• pen 10

Votes: 7 3.7%
  • pen 11

Votes: 34 18.1%
  • Pen 12

Votes: 5 2.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Tell us about your entry: This is my first (and possibly last!) attempt at a demonstrator, using clear cast acrylic acetate for body and cap. The nib is #6 JoWo polished steel, the clip is a chrome Rinehart. I chose a Schmidt ink converter to keep with the chrome/steel theme.

Attachments

• pen 1b.jpg
    pen 1b.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 444
  • Pen 1a.jpg
    Pen 1a.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 539
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Pen 2

Tell us about your entry: Zebrano and Panga Panga hourglass ballpoint.Fisher ink cartridge.I was able to keep 2 wraps.Not much realestate left when it gets down to size.The ends are concaved ro show the underlying wrap.Friction fit front section and cap.The cap has small layer of felt to grip the section.Thin flex CA finish.

Attachments

• Pen 2a.jpg
    Pen 2a.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 403
  • Pen 2b.jpg
    Pen 2b.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 398
Pen 3

Tell us about your entry: Cebloplast Blue Ice acrylic with Machined aluminum. #5 Bock nib with Ebonite section. Uses a twist converter.

Attachments

• Pen 3a.jpg
    Pen 3a.jpg
    274.8 KB · Views: 557
  • Pen 3b.jpg
    Pen 3b.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 424
Pen 5

Tell us about your entry: Hand turned on a timber lathe with a hand polished custom brass clip, this pen is constructed from a 0.625" Aluminum 6061-T6511 rod, 0.25" Brass 360 H02 rod, plastic Acetal Black (Delrin), and what I believe to be a Meister #5 nib. Clip is a re-shaped 1/4" solid brass rod resistance fit in the top of the cap and holds securely. There is approximately 0.125" clearance from nib tip to inside of cap when fully seated. Nib assembly hosts an M6.5x.5 internal thread and an M8x1.0 male thread to mate with the body. The threads clear with about 0.4mm tolerance between M6.5x.5 and M8x1 threads, but the feed assembly secures only slightly recessed from the top giving ample strength to the component when refilling. The cap has a recessed M10x1.25 thread. The recess is a perfect fit to the smooth tenon visible above the threads on the body and gives a clean edge to the cap. With a small but comfortable hold it is 108.98mm (4.28") from end to nib and 118.75mm when capped. Weighing only 21g dry (40g with cap) this pen will not wear you out. Currently sporting a small squeeze converter filled with ink milked from a vampire squid, standard cartridges also fit without issue thanks to the square threads in the body. Everything about this pen is designed to be a compact and perfect fit.

Attachments

• Pen 5a.jpg
    Pen 5a.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 387
  • Pen 5b.jpg
    Pen 5b.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 392
Pen 6

Tell us about your entry: Double-tapered Kitless Rollerball Pen -- Notice the tapers going in opposite directions with different slopes on the top and bottom barrels. Notice also the shiny brass accessories - hollowed and fitted caps top and bottom, and the two center rings. The Section is also made of brass, again with opposing tapers and facetted octagonally. The Section has a polished tip shaped like a Chinaman's hat providing the exit hole for the rollerball nib point. The Section has a central groove where there are two o-rings to provide grip when writing. The body is cast Alumilite. The threading details are 14mm double start cap to body threads, and 10mm section threads. The rough Alumilite blank was bought. It and all other parts were turned, polished, and threaded by me on my lathe (except spring, refill, and o-rings).

Attachments

• Pen 6b.jpg
    Pen 6b.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 399
  • Pen 6a.jpg
    Pen 6a.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 373
Pen7

Tell us about your entry: 150mm long 14mm in diameter Jowo #6 Medium Duotone Nib and Jowo feed 13 x .75 x 3 Cap threads 10 x 1 Section threads 7.4 x .5 Feed threads Only 1.25 turns required to cap Venetian Gold with Burnished Bronze accents and section. I had tried and failed in the past to do a modified kit without tubes in this material and was determined, because of the beauty of Venetian Gold, especially when accented with the Burnished Bronze, to give it another go. I ended up referring to this as the Pen From Hell due to the many blowouts, meltings and broken pieces I generated in the process, trying to achieve an elegant, but straight-lined look without resulting to clunky, thick-walled parts. Fortunately I was finally able to successfully complete the pen to my original plan. Sometimes determination trumps natural ability!

Attachments

• Pen 7a.jpg
    Pen 7a.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 393
  • Pen 7b.jpg
    Pen 7b.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 434
Last edited:
Pen 8

Tell us about your entry: This pen was inspired by elements of ancient Egypt. It is made of Ebony, ebonite, amber acrylic,bronze, and Lapis Lazuli. It utilizes a #6 nib, and is filled via converter, cartridge, or eyedropper. The clip and accent bands are hand-made from bronze. The pen also features Lapis Lazuli cabochons in the finials on the barrel and cap, as well has a Lapis Lazuli band around the cap. All were cut and shaped from a thin slab of lapis Lazuli. The Ebony was oiled and polished to retain the natural characteristics and tactile feel of the wood, as well as to contrast the uniform mirror-like polish of the ebonite. This was a very interesting pen to make, and presented some difficult problems that had to be approached from a creative stanpoint: Mainly figuring out how to incorporate stone into the pen and the technical difficulties associated with doing so. Thanks for looking, and I hope you enjoy!

Attachments

• Pen 8a.jpg
    Pen 8a.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 396
  • Pen 8b.jpg
    Pen 8b.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 504
Pen 9

Tell us about your entry: This pen is my design for a slim fountain pen. Featuring a #5 nib with 10mm cap threads, there are some thin walls and tight tolerances in this design. The body is constructed out of stainless steel, and the postable cap is PR.

Attachments

• Pen 9a.jpg
    Pen 9a.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 422
  • Pen 9b.jpg
    Pen 9b.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 440
Pen 10

Tell us about your entry: Maple, Padauk, and Kingwood(?) (I inherited an unlabeled chunk.) I first glued up at 45 degrees, then cut and reglued at 30/60 degrees, then at 90 for the bands. It is a tricky turn, but what can I say? I like it.

Attachments

• Pen 10a.jpg
    Pen 10a.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 288
  • Pen 10b.jpg
    Pen 10b.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 375
Pen 11

Tell us about your entry: Made out of solid round bar of Mokume Gane forged from copper, nickel silver and brass. German Black ebonite section with Delta 14K Fine Nib

Attachments

• Pen 11a.jpg
    Pen 11a.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 464
  • Pen 11b.jpg
    Pen 11b.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 382

stonepecker

Even with only eleven to choose from .... I can't pick just one.
They are all winners in my book.

There are 3-4 of them I would love to own.........and I don't like foutain pens.
These designs are the some of the best I have ever seen.

How many are we allowed to pick? When is the run-off going to be?

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Normally I have 2 or 3 that are tough to choose between. THis year it was tough to narrow it down to 8 on the first run through. Eventually I made a choice but I felt like I was doing the other pens a great disservice. Great pens guys, some really top notch entries.

Wooden Brain

Awesome!

Even with only eleven to choose from .... I can't pick just one.
They are all winners in my book.

There are 3-4 of them I would love to own.........and I don't like fountain pens.
These designs are the some of the best I have ever seen.

You said it better than I could, because I am related to the scarecrow... just made from older and denser wood is all.

stonepecker

I just spent 45 minutes getting the top 4. Then I spent another 30 minutes going back and forth between them.
I got it down to two. And I couldn't pick just one.:eek:

So........With a flip of a coin, I voted for.........#........... :biggrin:

But I did vote.:party:

Brian G

I could spend every minute between now and when the poll closes, and still have a difficult time deciding. These are all fantastic.

Still deciding. . . .

SteveG

Ditto to every comment about not being able to narrow the field. Just a whole handful of #1 pens in this group. It is cruel and unusual punishment to demand of me to select only one. I think I need to see my therapist before I can move forward on this. Hep me...hep me...hep me. I am drowning in glorious pens!! :eek::eek:

I know!

I will vote for #12!!:biggrin:

Last edited:

magpens

Ditto to every comment about not being able to narrow the field. Just a whole handful of #1 pens in this group. It is cruel and unusual punishment to demand of me to select only one. I think I need to see my therapist before I can move forward on this. Hep me...hep me...hep me. I am drowning in glorious pens!! :eek::eek:

I know!

I will vote for #12!!:biggrin:

NO ! DON'T DO THAT !!!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

This is an incredible bunch of pens. Not just from a pretty pen point of view but also from a construction point of view. By the way, pen 12 has 2 votes.

Sent from my phone using some program.

LancsLad

Fantastic pens

Well this is my first time voting only joined in December. Wow
I have changed part of a quote from the turning for profit site to express how I feel.

All of you have not just made a pen.
You have given us part of your Artistic Soul

Thank you all:)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Top Bottom