Charging for boxes - Page 3 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Pen Stands & Boxes NEW!
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Pen Stands & Boxes NEW! A place to show off and discuss pen stands and boxes

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2016, 01:53 PM   #21 (permalink)
Local Chapter Manager

Photos: 27

Consider this, everyone!!

There are many "high end" pen manufacturers--Mt. Blanc, Shaeffer, Lamy.......

Look at their ads--do they show their "nice" pens in a "nice" box?? Have you ever seen even a $35 Cross pen in a low end box?? Successful marketers are worth emulating--the things they have done are what made them successful.

At least that is my marketing theory that worked for ME---YOU are ENCOURAGED to have your own opinion!!!

I have tried many theories that I have seen on IAP---some worked, some did not, but I learned a lot by trying!! When I retired from 'pen-selling', I was selling a lot more dollars per show!! You MAY, too!
Old 12-15-2016, 02:02 PM   #22 (permalink)

Photos: 8

I'd love to have more sales at shows, and have just started doing them this year, so I'm happily open to suggestion. I don't see how one can display ones 100 or so pens in boxes on an 8' table (not to mention the large expense and transportation hassle). I do have a few nice wooden boxes on display as options. I have sold nice wooden boxes at shows, but never with a pen, nor have I had anyone ask about a nicer box when buying a pen. How did you manage these issues?

On web venues like Etsy (which has been very good the last few weeks), I've not had anyone inquire about them, either. Perhaps adding a nice box might result in more sales, even though it would drive the price up. I will try that with some of my listings.

There is a huge learning curve to all this!

Regards,
Michael

PS Ed, I hope you'll be getting in some more of the Blue Winged Ice Dragon blanks, those are great sellers!

Last edited by mecompco; 12-15-2016 at 02:03 PM.
mecompco is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-15-2016, 02:09 PM   #23 (permalink)

Photos: 0

I usually market slimlines with a black felt sleeve and other pens with a simple box. If I know it will be a gift I will give the pen is a little nicer box.

Wooden boxes though I charge extra for but for the rest of the boxes/sleeves I usually just include the cost of the box into the price of the pen. If they don't want a box, I'll knock off $2-3.

I've even got into the habit of changing out the refills to nicer refills off the bat since you can get them cheap in bulk packs from some of the distributors.
lhowell is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 12-15-2016, 02:11 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecompco View Post
I'd love to have more sales at shows, and have just started doing them this year, so I'm happily open to suggestion. I don't see how one can display ones 100 or so pens in boxes on an 8' table (not to mention the large expense and transportation hassle). I do have a few nice wooden boxes on display as options. I have sold nice wooden boxes at shows, but never with a pen, nor have I had anyone ask about a nicer box when buying a pen. How did you manage these issues?

On web venues like Etsy (which has been very good the last few weeks), I've not had anyone inquire about them, either. Perhaps adding a nice box might result in more sales, even though it would drive the price up. I will try that with some of my listings.

Regards,
Michael

PS Ed, I hope you'll be getting in some more of the Blue Winged Ice Dragon blanks, those are great sellers!
Michael:

I usually will number the boxes as each card that accompanies the pen is distinct to that pen and write the number of the corresponding box on the back of the price tag on the pen. That way, I can display the pens on my table with minimal clutter and keep the boxes hidden under the table.
lhowell is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-15-2016, 10:14 PM   #25 (permalink)

Photos: 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecompco View Post

Regards,
Michael

Everyone is different and everyone is selling a different product. My pens may not look like anyone elses so I treat them differently. There is no need to carry a box for every pen you have in stock when you go to a show unless you plan on selling out and that is not not not going to happen. There are some relatively nice cardboard boxes out there. Look into them all and if you want have them engraved with your logo and it steps it up a little more. When you are selling at a show to a live person you have the ability to find out the intention of the pen buyer. When selling on line which I do not, then you have to make up your mind what method you want to sell with. But adding a few dollars to the final cost for a box will not break the sale. Always give the option to step it up to a very classy box such as a nice wooden one. But to put all pens in a wood box is quite expensive and unless your name is Mont Blanc then think it over.

I highly disagree with Ed when he say $1 boxes look like garbage. I wonder what Mont Blanc pays for their boxes??? It is the engraving that makes it look and stand out more. Go to any jewelery store what is the box they give you, cardboard.
Old 12-17-2016, 07:01 AM   #26 (permalink)

Ordered 50 of the Amsterdam boxes Thursday , they were on my door step Friday . Nice to find another company that has good customer service . I usually just included a felt draw string bag with my pens but will include this box on some of them now . Thanks to the OP for bringing this up , and thanks to all the posters for good ideas and thoughts on this subject .
adirondak5 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-17-2016, 10:13 AM   #27 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Jon - I make my boxes from off cuts of other work I do (a different thread). I offer them at shows for $8 but always ask if the pen is a gift or for their own use. If it's a gift and the cust is "on the edge" I offer to throw in a box to get the sale.
Old 12-17-2016, 06:05 PM   #28 (permalink)

Photos: 76

I offer a simple hinged gift box (ones sold by PSI for about $2.50) for $4 with the purchase of a pen. I also will discount it or include it as a freebie as the situation warrants. Depending on the show, I may sell 1 for every 4 to 7 pens sold.
Karl_99 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-18-2017, 08:46 PM   #29 (permalink)

I offer two boxes as a "variation" on every pen on my Etsy site. They cost about $5 and I sell them both for $8. I've sold 3 in the last couple months. I include a black or blue velvet drawstring pen bag with every pen at no extra charge.
Attached Thumbnails
pen-boxes-.jpg  
PenWizard is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-18-2017, 09:35 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenWizard View Post
I offer two boxes as a "variation" on every pen on my Etsy site. They cost about $5 and I sell them both for $8. I've sold 3 in the last couple months. I include a black or blue velvet drawstring pen bag with every pen at no extra charge.
I really like the way the maple lets the pen be the focal point.
Earl
greenacres2 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads