Puzzle #1 --> Round 2 --> Try Again

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Well, I really did think that this was going to be an easy wood ID, but apparently not. As of 12:30 am CST, I have received 19 entries without a single correct guess.

SO, I am going to flush all entries and give you a few more hints AND another chance. Everyone who has already submitted a guess can submit another guess for Puzzle #1.

Of course anyone who has not yet made a guess can still do so and I will extend the time for Puzzle #1 until midnight tonight.

I won't list all the wrong guesses, but each of you who have already submitted a guess does know one species that it is not - please do not share your previous guesses with anyone else.

This tree fell down last September which is when I cut this wood, primarily to remove the parts that fell across our road and onto the fence. However, I did not pick up those logs with my loader & take those first two photos until 4 month later, in mid Jan. The cut ends of the wood darkened somewhat during that time and I think that may be throwing some of you off. You should look more at the bark than the cut ends.

Here is another photo of the tree. This is the longer, bottom part of the tree and this photo was taken in Sep when I trimmed all the small top branches and cut the wood that is in the front end loader. All colors in all 3 photos are pretty accurate, but this photo shows what a fresh cut looks like.

I will also say that this was a pretty large tree for this species. It can get even larger, but I have never seen many that are even half the size of this one.

Good luck
Edgar

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

The Penguin

how about an actual puzzle, and not a guessing game?

:biggrin:

now that you've posted a better picture, I'll have to change my original answer

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
how about an actual puzzle, and not a guessing game?

:biggrin:

now that you've posted a better picture, I'll have to change my original answer

A new guess would be wise. :)

We expect to have 7 actual puzzles this year, about the same as last year. However, because we have more prizes available this year, we have added 3 Wood IDs to the Puzzle Contest. I started with a Wood ID to give Curtis a little extra time to get the puzzles loaded to the BASH server.

Skeleton2014

You could extend the deadline until midnight a year from now and I still wouldn't get it. Never was good at wood identification. Could we get Puzzle #2 (a real puzzle) to start working on?:biggrin:
Jeff

Bob Wemm

this looks like the deadly poisonous FORwood Tree. You better just send it to me where I can extract the poison from it and save you.
FORwood = (Found on Road wood)

I'm sure you are right Mark. After all Ed did say he would accept the common name for this species, so if you entered this name you have to win.:biggrin::biggrin:

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I'm going to leave this contest open until abou 10 am CST on Thusday, so you still have time to submit a guess if you haven't already done so.

We do have some correct entries this time.

Top Bottom