Very, very simple and inexpensive pen stands

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mmayo

mmayo

I have had several requests for inexpensive but functional pen stands and this is what I came up with. It's definitely not my design I saw it at a local Woodcraft and just kept it in my memory bank. Theirs was an unfinished pen blank that did not work for me so some finishing was needed. People who buy a $25-$35 pen are not interested in spending $50 for an elegant pen stand, but they might spend $10. I just delivered a dozen assorted stands to the GallerynGifts store using walnut, maple, red cedar, Padauk, purpleheart and bloodwood. Some are 3/4"x3/4"x5" and others like these are from smaller cutoffs.

Pistachio%20Le%20Roi%201%20small_zpsla7ug4wf.jpg

Pistachio%20Le%20Roi%202%20small_zpsyn9zjqjt.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rink

Outstanding in its simplicity. If you made a box for a pen, you could provide a spot in the box to include these stands. Could make from the same wood as the pen. Could even segment them to match a segmented pen. Of course, I just stepped away from simplicity, didn't I. I hate it when I do that!

SteveJ

I love the simple design. In my opinion a pen stand ought to put the attention on the pen rather then draw attention to the stand. This simple stand does just that. Thank you for sharing it.

Burb

Very nice stands. Would you mind telling me what size and angle that hole is at? If you'd prefer not too, that's okay as well.

mmayo

Happy to share

Very nice stands. Would you mind telling me what size and angle that hole is at? If you'd prefer not too, that's okay as well.

I firmly believe in sharing whatever I have learned.

The angle is 45 degrees and the bit is a 60 degree sign making router bit that was easy to use in my drill press. I bought it from either Woodcraft or Rockler. I used clamps and stopblocks to get the centering and distance right and made a bunch. They work up to bolt action so Saturn/comfort/Roadster, Sierra and bolt action. I will make a wider version with a larger hole for steampunk soon. I will post it.

I sell them for $5 and they have sold ok.

Dehn0045

I firmly believe in sharing whatever I have learned.

The angle is 45 degrees and the bit is a 60 degree sign making router bit that was easy to use in my drill press. I bought it from either Woodcraft or Rockler. I used clamps and stopblocks to get the centering and distance right and made a bunch. They work up to bolt action so Saturn/comfort/Roadster, Sierra and bolt action. I will make a wider version with a larger hole for steampunk soon. I will post it.

I sell them for $5 and they have sold ok.

I don't have anything to measure angles, but I measured the tip of a Sierra with my calipers and did the math. Unless I did something terribly wrong, it looks like the tip angle is about 15 degrees. I'm guessing the 60 degrees is a typo - it looks like the bit in the pic you posted is a 15 degree, which matches my math. I'm definitely going to try this, but gonna have to buy a bit first (sadly I don't have a CNC, and therefore don't have random spare CNC bits...).

mmayo

Sorry, I sell them for $10 not $5 written above. Others where I sell my pens are far better at convincing customers that the NEED a stand, God bless them.

Wct3

Sorry, I sell them for $10 not $5 written above. Others where I sell my pens are far better at convincing customers that the NEED a stand, God bless them.

Interesting, I just read this thread after the above discussion of boxes. Might be nice to drill a 45 degree hole in a wooden box lid and then you get two for one !

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Top Bottom