Puzzle #6

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
We did manage to put together one more puzzle for your fun & amusement, so here's the link to Puzzle #6:

The Almost Daily Puzzler in Remembrance of Landon Smith

This will be the final puzzle of this year's BASH Puzzles, so we have spiced this one up a bit. It is a combination Word Find - Slider - Scavenger Hunt Puzzle. The instructions should be pretty well explanatory. Once you solve all the individual puzzles and find the proper completion code, enter it in the usual fashion.

You may enter only once and you cannot make any changes once you submit your entry. This puzzle will close at 3:00 PM CST on Sunday (Feb 28). All correct entries will earn one point toward the overall puzzle prize count.

Post any questions that you might have in this thread.

As always, banter is welcome & encouraged, but please do not ask for or post any real hints.

I will announce the winners of this puzzle and the overall puzzle prizes sometime Sunday evening.

Good luck & thanks for playing
Edga

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Does the second puzzle show when you have it completed?

The bottom puzzle is a picture slider puzzle. You just need to solve that one to know what pen photo to search for.

The top puzzle is a word search. You have to solve that one to get the instructions of what to search for about that pen photo in order to get your completion code.

You need to go through all 3 steps - solve the word search & the photo slider, then go on the scavenger hunt to find your completion code.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member

Are you trying to use an iPhone or iPad?

The picture puzzles use Flash which is not supported directly by iOS. Some 3rd party browsers have a flash emulation, but these puzzles don't work well on them. You really need to use a computer browser.

Leo S. Long

Ed

Dose the puzzles have to be finished at the time you answer the code question? The reason I ask is because I finished both, but the page was shut down. I still have not figured out what the answer is and am not sure if I will, but if I do I need to know if I have to do the puzzles all over again.

Leo

Karl_99

"We did manage to put together one more puzzle for your fun & amusement" I think you meant your amusement! Finding the photo is torture...my eyes have glazed over!!!

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Leo,

You complete the first puzzle to get the question you need to answer for the second puzzle to find the completion code. The question does not change so once you know the question on the first puzzle, you can come back later to fill in the answer.

SteveJ

The picture puzzles use Flash which is not supported directly by iOS. Some 3rd party browsers have a flash emulation, but these puzzles don't work well on them. You really need to use a computer browser.

No, I'm using a computer, the question was whether the slider gave an indication of when it was completed. There are two pieces in the slider which can be reversed, so I was wondering if it was going to show when I got them in the right order.

I could already see the pens, now I just have to hope I recognized the kit...

Last edited by a moderator:

Drewboy22

No, I'm using a computer, the question was whether the slider gave an indication of when it was completed. There are two pieces in the slider which can be reversed, so I was wondering if it was going to show when I got them in the right order.

I could already see the pens, now I just have to hope I recognized the kit...

Yes it does. I had the same two pieces backwards and when I figured it out it said congrats :) and added the missing piece to the puzzle.

Now I just gotta find the scavenger hunt part *Grrrrr*

Last edited:

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Don't forget - you need to get your entries for this puzzle in by 3:00 pm CST tomorrow (Sunday).

I will actually accept entries up to the time that I announce that the puzzle is closed which might be a little after 3 pm, but you should try to get them in before 3 pm to be sure you don't miss the cutoff.

Thanks for playing.
Edgar

Karl_99

Looks like I need to redo mine...I thought I completed the slider, but there were no "Congrats" or firework or even a sexy voice saying "nice work"

alankulwicki7

Looks like I need to redo mine...I thought I completed the slider, but there were no "Congrats" or firework or even a sexy voice saying "nice work"

I could be wrong but I don't think there will be fireworks. I think you need to find the post with the pens in the picture to get your answer...

Drewboy22

I could be wrong but I don't think there will be fireworks. I think you need to find the post with the pens in the picture to get your answer...

This is true, but if you complete the puzzle it does pop up with a Congratulations thingy.

This was the only puzzle I have been able to complete, so I wanted to make sure it was done right. I didnt even stand a chance with that crossword puzzle:mad::confused::mad:

allmaclean

I didn't get any congrats but I had it finished with the empty square bottom right. It didn't fill in either and complete the picture. Had to upgrade flash midway through and repeat word puzzle again as well

Leo S. Long

Well that's all for tonight. Redid the puzzles received all the congratulations, still can't find the picture. Maybe later in the mourning.

Leo

Leo S. Long

Well I put a guess in, most likely not right. Just could not find the photo. Must have looked at thousand or more pictures and tried every search combo I could think of, redid the puzzles five or six times to see if I missed a clue. It probably was not that hard to fine if you knew what you were looking for. Oh well it was fun anyway. A big thanks to Edgar and all who put these puzzles together.

Leo

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Puzzle #6 is now closed.

I will announce the results of this puzzle and the overall Puzzle Contest winners later this evening.

There are probably a number of ways to find this photo on the IAP web site short of brute force searching.

One way is to simply make a screen shot of the completed puzzle picture, save it to your computer and use it to perform an Internet search with Google Images.

Another way is to use the IAP search feature with various key words. One word that works particularly well is tipless.

Give them a try & see if you can find the photo & thread in the IAP archives before I reveal it all.

Thanks for playing - we had 27 entries for this puzzle.

Edgar

Drewboy22

Puzzle #6 is now closed.

I will announce the results of this puzzle and the overall Puzzle Contest winners later this evening.

There are probably a number of ways to find this photo on the IAP web site short of brute force searching.

One way is to simply make a screen shot of the completed puzzle picture, save it to your computer and use it to perform an Internet search with Google Images.

Another way is to use the IAP search feature with various key words. One word that works particularly well is tipless.

Give them a try & see if you can find the photo & thread in the IAP archives before I reveal it all.

Thanks for playing - we had 27 entries for this puzzle.

Edgar

DOH!! I used nibless :bulgy-eyes:

JCochrun

Wrong answer for me. I don't think I got a single puzzle answer correct. Oh well. NO prizes for me for this Bash. Maybe next year.

Jim

SteveJ

So I'm guessing that there were two parts to the answer? I submitted my answer from the first part before reading that the second part gave a completion notice - and I assume a second part to the code...I knew it was too easy!

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
There is only one part to the answer, but as I pointed out in the first thread, this was a 3-part puzzle and you had to solve all 3 puzzles in order to get the answer. I tried to emphasize that fact in Post #3, but I didn't want to go into too much detail and give it away.

Puzzle 1 was the word search - you had to solve that to get the instructions for the completion code. Note that it asked for the size of the drill bit that was used to make the pens in the photo.

Puzzle 2 was the slider - you had to solve that to know what pen photo to look for in the IAP archives.

Puzzle 3 was the scavenger hunt - you had to solve that to find out what size drill bit was used to make the pen.

You needed to find this thread from 2006:

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f13/tipless-slim-line-17991/

These pens were made by Russ Fairfield using a very innovative technique. It's a technique that I haven't seen used since I've been a member, but it's pretty doggone neat! You had to read through the thread a little ways, but Russ explained in detail how he made these pens, including the drill bit that he used.

If you haven't found it yet, it's definitely worth reading.

Top Bottom