Inspiration from Years Ago

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jeff

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Here's a blast from the past you might enjoy!

Back in 2004, we collaborated with Woodturning Design Magazine for a pen and pen stand contest. Here are the original contest pages.

All Entrants
Winners

The link to the rules on those pages no longer works. It was one of a few hundred archived threads that did not get moved to the new database when we changed forum software in 2007. However, I have a copy of that old database and here is that post. (Edited a little to remove irrelevant info...) The rules were also published in the magazine.

Woodturning Design Magazine Contest #2

Our second woodturning design contest begins on 1 July 2004, and will be hosted by the fine folks at www.penturners.org. This one should be really interesting and a lot of fun. To enter, you'll need to design and make a writing instrument and some form of display system, like a box, a stand or anything else that you can come up with that would hold your pen or pencil. We've got several hundred dollars in prizes to give away to the first, second and third place winners in three skill-level categories; Novice, Intermediate and Advanced.

Additionally, all of the winner's entries will be featured in a 2005 issue of Woodturning Design magazine.

So, here are the contest's guidelines and rules:

1. The contest is intended to inspire you to design and make an innovative, interesting and original Writing Instrument and Display set. The design of this set is completely up to you and your imagination.

2. The "display" does not necessarily have to be a stand...it could be a box or any other form of storage container or presentation system. Your creation may be wood, acrylic or any other material, as long as some part of the writing instrument has been turned on a lathe.

3. You will need to decide which of the three skill-level categories (Novice, Intermediate or Advanced) your piece will be entered into.

4. Up to 2 (two) entries per contestant are allowed, and you may make an entry in two different skill-level categories.

5. There will be three judges: Joe Herrmann (Woodturning Design Editor), Scott Greaves (penturners.org co-founder) and myself; thus, none of our work will be entered into the contest.

6. A minimum of ten entries in each of the three skill-levels will be needed for the contest to be considered viable. If there are less than ten entries, the contest will either be extended for an additional period of time, or cancelled.

7. Each contest submission must be posted by sending an email to the following address: [removed], and should include the following information:

a. Your name
b. Your penturners.org member ID
c. Name of pen or pencil kit used (Slimline, Cigar, etc.)
d. Raw materials used (type of wood, acrylic, etc.)
e. Any other comments that may help describe your creation (finish used, embellishments, etc.)
f. The skill-level category (Novice, Intermediate, Advanced) your entry is intended for
g. Attach one to three photos of your creation to the email. Each photo should be no more than 150 Kbytes in size and no more than 800 pixels in the largest dimension. The photo's file name should correspond to your penturners.org member ID or name, for example, yoyospin_photo1.jpg, yoyospin_photo2.jpg, or EdDavidson_photo3.jpg

8. Submissions (photos of your work) must be emailed to contest@penturners.org between 1 July 2004 and 30 November 2004.

9. Judging will be completed, and winners announced on or before December 24 2004.

Best regards, and good luck
Ed Davidson

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Jeff that is cool. I actually have not seen these or if i did I do not remember them at all. I do like the cross stand. Use a BOW pen and if possible some BOW for the display that would sure be nice. When I was a member of another site, back around that time, there was a person that used BOW for many many beautiful projects. His work was outstanding.

I had to chuckle because I do firmly recognize a piece that I actually help design and the stand actually is my design. It is in the Advance catagory and is #16 by Patrick Carter.

That watch was designed by myself and John Nelson(famous scrollsaw pattern maker) for Steebar (yes Steebar corp. when they were one of the best companies around. Different owner back then (actually was the founder) ) I was then asked to make a stand for it and I did. In fact 2 of them. One without a pen and one with a pen and pencil set up. I also designed a box for the watch. These were copyrighted and were exclusive to Steebar only. Have to say the OP put the watch dial in upside down. Made me smile though. Here is my version of the watch and stand or at least one of them. The only photos of the box I have are printed film photos. Maybe I will dig them out if I could ever find them.

jttheclockman

Box__07340.1364857311.220.220.jpg
I found the box on Steebar's site. Have to say I was looking through their plans and have to say I made most of those clocks shown there. Brings back memories.

steebar.com/desk-display-box-woodworking-plan/

Last edited:

JohnU

LOL, I remember that watch pattern in an issue of Wood Magazine or something, and actually made a couple back then when I was more about scrolling and less about turning. It was fun!

jttheclockman

LOL, I remember that watch pattern in an issue of Wood Magazine or something, and actually made a couple back then when I was more about scrolling and less about turning. It was fun!

I am not sure John that was the watch. Wood magazine ran a solid band watch pattern, that looked like this. Wood did a knock off of a wall mounted one that was larger in size. This pattern was exclusive to Steebar.

If you did make those watches you would know there really is not much scrollsawing in it. A lot of other woodworking skills were needed.

The original watch that I made was shown at so many shows because back then scrollsawing was the hot hobby. Scrollsaws were being sold by everyone and that is why all the knock-offs started infiltrating the market. It was a showpiece just like the IAP pens are. The stands and the box went with it. I remember getting so many emails and being I was on the Steebar forum many PM messages about making that watch. I may have even talked to that OP who was in that contest which I eluded to to start this. That was some time ago.

They do make a very nice desk piece and I have sold many of these. Someday I may revisit the design and tweak it.

Top Bottom