PEN HOLDER & SMALL BOX

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wood-of-1kind

wood-of-1kind

This "natural" pen holder is something that I wanted to make for a long time. The idea was stirring in my mind for years but had a difficult time in figuring out as to how to create my vision. Got it done by soaking the small log in water (months) and then carefully dislodging the inner core (wood) by literally knocking it out of the bark. The trick was to NOT damage the bark and have it remain whole. After removing the wood (core), I turned it into a small lidded box and retained it's natural shape. Overall it's been a good learning experience and have now removed one item from my bucket list. Not a work of art by any stream of the imagination but it was a fun little task to make something out of nothing.

Attachments

• DCUP 005.jpg
    DCUP 005.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 394
  • DCUP 007.jpg
    DCUP 007.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 283
  • DCUP 011.jpg
    DCUP 011.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 366
  • DCUP 013.jpg
    DCUP 013.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 344
  • DCUP 009.jpg
    DCUP 009.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 330

SteveG

Your first photo looks like you had second thoughts, and might be trying to undo the first major step!! :eek: :tongue:

Actually, the natural, rustic result is very nice, and you avoided having a great deal of shavings on the shop floor (still some, of course). :)Your design approach is truly outside the box on this stand and box set. Nice work.

magpens

That is an appealing idea and the results are nice. . What kind of tree did the log come from ?

I would have been nice if in one of the photos you had taken the lids off the boxes.
It took me several looks to realize the both "cores" had been turned into boxes.

Like Steve, from the first pic, I thought you were trying to reinsert the core !!

Last edited:
Top Bottom