Charging for boxes - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Pen Stands & Boxes NEW!
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Pen Stands & Boxes NEW! A place to show off and discuss pen stands and boxes

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2016, 07:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Default Charging for boxes

How do you guys charge customers for pen boxes? This could be either with commissions or at markets as strategy could be different. I am primarily talking about the simple gift boxes that cost $2 to $4 not anything fancy.
kentonjm is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-14-2016, 07:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 7

I'ld simply market the pen WITH boxes ... use a lower cost box as something that is "included" with the purchase. More expensive boxes can be obtained for an extra charge.

Obviously, this would necessitate the need to include the cost of boxes in the price of your pens, but at under 5 dollars a box this isn't all that bad. When you get upwards of 10 dollars a box, the customer may become a little picky about exactly what they want.

Attendance is not mandatory, unless you're addicted to turning pens.
Skie_M is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-14-2016, 09:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 5

I include one of the inexpensive Amsterdam boxes with each pen. If the pen is to be used, the box will more than likely end up in the back of a drawer and eventually in the trash can. That's just my 2 cents and it has worked for me so far.
Old 12-14-2016, 09:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 68

First I will say I too give one of the 50 boxes along with a felt bag. I do offer a more expensive box if they are wanting to give as a gift but that box cost $20. Most people do not keep their pens in a box especially one that cheap. If they want a special box that is different then they have intentions of keeping it in the box. I do not carry any in the middle boxes. Not worth it to me.

If i were you just ask the customer if they would care for a box and have it worked into the price by adding $4 more. If they do not want the box just give them a felt pouch and you are ahead in the sale. Keep it that way for all sales and some you will win and others it will be a draw so it all evens out. You are not talking a make or break a sale deal for $4. If you are then that sale is not for you. Treat your pens with respect and sell them that way. Be a good salesperson.
Old 12-15-2016, 01:37 AM   #5 (permalink)

Good feedback, I will have to look at getting some of those, have you found any other sources worth looking at?
Old 12-15-2016, 01:52 AM   #6 (permalink)

Photos: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentonjm View Post
Good feedback, I will have to look at getting some of those, have you found any other sources worth looking at?
Just a word of warning. Dan is having a problem with a couple others that just ordered some boxes and it seems the size has been changed and they are still advertising as pen boxes but they are too large for pens to fit naturally in them. So wherever you look, make sure you check and double check the sizes offered before ordering.
Old 12-15-2016, 04:31 AM   #7 (permalink)

Photos: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jttheclockman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentonjm View Post
Just a word of warning. Dan is having a problem with a couple others that just ordered some boxes and it seems the size has been changed and they are still advertising as pen boxes but they are too large for pens to fit naturally in them. So wherever you look, make sure you check and double check the sizes offered before ordering.
Is it the Amsterdam boxes that have changed (I hope not) or the other source for the personalized ones that Dan has talked about?
mecompco is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-15-2016, 09:22 AM   #8 (permalink)

I hope it's not the Amsterdam ones as I just placed an irder. They have 15% discount and free shipping. Bought 50 for $25.
Old 12-15-2016, 09:28 AM   #9 (permalink)

Photos: 6

Would you mind sharing that code with me? They may have sent me a code too, but haven't looked.

I give all a Amsterdam box (even if it is a tight fit) and a velvet draw string pouch. I also replace all of the kit refills with a 9000M or 5888M.

I want to add that I am not really in the business (no shows, just word of mouth) and don't know of this is the best economic and marketing model.

Peace,

Tony

Last edited by TonyL; 12-15-2016 at 09:31 AM.
TonyL is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-15-2016, 09:31 AM   #10 (permalink)

Photos: 6

Returning to Michael's comment: my last batch was sized-correctly, but the foam section that would hold the cap or top of the pen had some exposed adhesive issues.

Peace,

Tony
TonyL is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads