Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Shop Life Photo 8

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • Shop Life Photo 9

Votes: 8 6.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Time to VOTE in the

2016 IAP 12th Birthday Bash Shop Life Contest!!
:rotfl:

Voting will be open until February 24, 2016 11:59 PM PST.

All of the entries are in and we have nine to choose from. All you need to do is vote for one of the Shop Life Photos. This will be a super difficult task as all of the entries were super duper cool! Now it is time for the Members to vote!

Shop Life Photo 1: Description: Making Shavings
1_SP1.jpg

Shop Life Photo 2: Description: The wood turners version of sleeping in the doghouse (Turning between Centers)
1_SP2.jpg

Shop Life Photo 3: Description: Just a quick pic of some burls and my English Mastiff puppy Kitty visiting the shop. I wish the burls grew as quick as she does!
1_SP3.jpg

Shop Life Photo 4: Description: I call this photo "Anticipation." There are three ways this photo shows anticipation. 1. The anticipation of that great big smile and exclamation of joy from my three year old son every time he gets that first glimpse of the shop when he gets to "make pens with daddy." 2. Due to circumstances beyond my control, I have been unable to work at the lathe. I look forward with great anticipation to when my son and I will get to have fun in the shop again and to when I am able to again create. 3. The wood in the foreground anticipates its day when it will be used to create something in a way that reveals and shows off its beauty in a way that I hope will stand the test of time.
1_SP4.jpg

Shop Life Photo 5: Description: My 1/4 of a 2 car garage work space. Taken with a 15 second exposure time - standing in to different places to make the shadows.
1_SP5.JPG

Shop Life Photo 6: Description: I was drilling the hole, enjoying the fluffy ribbons spilling out, when I noticed what looked like a little blue flower peeking through. Sometimes in the hustle and stress of trying to make a pen, we have to slow down and realize it's the little things that pen blanks hide that make a person smile.
1_SP6.jpg

Shop Life Photo 7: Description: My Paulk workbench II with router table that I built.
1_SP7.JPG

Shop Life Photo 8: Description: "Mans Best Friend?" So, you get home from work, do your chores for the real boss (SWMBO), get changed and finally make it out to the shop to turn some pens. Then, you hear that low pitched "rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrryip", which means, "I'm ready to play ballie... please throw it for me!" So, you do this for about five minutes, hoping your friend will take a break so you can turn at least one pen this evening. "Why don't you just shut the door?", you may ask. Come on, she's a pure bred Pomeranian and for anyone who has owned one, you realize they rule the roost. Besides, if I did close the door, she'd just give that high pitched bark, which means, "Hey, don't close the door on me, I still want to play ballie". Shop note: Yes, it is a converted greenhouse that I started using as my shop 3 or 4 years ago. In winter, I have a oil filled heater that keeps it at a toasty 62F. Summers are brutal with temps well into the 135F range. So, I have to turn earlier in the morning or after 5 or 6 in the evening when the temp drops into the upper 80's. Thanks for looking.
1_SP8.jpg

Shop Life Photo 9: Description: This is my drawer of wood blanks cast in resin I have bought over the last year and have yet to make.
1_SP9.jpg

Thank you to the IAP vendors / members who provided the prizes for first, second, and third place.
1st Place: Pen kits #6 lazerline $100.00 ../..Gift Certificate Jim 15 $50.00
2nd Place: Gift certificate # 8 Skewer ../..$50.00 acrylic blanks Bear Tooth Woods $40.00
3rd Place: Gift certificate # 8 Turn Tex $25.00 ../.. Bob #1 Southern Clay $25.00​

Voting will be open until February 24, 2016 11:59 PM PST. I am adding one additional day (ending on Feb 24 instead of Feb 23) because I was not able to post the poll as early as anticipated because of technical difficulties.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Full Size Pictures

2016 IAP 12th Birthday Bash Pen Photography Contest

Voting will be open until Feb 24, 6:59 PM (this is a change from the 11:59 time previously stated).

Please see below for links to the full size version (up to the 960 pixel limit) photos.

Shop Life Photo 1
SP1.jpg

Shop Life Photo 2
SP2.jpg

Shop Life Photo 3
SP3.jpg

Shop Life Photo 4
SP4.jpg

Shop Life Photo 5
SP5.JPG

Shop Life Photo 6
SP6.jpg

Shop Life Photo 7
SP7.JPG

Shop Life Photo 8
SP8.jpg

Shop Life Photo 9
SP9.jpg

Good luck to all!​

We have more votes but now the difference between 1st and 2nd is only one vote! 3rd and 4th are very close as well!! Get those votes in as there is less than 24 hours left.

Top Bottom