Wood Identification Contest for New Members

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
From time to time, I will hold special activities or contests just for our new members.

Sometime this weekend, I will post a Wood Identification Contest just for our new members who have joined IAP in 2015.

This will probably be an easy & short contest, so be sure to watch this thread for the start of the contest so you can get your guesses in and have a chance to win.

The prize will be a small flat rate box of blanks.

Edgar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
OK, folks - this contest is now open for your enjoyment.

As noted earlier, this is a contest for new members who have joined IAP during 2015. Anyone else is welcome to post comments and banter, but please do not post any serious guesses or hints.

This contest is actually a combination of wood identification and analytical skills. Pay attention to the clues that I post because they may help you more than the photos.

We were planning to go to the farm to start our pecan harvest this weekend, but that got rained out. Instead, I went out to the shop & cut up a log that I've had sitting around for a while. I made some bowl blanks, spindles and pen blanks. Some of those pen blanks will be in the prize package.

What species of wood do you think that I was cutting up?

Here's a photo of some of the bark off that log.

Post your guesses in this thread. You may make as many guesses as you wish, but only one per post. If you post more that one guess in a post, I will only consider the first one.

If someone else posts a guess that you think is correct, don't shy away from posting the same guess because I may award more than one prize.

Good luck & have fun
Edgar

Attachments

• Bark.jpg
    Bark.jpg
    293.1 KB · Views: 285

WillinSEMN

I'm no botanist....

I'm going to guess the log came from a pecan tree...mainly based on the clues in the story (plus a quick google images search).

WS

Skie_M

I think we'ld be barking mad NOT to pick pecan, lol ...

My neighboor has a paper pecan tree, it looks quite different, but the pecans are very easy to shell by hand. :)

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Pecan would have been too easy :)

The bark certainly does look similar to pecan, but you'll have to look a little deeper into that first clue.

Lady_Acoma

Soooo... You have a wet farm and a former log which is now in pieces all prepared for turning. I know that it is not pecan and that it appears is wood of the photogenic variety. Got it.

Red Cedar

WillinSEMN

I was going to say Mesquite based on the Texas locale but I don't think that is it.

If I'm not correct with camphor (very possible), then my next guess is that it is one of those Alumilite trees that all the fancy blanks come from :)

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
We have a Winner!

Annnnnnd, we have a winner.

Congratulations

WillinSEMN

The log was indeed one of the big chunks of camphor from the thread that you referenced. The primary clue was that I had this log sitting around for a while & I hoped that someone would search some of my previous posts for possibilities. :)

PM me your address and I'll send you a small flat rate box of blanks. About half will be from the log that I cut up yesterday and the rest will be some of my other Texas blanks.

Here's a couple of photos of some of the wood that I cut up yesterday. The two round bowl blanks are 6" dia x 4" tall and 7" dia x 6" tall. In addition to these, I got several more nice spindles and a bunch of pen blanks.

Thanks to all who participated. I hope you enjoyed the contest.
Edgar

Attachments

• Camphor1.jpg
    Camphor1.jpg
    237 KB · Views: 213
  • Camphor2.jpg
    Camphor2.jpg
    304.5 KB · Views: 171

WillinSEMN

Thanks for organizing a fun contest. I'm glad I dug through some of the old forum messages (bark still looks like bark to me).

I have really enjoyed the community here at IAP. I've got a few pens that I'm working on and hope to post some photos this week.

Cheers,
Will (in SouthEast MN)

WillinSEMN

Edgar:

Box of blanks arrived today...they look great. Looking forward to turning some pens with them.

Thanks again
Will

Attachments

• IMG_1958.jpg
    IMG_1958.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 217

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
My pleasure, Will. I hope you enjoy the blanks. Some of that camphor should have great chatoyancy & your shop will smell great.

Top Bottom