Auction #1 - Russ Farfield Bowl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
AUCTION #1: Signed Russ Fairfield Bowl

attachment.php

[profile=GoodTurns]Jon Piper[/profile] won this bowl at $160 in a Bash '09 auction, and has very generously donated it back for auction this year. For those not familiar with our history, Russ Fairfield was a very influential turner who made many significant contributions to IAP in our early years. THANK YOU, JON!

Attachments

• RussRedBowl-sm.jpg
    RussRedBowl-sm.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 798

bobleibo

Thank you Jon for your very generous and thoughtful donation!
And away we go..........who will open with $25 just to get us started

EDIT: This auction will end at 9:00 P.M. EST on Friday February 12th

Last edited by a moderator:

TimS124

I was trying to figure out if there was a minimum opening bid...too late it appears. So, I'll bump the bidding to get us closer to the closing price.

$50.

bobleibo

I like the way you guys think.........I just didn't want to appear greedy - yet.
Jon is bidding on his own bowl..... awesome!

Bid is at $100......I'll step aside and watch you folks run away with it.

bobleibo

While many of you are admiring this bowl, here is some info..

As you know, Russ is no longer with us. He was an integral part of the IAP and his pieces have long been considered a keepsake by many. This is a way for his works to continue supporting the IAP that we all have learned so much from and enjoy.
This bowl is about 6.375" in diameter, about 2 inches tall and top opening is about 5.5". The wood is ash, dyed red. The grain is gold and the skin of the bowl is a dark red
The bottom is signed, "Russ Fairfield Feb '97 ASH"

Last edited:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I just got back home from running the bosses errand. :frown: It looks like the bidding has started. The FIRST thing I want to do is, thank Jon for donating this rare item to the bash.

Thank you Tom for your generous bid.

Now, who will make an even better bid? :biggrin:

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
While many of you are admiring this bowl, here is some info..

As you know, Russ is no longer with us. He was an integral part of the IAP and his pieces have long been considered a keepsake by many. This is a way for his works to continue supporting the IAP that we all have learned so much from and enjoy.
This bowl is about 6.375" in diameter, about 2 inches tall and top opening is about 5.5". The wood is ash, dyed red. The grain is gold and the skin of the bowl is a dark red
The bottom is signed, "Russ Fairfield Feb '97 ASH"

This auction brings up some very good memories for me.

Although I never met Russ, his videos made you feel like he was an old pal giving you some friendly advice. I did speak to him on the phone a few times, and he was extremely cordial and friendly.

I very clearly remember watching a VHS tape of one of Russ's early penturning videos a day or so after Christmas in the late 90's. I watched it a couple times, then went down to the shop to make a pen. I'd bought all the tools and supplied from Hut, and they had arrived that day as well. I still have that pen somewhere. What a feeling, and I've always felt indebted to Russ. He often turned Pacific Yew in his videos, and I still enjoy turning that species.

Russ joined IAP on Feb 10, 2004, and it's not a coincidence that I chose today to start this auction. He was member #94, and I was absolutely shocked when he joined. He was famous! We were in the formative stages of the IAP, and Russ was a great help and very generous with his time.

Here was Russ's first post, an answer to a question I posted on 2/13/2004 asking about the difference between the Hut Titan and the Berea El Grande

HUT is a reseller for Berea kits. The pens are identical and the parts are interchangeable. Only the packaging, label, instructions, and sometimes the price will be different.

If you need the instructions, buy the kit from HUT because their instructions are better (my opinion). Otherwise go for the lower price.

Both Berea and HUT recommend a 31/64" drill for the main body. Berea recommends a 33/64" for the cap tube, while HUT recommends a larger 17/32" The cap tube can be a tight fit in the smaller hole, and may even require sanding inside the hole if there is any fuzz from drilling. For that reason, HUT is recommending the larger drill for the cap to make it easier to glue in the tube. However, there is the increased risk of turning through the wood

Jon, thanks for sending the bowl to a new home, and thanks for the opportunity to enjoy some fond memories of a great friend.

stonepecker

Jeff,
It is stories like the one you posted and others that will keep the name "Russ Fairfield" alive long after some of us are gone. If you have more or if others have some I urge you to post them. Get them down for everyone to read. And do it soon before it gets to late.

For those who don't remember.......the first Bash I was in, there were two R. Fairfield pens up for auction. The first one got out of my price range real fast. I expected that. The second one, I got. When I called Jeff to let him know it arrived safely..... He told me the story about that pen. By the time we ended the call.......that pen became priceless to me.
I would really like to read more about the man Russ was and how he impacted not only the IAP.......But the members that remember him.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
The color and, shape of this bowl are incredible. It looks like it could have been poured from a mold.

How about that $200.00 bid? :wink:

bobleibo

Every time I look at this bowl, it makes me think of architect Frank Lloyd Wright who was known for clean, simple and elegant lines in the design of his buildings.

Let's get over the $200 mark.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Every time I look at this bowl, it makes me think of architect Frank Lloyd Wright who was known for clean, simple and elegant lines in the design of his buildings.

Let's get over the $200 mark.

Simple and clean lines were something most of Russ's pieces had in common. I had the pleasure to have quite a number of his turnings pass through my hands on their way to a new home, and they were all a joy to hold. I purchased about 20 of his turnings; bowls, pens, boxes, a vase, and a plate, from his widow, and we auctioned them with a good chunk of the proceeds going to her.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Thank you for the interesting information Jeff.

HCPENS has the highest bid at $180.00

Do we hear $200.00 for this beautiful Russ Fairfield bowl???

bobleibo

G'night

Think folks have faded off for the night. Feel free to keep on bidding for those in earlier time zones. We'll pick this up again in the morning. In the mean time, dig in the cushions, cash in those pop bottles (do they still do that?), empty the change in the ashtrays in your cars and remember that the money raised during the auction supports the place that has done so much for so many in terms of learning new skills and meeting new friends.
Last one out, please turn off the lights
Good Night~
Bob

SteveG

I plan to be a part of the auction activity this year, so it is time to get started. It looks as though I can get some fleeting, temporary ownership of this beautiful bowl with it great back story. Breaking the $200 barrier, I will throw down the challenge...

$201

Who is up to it?

tjseagrove

I plan to be a part of the auction activity this year, so it is time to get started. It looks as though I can get some fleeting, temporary ownership of this beautiful bowl with it great back story. Breaking the $200 barrier, I will throw down the challenge...

$201

Who is up to it?

$250 TAKE THAT!! :biggrin:

bobleibo

Good Morning...

Thank you Steve and Tom, you sure know how to help start the day off right !! No doubt the Russ Fairfield bowl is going to find a terrific new home. Question is ...with who and where?

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader

bobleibo

I keep trying to help you guys out before you shoot yourselves in the foot...

Instead of ..
"I'm married to the other one, so I guess this is the only one I can get rid of!!!!! "

it should say..

"I'm married to the other one, so I guess this is the only one I'd be willing to part with !!!!!

I should send you guys a bill for the advice! :biggrin:

bobleibo

Current bid from Tom is $250. Who will get this very special piece from Russ Fairfield? It could be YOU~ Do we hear $270 yet?

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
We've received several nice bids!​

THANK YOU
to
Tim
Tom
Richard
Steve
There's plenty of room for your valuable name to be added to the list of elites! Who will top $250.00 ?

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I'm going to make a correction of the ending time for this and future auctions. The ending time will be AROUND 9:00 PM Eastern Time on the 12th of Feb.

Sorry for any confusion. :wink:

Top Bottom