Turning Challenged Contest.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
This contest is for those who are just starting out turning pens as well as those of who have been doing it for a while, but just haven't mastered it yet. Here is a quick self assessment to determine if this contest if for you.

If I say "How is the Fit and Finish?" and your response is " Better than the Fat and Norwegian".

You're not quite sure what "outgassing" is, but you pretty sure it involves refried beans.

You wonder why California is the only state that gets a finished named after it.

The only reason you use a skew is to keep up on the latest swear words.

You've glued any part of your body to either yourself or anything in your shop in the last month.

If you answer yes to any of these questions, this is your contest. So now that you have determined that this is indeed the contest for you. Here are the guidelines:

1. A Slimline or variant must be used for this contest. Basically if it has a 7mm tubes, a twist 7mm tranny, and two equal length tubes, it's eligible. This includes Creekline, Saturn, Funline, Streamline, and Trimline kits.

2. You may not use the center band of kit. You may either simply eliminate it or you could make a custom center band. Here is some reading on doing modifications, including custom center bands, to slimline kits.

3. To keep the playing field level.....
Wood Lathe - Yes
Metal Lathe - No
Ornamental Lathe - No
Rose Engine Lathe - No
CNC - Oh H#ll No

4. Blanks for this contest must either be:
A. Commercially available or
B. Made by you from raw materials, where the work by you represents the majority of the work required to create the blank.

5. The pen cannot have been or be shown in any public forum (truck stop bathrooms included) before the contest is completed.

6. The deadline: Feb. 14 @ 11:59 pm (mountain time)

7. To enter use this email, Turning.Challenged@penturners.org Please include your member user Id, address, real name and [strike]200 photos of your pen. Out of those 200 photos please send your best 3 to Derek, then take the other 197 and send them to mredburn.[/strike] I'd be fine with up to 3 photos.

8. Winners will be determined by IAP membership.

So there it is. Have some fun, talk a little trash, and make some pens.

1st Place Stabilize wood blanks from Jonathon Brooks $120
2nd place $50 Gift Certificate to Exotic Blanks from Edgar
3rd Place Ringneck Pheasant Blanks from JohnU $40

Drawing for Carbide Turning Tool from Skie_M

Last edited by a moderator:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

D.Oliver

I have some great news. Greg, aka Skie_M, has graciously donated a carbide turning tool to the Turning Challenged Contest. We will draw to find the new owner of this tool. All you have to do is enter the Turning Challenged Contest, and you will be in the drawing! Thank you, Greg!

bobleibo

PUT ME IN COACH !​

Attachments

• GOBLET.jpg
    GOBLET.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 224

JodyS

To ask regis' question again, since it still hasn't been answered... how many entries are allowed per person? It's not stated in the rules above.

D.Oliver

I'm sorry guys I didn't see Regis's thread. To answer his questions though:
Don't worry about the size of the pictures. I will resize them all to 800 x 600. If you do send them at that size, it saves me a step. If you don't, it's not a big deal though.

As far as the number of pens that can be entered into this contest: One pen per person.

D.Oliver

I've sent an email reply to all of the entries I've received. If you submitted an entry and did not receive a reply, please pm me or post in this thread.

Skie_M

Wait ... how is it that Derek is the one RUNNING this one?

I thought he was honorarily qualified to enter this one for all eternity??

D.Oliver

What's that old saying? Those that can, do. Those that can't, run the contest. Yeah, that's how it goes, I think!

Last edited:
Top Bottom