Zippered leather pen case

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from sschaar

sschaar

I'm looking for some recommendations on a zippered leather pen case or portfolio. It can be either 24 or 48 pens.

Interested to hear what others have and likes/dislikes.

Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

I have tried them and do not like them ... difficult to get the pens in and out. . If you make a slip and the pen contacts the zipper you will get scratches on the pens. . Also, some of the spaces are too close to the edges or zipper and cannot be accessed .

I prefer the "suitcase" shaped, hinged lid type cases. . They hold 24, 32, or 48 pens. . The 48 pen one holds only slimlines, so I would not buy. . I prefer the 32.

One problem with these is that the top and bottom lining, into which the elastic pen loops are threaded, are only lightly glued to the external top/bottom pieces of the suitcase. . It does not take long before the glue gives way and the linings fall toward each other. . My only solution to that is to store these cases with the weight resting on the hinged edge, that is with the closure clips facing up. . In this way, the weight of the pens does not pull the linings away for quite a bit longer.

Another thing ... if you insert 32 pens in the 32-pen case, it does look too crowded.
So, I only use every other space with the resulting storage/display of only 16 pens.

My final word is that pens larger than the Jr. Gent size are too big for these cases, and also too big for the zippered cases.

Hope this is useful information for you. . For non-display usage, you can fill all spaces with pens, but I prefer open top trays.

Last edited:

MRDucks2

I use 24 pen zippered soft case from Woodcraft and others. It has a nylon zipper so less likely to scratch, and a padded divider to keep both sides from rubbing. Full, it is a little crowded and may not work well for large pens above cigar sized. It does well for me for now. If we end up doing shows once inventory is built I will either go with one of the aluminum padded cases from HF and/or some padded mesh for each pen.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

1080Wayne

For the problems with the cases outlined in Mal`s post , I dislike them . Have been unsuccessful In re-gluing attempts . Putting in half the number of pens and standing hinge end down should delay the problems arrival . Hot storage (> 70F) will accelerate it .

I prefer the zippered portfolio . They are not all the same . Mine hold a single layer of pens , so no chance of rubbing . Mal`s comment on putting a pen in the holder next to the zipper is valid .

Another option is the roll-up velvet pouch . Have not tried one .

Last edited:

magpens

Roll-up "pouches" are a pain in the you-know-where because you can't see what you've got. Even unrolled, 95% of each pen is totally obscured. They are OK for partially finished pens when you might not care which one you pull out to do further work on.

dogcatcher

Roll-up "pouches" are a pain in the you-know-where because you can't see what you've got. Even unrolled, 95% of each pen is totally obscured. They are OK for partially finished pens when you might not care which one you pull out to do further work on.

Take a look at the artist pencil roll-up pouches. Some have a strap across the middle and a small pocket along the bottom. A leather worker could make one, but it would not be cheap.

dogcatcher

When I was doing predator calling contests, I carried 2 brief cases that I carried my calls in. Simple and cheap ones, I had a layer of foam glued on the bottom and top. With an extra sheet of foam, in between I could have 2 layers in each brief case. To display, I would open the case like a book and put stuff on both sides. Dark grey foam is available in a lot of places and it looks good.

Anglesachse

I always use trays, these use the inlays from: www.pendorapens.com and with a piece of foam on top it`s perfect transport .
The inserts cost about $5 each and a simple tray is only a couple of dollars.

Attachments

• IMG_2114.jpg
    IMG_2114.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG_2115.jpg
    IMG_2115.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 218

Anglesachse

another small one to this, to carry the trays I use Firewood totes.Fits up to 7 trays,
Cheap and effective.

Attachments

• IMG_2116.jpg
    IMG_2116.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 182

Curly

It kind of depends on how you want to be perceived and what you are selling. If you want to get past the guy by the alley saying "Pssst! Hey buddy you wanna buy a pen?" impression then Franklin-Christoph cases are the way to go. Expensive but perfect for pens like the Emperor, Majestic, Jr George, Jr Statesmen, Silver Pen Parts solid silver pens or kitless/custom/bespoke pens. The snobby stuff. ;) We have a pair of the Penvelope Six cases and they are beautifully made. Leaps and bounds above the cases mentioned so far. The link to the 20 and 40 pen cases. The size range you were looking for.

magpens

Andrew,

I believe you must make your own trays ... thanks for the info on where to get inserts.

blade.white

1960 Diplomat View, Colorado Springs, CO 80905
I personally use cigar cases to hold my pens. https://www.cigarsinternational.com/p/herf-a-dor-travel-humidor-travel-cases/1437456/

The foam inserts protect the pens really well, plus at shows I can take the foam inserts out set them on the table and done. Not fancy but very quick set up and teardown. The black pen cases like from PSI, if you cut a yoga mat to fit inside the case it stops the pens from sliding around and helps keep the inserts from coming unglued.

magpens

Hey James .... thanks for posting that info. What size do you use for your pens ?

I did not know such a box existed ... neat for pens ... yeah, Cigar pens !!

turncrazy43

You can also check out Gems On Display.com They have hinged boxes with solid or clear tops and the inserts that fit them. Each insert holds 10 pens and the case will hold 2 inserts. They are reasonable. I use them for shows. I just open them up and put them on the table with an insert in each half of the box. Just a thought.
Turncrazy43

Top Bottom