bobleibo

Round 2 Voting is now open for the Ball Point Pen Contest

Please Pick Your Favorite 3 Pens

Good Luck Everyone!

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bobleibo

Pen 3

It is a Salute the Troops Bolt Action pen kit dressed in one of Jonathon Brooks' blanks (Brooks803). I colored the tube with blue and red sharpie to give the blank a shiny look underneath the resin.

Attachments

• pen 3b.jpg
    pen 3b.jpg
    280 KB · Views: 268
  • pen 3a.jpg
    pen 3a.jpg
    278.8 KB · Views: 298

bobleibo

Pen 5

This is a Wall St ll Black Ti & Platinum with stabilized and dyed spalted maple burl. Very smooth to turn and finish. 15 coats of medium CA and MM'd to 12000 then polished. I kept this one. Too nice to sell or give away.

Attachments

• pen 5a.JPG
    pen 5a.JPG
    250.1 KB · Views: 293
  • pen 5b.JPG
    pen 5b.JPG
    224.9 KB · Views: 280

bobleibo

Pen 6

Kit is a Satin Chrome & Chrome Cigar from Exotic Blanks.
Segments are Purple Heart on the ends, separated by White PVCA, and then
Maple for the bulk of the cap and body. Maple came from the back yard,
Purple Heart from Woodcraft, and the PVCA courtesy of an old Credit
Card. The Maple was first soaked in orange Cactus Juice, then cured
and then put in red Cactus Juice under vacuum for a few hours.

Attachments

• pen 6a.jpg
    pen 6a.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 270
  • pen 6b.jpg
    pen 6b.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 295

bobleibo

Pen 9

My entry is a Maple burl and Alumilite blank cast by me on a gun metal cigar kit. I used maple burl "worthless wood" from Rocky, which I stabilized with Cactus Juice. I then cast it with Alumilite clear, alumilite dye and pearl-ex powder at 50 pounds pressure. I cut the corners off the blank with a band saw before I turn them on the lathe so I don't tear out a chunk of wood while roughing it out. I use a carbide tipped "magic Skew" on these types of blanks to shape it. Before I do any sanding I coat the body with thin CA in case there are any tiny pores or gaps between the resin and wood. I then sand from 400 to 800 grit and bring it close to size. Sometimes I need to apply a few more thin coats of CA to the proper size and finish. Once I'm happy with the coat I sand to 800 then buff on beall buffing wheels to a high shine.

Attachments

• pen 9a.jpg
    pen 9a.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 211
  • pen 9b.jpg
    pen 9b.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 289

bobleibo

Pen 11

This is my entry for the Ballpoint pen contest. It is a segmented Cigar pen made out of Osage Orange, Red Heart, Cocobolo, Spectraply, Ebony and Maple. After glue up I use a see through ruler to line up the pattern, then turn between centers to 5/8 diameter. I drilled the blanks on the lathe using a Nova Pen Plus chuck. I used epoxy to glue the tubes in then I used TBC bushings and turned between centers. Sanding, 10 coats of CA finish, micro mesh to 12000, and plastic polish, to complete.

Attachments

• pen 11a.JPG
    pen 11a.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 273
  • pen 11b.JPG
    pen 11b.JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 341

bobleibo

Pen 12

Chrome/Gold Cigar Kit
Material: Stabilized Vine
Shaped with: Carbide tools
Dry Sanded: 120, 220 and 320
15 coats of CA
Wet sanded: 400, 600, 800 the Micro Mesh 1500 through 12K

Attachments

• pen 12a.jpg
    pen 12a.jpg
    321 KB · Views: 268
  • pen 12b.jpg
    pen 12b.jpg
    372.7 KB · Views: 293

bobleibo

Pen 14

The blank on this Black Ti and Copper Aero Twist is an Exotic Blank's "Electric Nebula Alumilite". The twelve copper pins were made from solid core wire and glued into the blank with thin CA glue after the holes were carefully located using the lathe's indexing wheel and drilled to the surface of the brass tube using the depth stop on my drill press. The four larger pins were made from 3/32" copper tubing filled with epoxy mixed with "True Blue" and "Macro Pearl" Pearl Ex powder pigments. The copper inlay was made from a 0.25" thick copper sheet. The blank with pins and inlay was turned with a carbide cutter and then finished using Micromesh pads to 12000 grit and polished with Meguiar's Plastx.

Attachments

• pen 14a.jpg
    pen 14a.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 292
  • pen 14b.jpg
    pen 14b.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 366

bobleibo

Pen 15

The kit is a PSI Vertex Click in Antique Brass. The blank, in its "rough" form, was purchased from an IAP member.
The blank was originally designed to fit a Sierra twist. I modified the blank to fit the Vertex kit by shimming in a 3/8" brass tube and also by adding the blue acrylic end caps of suitable to make up the required length.

Attachments

• pen 15a.JPG
    pen 15a.JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 291
  • pen 15b.JPG
    pen 15b.JPG
    125.6 KB · Views: 300

bobleibo

Pen 18

This pen is made of malachite TruStone, ebony, and maple.
The kit used is David Broadwell's Art Deco (Gold TN/Black TN plating).

Attachments

• pen 18a.jpg
    pen 18a.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 284
  • pen 18b.JPG
    pen 18b.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 330

bobleibo

Voting closes Monday night at 9:45 p.m. Mountain Time

Don't forget to vote~​

Last edited:

bobleibo

Congratulations to EVERYONE who entered. Your efforts and results are appreciated by everyone here.
I know for a fact that there are a few folks out there with new ideas on their drawing boards
after seeing what you have shown us.

Thank you for putting your terrific works of art on display for us all to see!
Bob​

Last edited:

bobleibo

Congratulations Winners!!

Here are the results of round 1 of voting.

Attachments

• Rouind 1 SE 2016.jpg
    Rouind 1 SE 2016.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 228
Last edited:

bobleibo

...and your winners are

In 3rd place and the winner of a BOB from IAP member Ed Cypher is Dave Sutton - SuperDave

In 2nd place and the winner of an Abalone blank from IAP member brownsfan2 is Seth Roland - RolandRanch

and in 1st place and the winner of resin blanks from IAP member MRBurls is Steve Axelrod - Steveaxelrod

Congratulations! I will be in touch to make arrangements for your winnings.

Also, everyone please take a moment to thank the very generous members of the IAP who have donated the prizes for this years Summer Extravaganza. Without them, none of this would be possible.

Good night~
Bob

jttheclockman

I too want to say congrats to all who entered and to the winners. Job well done. Bob once again nice work bringing it home.

I do hope to see more of these type pens in the future here. :)

Cwalker935

Congratulations to the winners, well deserved by all concerned and thanks to Bob for an excellent contest:
In 3rd place and the winner of a BOB from IAP member Ed Cypher is Dave Sutton - SuperDave

In 2nd place and the winner of an Abalone blank from IAP member brownsfan2 is
Seth Roland - RolandRanch

and in 1st place and the winner of resin blanks from IAP member MRBurls is Steve Axelrod - Steveaxelrod.

Bob said that there was a special prize for the 4th place finisher, I get to kiss my sister.

SteveAxelrod

Wow! Thanks to everyone for taking the time to turn some great pens and for taking the time to choose their favorites. I know it took me several looks before choosing mine. I'm very happy with how well my pen turned out considering all the time that went into it and I'm very happy that it was so well received. Thanks for the honor!

And thanks to Bob for running the contest!

magpens

Congratulations for outstanding ideas and workmanship !!!! ... winners AND all entrants !!!!

bobleibo

Congratulations to the winners, well deserved by all concerned and thanks to Bob for an excellent contest:

In 2nd place and the winner of an Abalone blank from IAP member brownsfan2 is
Seth Roland - RolandRanch

and in 1st place and the winner of resin blanks from IAP member MRBurls is Steve Axelrod - Steveaxelrod.

Bob said that there was a special prize for the 4th place finisher, I get to kiss my sister.

NO I DID NOT !!!! Cody, you're worrying me...A LOT ! Some of those casting fumes are getting to you~

Top Bottom