Free Style Pen Contest Winners

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

liljohn1368

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Job well done by all. Hope this contest and your entries encourage others to jump in next year and hope you 3 return to defend and in a couple cases improve on the standings. :)

Nedge

Congratulations to Steve, Danny and other entrants who participated. Thank you for the sponsors of this years Free Stye Pen Contest. Suffolk Machinery, Rockler, and Prairie Rattle Blanks.
Thanks to all who voted for my entry and liljohn for the work you have done.
I look forward to next year.
Ed

SteveAxelrod

I wasn't sure my pen was suited for this contest, so I'm glad I didn't miss the mark. Thanks to everyone who voted for it! I hope it won for the reason I submitted it - most turners start by turning a Slimline. The Chic line adds a touch of elegance and the brass inlay and pins are design elements that have great appeal.

In case someone wants to give this design a try, here's the basic steps:

I glue up my segments with the inlay using epoxy and pre-drill with a small drill bit before drilling with a 7mm Acryllic Blank drill bit. I use the indexing wheel on my lathe to help line up the marks for the pin holes and then drill them on my drill press using the drill stop to ensure I drill all the way into the brass tube but not through it. I use 1/8" brass rods and a 1/8" drill bit. I put a drop of thin CA glue in the hole before tapping in the pieces of brass rod. I file the pins down flush with the blank before turning. You can easily turn the brass inlay and rods.

Getting the pins in perfect alignment is the greatest challenge and if they're off even a smidgeon it's noticeable. I still haven't mastered this trick!

I hope this helps and I hope someone gives it a try and posts the results.

Thanks again for the honor!
Steve

Last edited:

More4dan

I was very excited to place amongst such really cool pens for my first Birthday Bash entry. I'm impressed with the creativity and workmanship that went into the pens and the obvious many hours of hard work. Thanks to those that sponsored the contest and those behind the scenes working to make it such a success. And thanks folks for your votes.

Danny

P.S. Who made those extremely cool Steam Punk Pens? I'd love to see more about how they were made. I'm inspired to get out my dusty soldering iron and give it try.

Top Bottom