Pen Box For 3 Bolt Actions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from adirondak5

adirondak5

I am making 3 bolt action pens for an acquaintance , a Magnum , Standard , and Mini , they also requested a box to display / store them in and pretty much just asked for something fitting for the theme of the pens . I worked on a design for a little while today with my CAD program and here's what I came up with so far . A walnut box slotted for the 3 pens with a recess top and bottom to be lined with velvet or similar . 7 3/8" x 4" x 1 3/8" . I am thinking of neodymium magnet for a latch/closing method and small brass hinges on back side .
Here's a picture of the rendering so far , any tips or ideas are appreciated . I'll probably start on this tomorrow , don't know if I'll get it on the CNC but will get it prepped .

Inside top and bottom

Fqy8czW.jpg

Outside top

Bx2vLk7.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

adirondak5

Got the bottom of the box done with CNC'ing and rough sanded , will start setting up for the top section shortly . I made a few small changes , just to fit recessed magnets to keep lid closed . I think the inside recess will flock , it will be cleaner and easier than gluing in velvet , still pondering that . Here's a few pics

Ox3r1iC.png

cA1G5pd.png

adirondak5

I got more done on this than I thought I would today . Machined the inside of the top piece , flipped it and machined the eagle on top of lid . Came out good , just need to clean it up a bit more and get hardware , hinges figured .

Roughing tool path done

27zNm6p.png

Finish tool path done

Qx7wfRX.png

inside of top and bottom

PqnaGhA.png

Top cleaned up a little , wiped with naptha

lFNXJdT.png

adirondak5

Thanks Luke & John :)

Its coming along , I sealed the inside of the box with SealCoat Shellac so the flocking base won't be sucked up by the walnut . I won't get to flocking until the weekend . In the mean time I cleaned up the eagle a bit more , sand top and bottom pieces and got a coat of MinWax Tung Oil rubbed on . That really made the eagle carve pop out .

wPNnXk8.png

adirondak5

Got a little time to get the flocking done on the box today , now it'll sit for a few days and then I'll install the hardware and it will be done .

ONpcY2d.png

adirondak5

Finished the box up , and also finished the pens that go with it last night , a magnum , standard , and mini all in gun metal with cherry burl barrels . They fit in the box good . The magnets I used were neodymium 1/4" disc x 1/16" thick , I was a bit concerned they were going to be too strong but they work fine , the box stays securely closed and does not require much force to open at all . I did recess the magnets so they don't come in contact with each other , iirc there is approx a 1/32" gap between them when lid is closed . Overall this was a fun project .

sYLn3Pn.png

oSNqIKH.png

ClApOwK.png

adirondak5

GREAT presentation of a few very nice pens!!

VERY WELL DONE!!!

Thanks very much Ed , very kind of you .

Fantastic box.
I'm amazed at the depth of detail you get with CNC.
Congratulations
John

Thank you John I do appreciate that .
I used a .125 tapered ball nose at 7% step over , it took about an hour to carve the eagle , I could have used a smaller 1/32 tapered ball nose at about the same step over and gotten even better detail but the carve time would have been well over 3 hours . The interior and outline profile of both halfs of the box took about 10 minutes to machine out . You have to kind of balance what is acceptable with what is possible when it comes to relief carves with the CNC . As it was , there was very little clean up needed on the top carve so it was a good balance .

Chris Labedz

Top Bottom