that goes in this box. Did not have enough time to do this.

Brian G

Great bunch of pen boxes. I'm honored to finish second. Thanks, Monty for chairing the contest, and thank you voters for you votes. I'm grateful to the donors and appreciate their generosity.

It felt good to get back to doing a flat and fun project. I've been occupied with a basement renovation, and it was all construction type projects. I was able dust off (literally) some jigs and fixtures that I haven't used in a while.

Top Bottom