My Deer Antler Pen Stand

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from FourOaksCrafts

It took a little work, but I was able to pick out just the right antler with the right curve and symmetry. Of course, I had to do some shaping with my Dremel and hand sand/polish. Used my belt sander to get the bottom flat. Lots of fun to make!

And had to throw in the european mount. Sometimes it's good to look around. Your next pen stand may be laying right in front of you.

Attachments

• DSCF5352.jpg
    DSCF5352.jpg
    260.2 KB · Views: 428
  • DSCF5413.jpg
    DSCF5413.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 470
  • IMG_5071.jpg
    IMG_5071.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 374
  • DSCF5350.jpg
    DSCF5350.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 556
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveG

This is a nice idea, especially for an antler-type pen. I have to wonder if it affords sufficient stability due to the relatively small base area. I am thinking that adding a flat base plate of wood, or even a slice from a large section of antler, could offer substantial improvement in stability. What do you think?

This is a nice idea, especially for an antler-type pen. I have to wonder if it affords sufficient stability due to the relatively small base area. I am thinking that adding a flat base plate of wood, or even a slice from a large section of antler, could offer substantial improvement in stability. What do you think?

Steve ... That's a great idea! It also made me think of the idea of maybe creating a wooden base that resembles the profile of a standard plaque for deer antlers. Not sure if you're a hunter, but you've probably seen the plaques I'm talking about that you mount a european skull to or just the rack itself.

Skie_M

I made something along those lines last year ...

DrKaKMM.jpg

HWCmghD.jpg

OThX0JV.jpg

The images are a little blurry, as I made them with my tablet before I got my digital camera, and gave it away to the recipient before I got that camera, but you get the basic idea. The base was a rough square of reclaimed white or red oak from a dresser drawer panel, and it was roughly sanded into shape with 120 grit on a 1-inch by 30 inch band sander, and then the "facets" were polished smooth on a cotton wheel with buffing compound. The antler sections were shaped using the same tools and buffed as well before supergluing to the base.

bpgoldo

Very creative. Thoughtful design and construction. Very attractive. Gonna have to start thinking about this in the future. Lead the way Maistro.

I made something along those lines last year ...

DrKaKMM.jpg

HWCmghD.jpg

OThX0JV.jpg

The images are a little blurry, as I made them with my tablet before I got my digital camera, and gave it away to the recipient before I got that camera, but you get the basic idea. The base was a rough square of reclaimed white or red oak from a dresser drawer panel, and it was roughly sanded into shape with 120 grit on a 1-inch by 30 inch band sander, and then the "facets" were polished smooth on a cotton wheel with buffing compound. The antler sections were shaped using the same tools and buffed as well before supergluing to the base.

Very cool! I like it!!

Top Bottom