Votes: 38 48.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
Pen 1

This entry is by my 8 year old Son. he chose a gold slimline kit from PSI.
he chose a piece of zebra wood and Peruvian walnut I did the cutting on the bandsaw. he assisted with gluing and clamping. he did half of squaring the blank on the belt sander.
he assisted with mounting the blank and did all the drilling. I glued the tube in and demonstrated how to true the ends of one half the blank, he trued the other half.
he did nearly all the turning, sanding, gluing and polishing. I pointed out spots that were missed or needed more work. I demonstrated how to do each step and assisted on sizing the pen blank where the wood meets the kit.
I held the pieces of the kit while he pressed them together.
My wife assisted Him with the photography

Attachments

• pen 1a.jpg
    pen 1a.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 317
  • pen 1.jpg
    pen 1.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 326

EBorraga

In Memoriam
Pen 2

This entry is by my 10 year old daughter. she chose a stainless coyote pen kit from lazerlinez.com.
She chose a piece of curly maple and wanted a stripe of some dyed veneer scraps i had on hand down the middle. I did the cutting on the bandsaw. She assisted with gluing and clamping. She did most of squaring the blank on the belt sander.
She assisted with mounting the blank and did all the drilling. I glued the tube in and demonstrated how to true the end of the blank on one side, she trued the other side.
She did nearly all the turning, sanding, gluing and polishing. I pointed out spots that were missed or needed more work. I demonstrated how to do each step and assisted on sizing the pen blank where the wood meets the kit.
I held the pieces of the kit while she pressed them together.
My wife assisted her with the photography.

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 295
  • untitleda.jpg
    untitleda.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 351

EBorraga

In Memoriam
Pen 3

My child picked their pen blank and kit. I helped mount it on the slide and we cut the blank. We both drilled the blank on the lathe, and inserted the tube. We squared the ends and mounted on the mandrel. She turned the blank down with minimal help, sanded, and micromeshed, polished, and assembled the pen

Attachments

• untitled1.jpg
    untitled1.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 293
  • untitled2.jpg
    untitled2.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 281
  • untitled3.jpg
    untitled3.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 321
Last edited:

EBorraga

In Memoriam
Pen 4

I have been working with an eleven-year-old neighbor, teaching him to turn pens. He has become quite good as you can see from his entry into this contest.

He completed the following:

Selected a desert ironwood blank.
Drilled the blank on the lathe.
Turned the blank with little assistance from me ( I kept the carbide cutter steady on the tool rest until he was comfortable). I would not allow him to begin turning pen blanks until he could master turning spindles into round blanks. He blew up a few blanks in the process, and developed a very good touch.
Will sanded the pen with 800 to 12,00 grit without my help.
My choice of finish for wood pens is French polish. Will learned to "charge" the cloth with DNA and to use the right amount of Qualasole and OZ cream.
The finish was his responsibility and he did it well.
Assembled the blank on a titanium gold elegant beauty kit.

My job:

Size the blank on the table saw (safety.)
Insert the brass barrel into the blank with CA.
Watch and advise.

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 288
  • untitled1.jpg
    untitled1.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 289
  • untitled3.jpg
    untitled3.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 305

EBorraga

In Memoriam
Pen 5

This pen is on a LeRoi Elegant kit selected by my 11 yr old granddaughter, Brianna. She selected the colors and mixed the resins. I poured them into the mold. I squared the ends and rounded the blank. Brianna used the skew with my assistance in turning the blank. I brought down to final size.

Attachments

• untitled4.png
    untitled4.png
    449.3 KB · Views: 281
  • untitled6.png
    untitled6.png
    482.2 KB · Views: 282
  • untitled5.png
    untitled5.png
    478.4 KB · Views: 329

EBorraga

In Memoriam
Pen 6

This pen is made from desert ironwood and turquoise TruStone with aluminum accent bands. The kit is a ProX Ballpoint Pen Kit in Antique Bronze.

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 289
  • untitled1.jpg
    untitled1.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 313
  • untitled2.jpg
    untitled2.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 291

EBorraga

In Memoriam
Pen 7

Anyway, here is a pen than he made for the youth contest. He is 10. The pen is a chrome executive. The blank came in a box of winnings from the BASH. He did the vast majority of the work on this pen. I did the drilling, helped at one point with turning when he had some chipping happen, and I used the calipers to do the measuring. Otherwise he did the rest

Attachments

• untitled3.jpg
    untitled3.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 311
  • untitled4.jpg
    untitled4.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 304

EBorraga

In Memoriam
Pen 8

Pen kit used: PSI Gunmetal Magnum Bolt Action

This pen was made with rattlesnake skin with a real scorpion cast on top of it!

The scorpion is a Desert Hairy Scorpion and the rattlesnake is a Diamondback Rattlesnake. Both the rattlesnake and the scorpion were caught on our property.
All the work was done by the entrant

Attachments

• untitled5.jpg
    untitled5.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 277
  • untitled6.jpg
    untitled6.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 288
  • untitled7.jpg
    untitled7.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 336

RobS

How do you only pick 3, they are all winners. Don't get me wrong, I'm not the hand a trophy to everyone kind of guy. These kids really brought their A game to the table. Some of us are probably thinking we need to go practice a little more after seeing these kids skills. ;)

EBorraga

In Memoriam
I think all these kids could of won any contest they entered. These are all outstanding entries

stonepecker

All the kids did a great job on their pens. And I 'cheer' the the parents/grandparents/mentors of these kids. You are helping to build the future of pen turning.

These are all winners .......Wonderful pens Kids.

Dale Lynch

I like the things you kids are doing to create some beautiful pens.Different build designs and finishing styles.This will keep penturning exciting and fun for years to come.Excellent results.You all are being of have been taught well.Keep up the great work,hope to see more in the future.

edicehouse

I tried doing the democratic thing and vote early and often, but could only go one time... (Not meaning to get political, just some light hearted jesting)

EBorraga

In Memoriam
One more day of voting. We have 73 votes so far and it's very close. Take a minute to vote if you haven't already. We owe it to these kids!!!!

Top Bottom