• Contestant # 9

Votes: 12 9.9%
  • Contestant # 10

Votes: 3 2.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mr Vic

Welcome to the "Freestyle Casting Contest Test Poll!"

Please select your three favorite and cast your vote for them. The TOP 3 will be entered in the final vote starting Feb 25th

Contestant # 1

This is a Zen tube on casting in PR. The material is strips of celluloid, cut and glued onto the tube.

1(1).jpg
2(1).jpg
3.jpg

Contestant # 2

This blank started as a spalted birch blank, segmented with cross-cut walnut. I turned it thinner than a 7mm slimline and finished wood with tung oil. Blank was then cast in clear acrylic with copper flakes. Cigar style\n3rd picture is under 30x magnification

image(9).jpeg
image(10).jpeg
image(11).jpeg

Contestant # 3

USPS stamp on aluminum foil tape with copper patina foil tap trim.

image(14).jpeg
image(12).jpeg
image(13).jpeg

Contestant # 4

This argyle blank was made by first casting a black blank and turning round. The red areas were then carved, cast and turned followed by the green areas. Finally the gold stripe was carved cast and turned.

argyle1.JPG
argyle1.JPG
argyle1.JPG

Contestant # 5

This is a PR clear casting of layered foils on a Sierra-style tube. The base layer is copper foil textured with a wood rasp, and a nail set to represent rivets along the seam. I used decorative edge trimming scissors to cut the aluminum foil applied to the ends, and textured it with the etching on a spring punch. I used model paint to paint textured aluminum foil, and then a butterfly paper punch to punch out the butterflies.

FSCBB1.jpg
FSCBB2.jpg

Contestant # 6

This blank is made for a Jr. Gent 2 kit. The lower tube was covered with real Pheasant Feathers then sealed and cast in resin. The Upper tube was lengthened so the entire Federal Duck Stamp would fit with the perforation showing all the way around. The standard tube would cut the ends off the stamp and I didn't care for that particular look. After painting the background black I then glued the stamp to the tube and cast in resin. I then turned the blanks to proper dimensions using the Jr. Gent 2 Bushings.

cast 1.JPG
jr2.JPG
jr3.JPG

Contestant # 7

Watercolor paper Painted with watercolor paint. I have a method of deconstructing watercolor paper so it can be applied to surfaces with a brush. Using my secret technique I applied it to the tube. Then I painted on the watercolor paper with actual water color paint. It needed several layers to get it to the darkness that I desired. It needed several days for it to dry. From their I sealed the surface so the paint would not come off during the casting process. Finally I cast it in resin. This is the result of it after I turned it. You can see the texture to the paper as well as the paint.

144987d1456084000-2016-freestyle-casting-contest-preliminary-vote-iap-cast-1-s.jpg
144988d1456084000-2016-freestyle-casting-contest-preliminary-vote-iap-cast-2-s.jpg
144989d1456084000-2016-freestyle-casting-contest-preliminary-vote-iap-cast-3-s.jpg

Contestant # 8

This is a two sided seam ripper with the barrel painted. Buttons are then glued to the barrel, and when put in the mold, additional buttons are mixed with the resin.

20160109_085005.jpg
20160109_093145.jpg
20160109_105804.jpg

Contestant # 9

This is my entry into the Freestyle Casting category.\nThe brass tube was glued to a Rosewood blank, then turned down to the tube leaving a 5/16 band at either end of the blank. Epoxy was applied to the tube and aluminum filings were sprinkled in the first step. In step 2 more epoxy was applied and both brass and aluminum filings were was sprinkled on the blank. The blank was then put on a mandrel, that was attached to a BQ rotisserie that rotates slowly. Over a 2 hour period Amazing Clear Cast was applied to the blank, the rotation allows the resin to remain centered and was added as needed until the desired thickness was achieved.

DSC02150_2.jpg
DSC02152_2.jpg
DSC02157_2.jpg

Contestant # 10

Sweet Gum balls in castin craft resin colored with Pearlex gold pigment.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mr Vic

LKet's get out and Vote!

19 views so far and nobody has voted. I flubbed :redface: and put the vote under the contest forum. It's been moved over to the Voting Forum.

Mr Vic

Can you see them here?

Entry #7

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Entry 10

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• cast2rev-S.jpg
    cast2rev-S.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 680
  • castrev1-S.jpg
    castrev1-S.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 680
  • IAP Cast-1-S.jpg
    IAP Cast-1-S.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 688
  • IAP Cast-2-S.jpg
    IAP Cast-2-S.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 686
  • IAP Cast-3-S.jpg
    IAP Cast-3-S.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 710

bobleibo

I can see them all now......do you really expect us to pick only 3? These are so artistic and creative, nice job by all~

jttheclockman

Easy vote. A couple nice new ideas. Great job done by all. Good to see some fresh ideas. Good luck to all. Thanks for participating.

Top Bottom