SE Mind Bender Contest #4

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
SE Mind Bender Contest #4 is now underway. This one is a word unscrambler contest.

Ten IAP member's user names have been scrambled in the list below. Your challenge is to unscramble each word and determine the year that that member joined IAP.

Send your unscrambled list of these member names along with the year that each one joined IAP to iap.puzzles@gmail.com and put "Mind Bender #4" or something to that effect in the subject so I will know which contest you are entering.

You will earn one point toward the overall contest point total if you get at least 6 of these correct and two points if you get all 10 correct. Note, you must get both the unscrambled user name AND the year that that person joined IAP correct in order for it to count. Everyone earning at least one point will be included in the individual drawing for this contest (unless you win some other Mind Bender prize).

If you can't figure out all of them, you may submit a partial list, but remember that you need at least 6 correct answers in order to earn any points.

As always, one entry per person. This time all people in the list may play and earn points & prizes.

This contest will remain open until sometime on Monday, Aug 22.

Banter is encouraged, but please do not post any real hints.

Have fun - let me know if you have any questions.

Here's the list:

1 - TRKAPIS
2 - YTTAFISFL
3 - OROTBUNCIA
4 - EKIMCISN
5 - NBSTROOREM
6 - RRLOCNHADNA
7 - DKHBYIETR
8 - TJNNEMOK
9 - TRKLEBURPO
10 - ROTIYCPNPE

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I dont see Derek's name in there. :confused: How am I supposed to win If his name isnt included?:confused:
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Krash

Eeesh Edgar! :eek:

I recognized a couple but finding the others is stupid hard.:confused:

Any recommendations on how to go about finding these?

Clueless in Albuquerque

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
At first I thought it might be Pig Latin,, but no that didnt work. Then I thought maybe its the secret language of the Illuminati......but that didnt seem right. Maybe its a clever code based on the ramblings of the Chairman himself!

Krash

At first I thought it might be Pig Latin,, but no that didnt work. Then I thought maybe its the secret language of the Illuminati......but that didnt seem right. Maybe its a clever code based on the ramblings of the Chairman himself!

Maybe if I read it with a drawl ....

CREID

This one is too easy, so I am not going to participate. But here is how you do it. Just print out the membership list and start going through it until you find names that match up with the letters. Easy peasy. There is only 22,832 members.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
This one is too easy, so I am not going to participate. But here is how you do it. Just print out the membership list and start going through it until you find names that match up with the letters. Easy peasy. There is only 22,832 members.

That's the way to do it, but you can quickly reduce the size of that list by eliminating all members with a number or special char in their user name and all those that start with a letter that is not in any of these names. Then throw out all those that are too short or too long. That should get you down to just 5 or 6 thousand that you have to find matching letters for. :biggrin:

CREID

That's the way to do it, but you can quickly reduce the size of that list by eliminating all members with a number or special char in their user name and all those that start with a letter that is not in any of these names. Then throw out all those that are too short or too long. That should get you down to just 5 or 6 thousand that you have to find matching letters for. :biggrin:

Well I didn't want to make it too easy. :biggrin:

SteveG

I sent a monkey with an iPad Mini to Derek's house to get this all worked out. :eek: :eek:

The two of them should have the solution shortly, unless the monkey ends up being mean to Derek. :devil: If that happens, all bets are off! :cool:

southernclay

I got 7, I thought I had cracked the code and after 6 ran into a brick wall. For just a few minutes I thought I had learned how Edgar thinks, it was a dark and scary place :eek:

D.Oliver

I sent a monkey with an iPad Mini to Derek's house to get this all worked out. :eek: :eek:

The two of them should have the solution shortly, unless the monkey ends up being mean to Derek. :devil: If that happens, all bets are off! :cool:

We didn't get along. That d#*& monkey kept insisting he was smarter than I was! He probably was, but there's no need to be arrogant about it.:biggrin:

SteveG

We didn't get along. That d#*& monkey kept insisting he was smarter than I was! He probably was, but there's no need to be arrogant about it.:biggrin:

This is NOT PRETTY!! :eek:

The monkey is very sad...anyone would be in this situation. The monkey (Winston), said that you hurled insults at him right from the start. In spite of that, he got right down to work, and had 8 of the coded names worked out. You were still fumbling with getting your Windows tablet to boot up. Winston showed you the 8 decoded names, at which point you grabbed his iPad and smashed it across your knee. This caused severe mental trauma to poor Winston, as he was just there to HELP! :beat-up: :crying: Anyhow, he is back here, and will begin a series of therapy sessions, starting later today. Derek...SHAME!!

D.Oliver

This is NOT PRETTY!! :eek:

The monkey is very sad...anyone would be in this situation. The monkey (Winston), said that you hurled insults at him right from the start. In spite of that, he got right down to work, and had 8 of the coded names worked out. You were still fumbling with getting your Windows tablet to boot up. Winston showed you the 8 decoded names, at which point you grabbed his iPad and smashed it across your knee. This caused severe mental trauma to poor Winston, as he was just there to HELP! :beat-up: :crying: Anyhow, he is back here, and will begin a series of therapy sessions, starting later today. Derek...SHAME!!

Like I said there was no need to be arrogant about it! I mean I never rubbed it in his face that I was taller than he was.:eek:

alankulwicki7

Thankfully I did not realize there was a puzzle type contest going on the last few weeks. I could have easily spent hours and hours searching for the answers to the puzzles.

Instead, I spent the time finishing off my basement (which has been going on since February)....

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Thankfully I did not realize there was a puzzle type contest going on the last few weeks. I could have easily spent hours and hours searching for the answers to the puzzles.

Instead, I spent the time finishing off my basement (which has been going on since February)....

The puzzles might have been more fun. :biggrin::biggrin:

alankulwicki7

The puzzles might have been more fun. :biggrin::biggrin:

I don't know. I glanced at a couple of them yesterday and decided hanging ceiling tiles was the way to go.:eek:

Now I just have to get ready for carpet on Monday and then trim work after that:biggrin:

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Mind Bender Contest #4 is now closed and here are the results:

We had 5 entries in this contest. Four of those got all 10 correct and earned 2 points. One entry only unscrambled 8 of the names, but they were all correct, so that person earned 1 point.

The correct answers were:

1 – TRKAPIS - skiprat joined in 2006
2 – YTTAFISFL - flyitfast joined in 2009
3 – OROTBUNCIA - Robutacion joined in 2009
4 – EKIMCISN - MikeinSC joined in 2014
5 – NBSTROOREM - mrobertson joined in 2016
6 – RRLOCNHADNA - Rolandranch joined in 2015
7 – DKHBYIETR - keithbyrd joined in 2011
8 – TJNNEMOK - kentonjm joined in 2016
9 – TRKLEBURPO - robertkulp joined in 2014
10 – ROTIYCPNPE - propencity joined in 2009

As you can see from the joined dates, there is a mix of long-time and new members in this list. I selected a group of members who are fairly active and with several recent posts so their user names would be well known or easy to find in recent posts. I also selected people whose user names only contain letters and are at least 7 characters in length to yield reasonable scrambles without their name jumping off the page.

I used a randomizing scrambler to generate the scrambled names (although I did do a further manual scrambling on a few of them where the randomizer results weren't so great). :wink:

Interestingly though, not a single person in this list submitted an entry.:confused:

Thanks for playing
Edgar

Top Bottom