"Custom Made" penturning tools/accessories - Page 4 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > IAP Marketplace > Vendor Forums > Rick's Custom Tools
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Rick's Custom Tools Rick Herrell's custom turning tools

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2017, 07:01 PM   #31 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Hello Rick,
I'm wanting to give a go at a kitless pen and it looks like I'm going to need your die holder and threaded pen holder. Now, of course I also need taps and dies. Could you or someone here recommend what size I should start with and who I should buy from. Thanks for any input.
Treebiker is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-22-2017, 06:37 AM   #32 (permalink)

Photos: 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneOak View Post
Just wanted to let everyone who visits here know that Rick and I have exchanged several emails in the last few days and he is building me a custom post that will fit in the banjo on the outboard turning side of my lathe. He already has sent me his sanding jig and it took a couple times for me to get him the correct measurements for the post. I first just sent him what I thought were the correct measurements but he made a nice little drawing and I had to modify my thinking to fit his design. We got it all right this morning.

I intend to put this setup on the outboard side of my lathe and leave it there until I get good enough to start making some big bowls when I might need that side for that. I am really tired of messing up nice blanks, I screwed up two Amboyna blanks last week -- good thing they were short. After I get this all set up it should save me a bunch of time because changing setups is one thing that eats up a lot of my turning time. I intend to use it to square blanks before turning and I see no reason why I couldn't slide the blank back on it after turning to clean it up and get rid of the excess CA.

Hopefully I will be able to post a couple pics when its all working. Most importantly I want to thank Rick for taking the time to work with me on this, I'm anxious to get it running!

You're MORE than welcome Danny, I just hope it works!

I'm not suggesting anyone remove all the stupid people, I'm suggesting we remove all of the warning labels and let the situation resolve itself.
rherrell is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-22-2017, 06:38 AM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treebiker View Post
Hello Rick,
I'm wanting to give a go at a kitless pen and it looks like I'm going to need your die holder and threaded pen holder. Now, of course I also need taps and dies. Could you or someone here recommend what size I should start with and who I should buy from. Thanks for any input.

PM sent Kelland.

I'm not suggesting anyone remove all the stupid people, I'm suggesting we remove all of the warning labels and let the situation resolve itself.
Advertisement
Old 07-01-2017, 11:56 AM   #34 (permalink)

Rick,

Got my Offset and Sanding mill 2.0 this week and was able to use them both this morning. The craftsmanship was as expected and the tools made quick work of my projects. Thanks for fast responses and equally fast shipping. Looking forward to many cleaner and quicker builds thanks to your tools.

Matt

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app
WhiskeyRain is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-01-2017, 12:09 PM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyRain View Post
Rick,

Got my Offset and Sanding mill 2.0 this week and was able to use them both this morning. The craftsmanship was as expected and the tools made quick work of my projects. Thanks for fast responses and equally fast shipping. Looking forward to many cleaner and quicker builds thanks to your tools.

Matt

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

That's great Matt, thanks for the update and the kind words.

You know where to find me if I can help with anything else.

Old 07-09-2017, 10:56 PM   #36 (permalink)

Rick, I wanted to post a pic of my custom sanding jig but it appears that photobucket no longer allows folks like me to use their service to post pictures in forums. A lot of the stuff I have done on other forums has just up and disappeared and I'm not very happy about it as are many other folks as well.

The custom sanding jig is working real well and so far everything is AOK with it, I like it!
LoneOak is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-10-2017, 06:43 AM   #37 (permalink)

Thanks Danny, I'm REALLY glad the sanding jig is working out for you! (but I knew it would)

Old 07-16-2017, 04:23 PM   #38 (permalink)

Photos: 65

Anyone that isn't using Ricks pen truing jig is out of their mind. He designed this for me and I have not made a single pen without using it since. Makes the old pen mill obsolete. Awesome tool and a great design by Rick. I have the original proto-type Rick is an awesome machinist.

Psalm 19:14
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.
mikespenturningz is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-17-2017, 06:59 AM   #39 (permalink)

Thanks Mike!!

Mike's correct, he's the one that started all of this.

As I remember, he contacted me and asked if I could make him something to sand blanks on his lathe because he didn't have a disc sander. I told him I would think about it and get back to him. Well, the idea for the design just sort of came to me out of nowhere and within 30 minutes I had a CAD (cartoon aided drawing) for him and as they say, the rest is history!

Old 07-17-2017, 10:05 AM   #40 (permalink)

Photos: 6

I own 3. Love them! (the offset sanding type) and about 6 of his tool rest (flat and round).

Peace,

Tony
TonyL is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads