Laminated stand

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Marmotjr

Marmotjr

Please excuse me if this has has been discussed before, but I can't think of search terms that will get a good result on this site, as "pen stand design" tends to return quite a few results, as in most of the threads on here :).

I'm thinking of doing a bent lamination pen stand. A couple layers of walnut, a layer of cherry or maple, and then a layer of walnut again. Maybe with a stripe down the middle too. I dunno, haven't finalized that part of the design. So looking for ideas on this too.

The stand will be a J-ish shape, with a hole drilled at an angle for the nib, and a larger hole cut out on the short end of the J to hold the back end of the pen. It will be mainly for photo's, and as a display for sales. I (most likely) won't be batching these out for sale.

But what sized hole should be drilled for the nib end to hold the best variety of pen sizes? And are there any good ideas for drilling this hole at the angle I want? I haven't determined the angle, nor the sizes yet, really just throwing out a brain storm here.

Jolly Red

Drill various sizes of holes in scrap wood till you find the one you like with the pens you make. Someone else will have a different idea of the "right" size for the hole based on the pens they turn.

KenV

A potential entry in the Summer Extravanza Pen Box Stand or Display Contest!!!!!

Kurt Hertzog uses bent lamination stands in his articles. Google or there is a link in the library.

Kurt writes extensively for the British pub Woodturning and is past President of AAW besides being a pen pro.

Top Bottom