IAP Smartphone App Discussions - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Welcome to penturners.org! > IAP Management Team > New Member Advocate
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
New Member Advocate Edgar Dohmann is the IAP New Member Advocate

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2015, 02:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
New Member Advocate

Photos: 23

Default IAP Smartphone App Discussions

Rather than create a new forum for app discussions at this time, we will use my New Member Advocate forum for that purpose. Feel free to start new threads in this forum for any discussions, questions or commentary regarding our Bushings and Tubes app.

Thanks for all the kind comments about the app so far. I am glad that I was able to create the app, but the app would not have been possible if it had not been for all of Wayne's hard work and dedication in building the bushing & tube charts these past few years.

Edgar
Old 12-10-2015, 02:40 PM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Any suggestions? I loaded the app from Apple, the icon is displayed, but when I tap on it, I get the opening page and then my phone goes back to the icon screen. I never get to see the listings.
Hope to use it because there are times when I'm out that I need the info for me and others.
Thanks.
Gordon

The word 'listen' contains the same letters as the word 'silent. Is that like <<<<<ZIP IT<<<<<<

Last edited by flyitfast; 12-10-2015 at 02:42 PM.
flyitfast is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-10-2015, 02:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
New Member Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyitfast View Post
Any suggestions? I loaded the app from Apple, the icon is displayed, but when I tap on it, I get the opening page and then my phone goes back to the icon screen. I never get to see the listings.
Hope to use it because there are times when I'm out that I need the info for me and others.
Thanks.
Gordon
What version of iPhone & which iOS version are you using?

It should work on anything from iPhone 4 and up and iOS7 and up. I have tested it on most combinations, but it's almost impossible to test every possible combination.

You might try deleting the app & reinstalling it.

Edgar
Advertisement
Old 12-10-2015, 08:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

Edgar,
I'm using an IPhone 5, not sure of the OS but it is standard for that phone and was updated a month or so ago.
I did delete it and reinstall it. Same problem.
If I tap on the icon it should come up and stay with the tables, right?
Anyway, I'll try to delete it again and see what happens.
Thanks for the response.
Gordon

The word 'listen' contains the same letters as the word 'silent. Is that like <<<<<ZIP IT<<<<<<
flyitfast is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-10-2015, 09:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
New Member Advocate

Gordon,
Check your iOS version (Settings -> General) & make sure that you have either 9.1 or 9.2. The app works well with both of those versions on an iPhone 5.

If you do have either 9.1 or 9.2, try rebooting your device -- hold down the sleep/wake button at the top of the phone & the home button at the bottom simultaneously until the phone powers down. Then power it back up with the sleep/wake button & see if it works correctly.

If you still have the problem, you might need to do a device restore via iTunes.

Edgar
Old 12-13-2015, 12:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

Photos: 58

Just as a point of information, I have an ancient 4S running 8.3 and the app seems fine.

I really need a new phone!
Old 12-13-2015, 03:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Former Moderator

Photos: 7

One more hint.. If an app acts weird, double check your free space. iOS gets a little weird when space is low and doesn't give good warning as to why.

Fill in your info!! so we can find out if your near other turners!
alphageek is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-13-2015, 10:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

Hadn't heard about an app until now. Great idea. Will it be available on android?

I went to google store and searched IAP and found one with a tag line "The world of wood is now at your fingertips". The logo is VERY similiar to ours here. Downloaded it and it turns out to be Indiana Architectural Plywood.
kenlicciardello is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-14-2015, 12:53 AM   #9 (permalink)
New Member Advocate

We would very much like to be able to offer an Android version, but it all depends on someone who is capable of developing Android apps stepping up to volunteer for that role.

So far, two people have expressed an interest in working on an Android app and I have sent them enough info to evaluate whether it will be a feasible task for them.

It remains to be seen if either or both of them will be interested in taking on this project. Mobile app development is not trivial programming & we are an all-volunteer organization.

At this stage of my life, after nearly 50 years of software design & development, I have no interest or desire to learn any more programming languages or SDKs. I do hope someone in the community will have that inclination though & I will be glad to assist them.
Old 12-14-2015, 11:16 AM   #10 (permalink)
New Member Advocate

Just to follow up on Gordon's (flyitfast) problem with the app. He has reported to me that the app works fine on his iPhone 5 after he upgraded the iOS to 9.2.

I still don't know exactly what the problem was, but I suspect that he was running 9.0 at the time he was having problems. That iOS version was quite buggy and Apple made lots of corrections between 9.0 and 9.1.

So far, not a single bug has been reported with the app (that's not to say that it is 100% bug free, but at least none have yet been reported).

On the other hand, not a single improvement has yet been suggested either. Does it really do everything you could possibly want from such an app?? No promises, but all suggestions will be considered.

Edgar
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads