Pen Stand Contest

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Pen Stand Competition

DO NOT POST PICTURES IN THIS THREAD

SEND Entries TO Pen Stand Competition

Welcome to the IAP BIRTHDAY BASH and the Pen Stand competition for 2016.

This contest is geared towards all IAP members with the basic goals of being creative and encouraging good sportsmanship.

Winners will be determined by posted poll of the members popular vote.

The final poll will be posted and the voting results will become public at that time.

The Universal Contest Rules apply unless otherwise stated
Universal Contest Rules

The Rules:
1) The stand must be made by you (the person entering the contest) from raw materials.

2) There are no restrictions on tools or techniques.
3) It is intended that you make a pen stand specifically for this contest. Your pen stand can not have been shown in any form in any way (on the web, in a catalog, at a meeting, whatever) before the contest judging is completed and winners are announced. This means you shouldn't make a pen stand that looks like one you've already shown somewhere. Push yourself and make something new and special for the contest.

4) The pen stand should be finished as though it was ready to be displayed with a pen.

5) Contest entries may submitted after February 1st Until February 15th

6) Only one pen stand may be submitted.

How to enter:

1. You will need to submit 4 pictures to enter.

2. The first three pictures should have the pen stand positioned flat on a plain solid color background and the pictures should be 800 pixels wide by 600 pixels tall. Rotate the pen stand in each of the three pictures so that all parts of the pen stand are visible in at least one of the pictures. The pen stand should fill the picture as much as possible. No props are allowed. Resizing and cropping of your photo are allowed. Adjustments to make the picture "true to life" are allowed (e.g. color balance or exposure adjustment), but should be minimal. Adjustments to hide things or make the pen stand look like something it is not are not allowed. If there is dust or flaws visible in the picture then (a) retake the pictures after removing the dust / fixing the flaw (real world, not photoshop flaw removal) or (b) submit as is. Contest chair reserves the right to crop / resize photos to bring them into compliance with contest guidelines. If you are cropping a photo of a pen stand to meet the size limit, all photos must be of the same section of the pen stand. No picking the best section of each side of the pen stand to submit.

3. The fourth picture should be a shot of the pen stand with a pen displayed.
4. All pictures should be submitted as jpg files with enough compression to keep each file size under 256KB. Email your five entry pictures and the required information (see below) to penstandcontests@gmail.com The following information is required:

a. The material used and method used to get to the final product.
b. Your IAP user name and your real name.
c. Prize winners may additionally be required to submit a mailing address for prize delivery,
but this is not required with the entry.

5. All emails submitted during the contest will be retained by me until the contest ends. After the contest is completed I will delete all emails I have received as well as the email account used for this contest. I will not retain or share email addresses with anyone.

Judging:
1. Winners will be decided by popular vote.

2. Depending on the number of entries there may be more than one vote.

3. Pictures will be posted and voting will begin on Monday Feb,16th.

4. Winners will be announced after the Polls are closed.

PRIZES

First- Gift Certificate #2 Suffolk machinery $100.00 ../.. Pen blanks healeydays $100.00

Second- Pen blanks Buzzz4 $50.00 ../..Cabellero #1 Smitty $60.00 ../..Glue Package -1 Sateillite City $40.00

Third- AAW membership Mr Vic $50.00 ../.. Gift certificate #2 Rockler $50.00

Folks let remember to Thank our sponsors for these fabulous prize packs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

firewhatfire

there was an error in the email address of the submission form.

if you submitted an entry, resubmit it please

if you do not get a confirmation of receipt of a submission please contact me here.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Phil Is the actual chair of the pen stand contest. I just posted it for him so it would be ready when we went live.
You can see he is posted as Contest Coordinator at the top of the page.

endacoz

the rules seem pretty wide open. It doesn't matter if the stand is meant to hold 1 pen or 30?

We are defining a stand as anything that holds a pen visible for display?

jttheclockman

Lets go people. Don't let me down. This is where the weak step away and the strong show what they got. Make this one of those contests that will be remembered for a long long time. Can not wait to see what comes along. :)

firewhatfire

Contest entries may submitted Until February 15th

Take advantage of this weekend to do 2 things make your special someone a special gift and make a Pen Stand and submit it in this contest

Mr Vic

If a pen is truly awesome and great to write with? Who needs a stand?:cool: You'll always have it in your hand to write with.:confused:

jttheclockman

If a pen is truly awesome and great to write with? Who needs a stand?:cool: You'll always have it in your hand to write with.:confused:

See that does not even hold water in this contest:) What is great about this contest is that both making the pen can be a winner and having a place for it to rest through the night can be another winner. Win, Win:biggrin:

firewhatfire

GOOD DAY FOLKS,

We have 4 awesome entries so far in this contest. You procrastinators have today only to get your submission done. I updated the post to show voting will start tomorrow instead of the 24th.

Brian G

Thanks for the response. Didn't think I would have time, have no plan, might not make it, but I'm winging it and I'll see what happens.

Brian G

Well, that didn't go so well. I think my glue was too old, and my lamination attempt failed. I'm out of this one. Looking forward to seeing the successful entries

Maverick KB

Another failed attempt and many lessons learned. This Bash has been an eye opener in what skills I need to work on over the next year... and what new toys (err tools) I must acquire!

jttheclockman

Another failed attempt and many lessons learned. This Bash has been an eye opener in what skills I need to work on over the next year... and what new toys (err tools) I must acquire!

Here is the best statement that I have seen that came out of the contests so far this year. Not that you had a failure but you recognize that you need to work on a few things. That is the beauty of these contests. There is that hidden message. It is not all about winning and losing. It teaches us to strive higher and push ourselves more as we see what our peers are doing. there is no reason we all can not get better at the many aspects of making pens.

I applaud you for making this statement and good luck as you progress. Don't be shy and ask questions. There are so many valued minds here that are more than willing to help. Good luck.

Top Bottom