Home made acrylic stands

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Buddy Stacy

Buddy Stacy

I'm not the best at this kind of work. All I have to heat the plexi with is a blow torch and all my forms are just wooden blocks screwed together. Still, anytime you can repeat a process with similar results you got something. With a little refining, and an oven to heat the plexi in, these could look much better.

IMG_1543.JPG
IMG_1542.JPG
IMG_1541.JPG
IMG_1540.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Buddy Stacy

Lol, I was playing with sizes as I did this and so they are not all the same width. Think I am going to settle on the width of the red one. Much easier to work with and keep square. Also is more stable being wider.

Jadey

Lol, I was playing with sizes as I did this and so they are not all the same width. Think I am going to settle on the width of the red one. Much easier to work with and keep square. Also is more stable being wider.

Look great! I've been doing the same thing in a bench vise, with pitiful results....map gas and plexi don't mix by the way....

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

TonyL

Nice! I would like to see them in clear too.

I used to build aquariums and worked with plexi but didn't bend it. I did watch the guys bend it and they used a long heated coil to soften a sheet and then bend it along the heat length. It look pretty low-tech, but they made some amazing displays/things.

You did a great job drilling clean, angled holes; that task, I did not see.

Thanks for sharing the pics.

Buddy Stacy

Just drilled straight through then angled the piece against the bit to elongate it. Then, took it back to the torch to heat polish it.

My process works, but the torch heats to unevenly. Some places get heated faster then others. I also have issues with getting clean bends. But, I think with time and practice I can get these looking better and better. Just need to refine my process and have a better way to heat the plexi.

flyitfast

I like them.
I've never worked with plastic/acrylic but you have my interest.
From a sales display view, I think I would make the hole a little smaller so that more of the nib area is visible - so a customer can view more of the pen to see what type and material it is. Just a thought - worth .02? -- Maybe wouldn't be an issue if clear plastic.
Anxious to hear how they work in the booth.
Thanks for showing.
Gordon

Last edited:

Buddy Stacy

I thought about a smaller hole but wanted to be able to use many different styles of pens and accommodate the various nib sizes.

And I like the colors simply because the catch the eye without overpowering the pen itself. Lol, it's also what I had on hand. I will probably get some clear in the near future.

Last edited:
Top Bottom