Your choice of Grinding Wheels

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sequoia

I bought a relatively inexpensive slow speed grinder. It came with really bad wheels with no bushings. I tried to balance the wheels, but I think most of the issues are with the lack of bushings and chips and unevenness in the arbor holes.

I verified that I have about 1/1000th of runout or less on the arbors so I am confident that the issues are with the wheels.

Having said that, I'd like your opinion on a pretty rock solid setup.

What's your choice of wheels (as I will need two) and bushings?

Has anyone tried the Raptor bushings Link here:
https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p...ng-2-Piece-Set

Appreciate any feedback on wheels and bushing suggestions.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

CBN 8 inch from D-way tools (or the like) on the right
Norton's 40 to 60 grit on the left.

That is my choice.

However, I understand that many have excellent results with stock wheels, premium friable wheels (like the Norton's) as well as belt sanders of all types, or just plane hones/stones.

In fact, I have 2 or 3, 8" inch stock wheels that came with my Delta variable speed. They are anybody's for the cost of postage.... ..probably $12 to $14 in a medium flat rate box. The only action they have seen is me removing them from a new grinder. Some caution about these cracking or fracturing during shipping...so beware.

Wildman

I like D-Way wheels, he explains how to measure you grinder shaft before you order. You would have to e-mail him if need bushings modified. His wheels are wider than many of his competitors and worth the money when consider will be last wheel you buy. Some people buy both 80 & 120 grit wheels. Think he explains very well what you need to know at his web site & video's.

Diamond Grinding Wheels | CBN Grinding Wheels | Diamond Sharpening Wheels

When upgrade my grinder will ensure have correct shaft lenght. I would run an 80 CBN wheel for resharpening and Norton 46 grit wheel for changing bevel angles or repairing a bevel. Only problem with AO friable wheels are those plastic telescoping bushings quality is hit or miss. Have had pretty good luck but have swapped out new bushings for old on one wheel, trued the wheel with my diamond dresser so good to go! Some folks have purchased metal bushing from Enco or MSC so no problem for them.

You can shop around and cheaper deals on CBN wheels besides D-Way or Raptor. At the end of the day I prefer Dave's wheels.

TonyL

Only tried Dave's and love them. I also bought his skew and gouge, and I just bought his CBN hone. All excellent products...but that doesn't mean there are alternatives. We don't know what we don't know (or I just ask KenV :) ).

I use it with a wolvering compatible Robo Rest.

Lots of folks have been buying the Sorbey Belt System. Which may or may not be less expensive when you add up the cost of the 8 inch grinder, CBN, and wolverine, and Robo rest. Some have both.

Wildman

I want a CBN wheel but don't really need one to sharpen my turning tools.
Doug Thomson has said, "only people promoting CBN wheels are guys selling them and those guys that bought them." Doug uses AO friable wheels to put an edge on all the tools he sells except skews. I agree with what Doug said because know how to sharpen my tools, but do respect other opinions.

CBN wheels advantage mainly about cleanliness, safety, and service life! One reason linked and encourage anyone thinking about CBN wheels to check out Dave at D-Way Tools he lets you know what to expect from CBN wheels and has the most satisfied customers of any vendors out there.

Yes have less expensive wheels out there, but have no experience with them.

CBN Wheels – Wood Turners Wonders

CBN Grinding Wheels

Packard Woodworks: The Woodturner's Source: CBN Wheels

https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/174/5784/Raptor-8"-CBN-Fine-Sharpening-Wheel-with-Arbor-Bushing

Nice article, by Reed Gray aka Robo Hippy;
Featured Article: CBN Grinding Wheels by Reed Gray

Two types of Robo rest;
Store

PMisiaszek

I have two CBN wheels I bought from Woodturners Wonders that I can recommend. He is selling them for $125 each or $249 for a pair. They fit the grinder shaft and he sells a set of alignment washers that make setup a breeze. Right now he is including a Galaxy LED work light with each wheel purchased. The online transaction could not have gone more smoothly and I really like sharpening on CBN wheels.

TonyL

I hear his are very good. I may try a pair. I believe they are not as wide as the others though. I am sure it doesn't make much difference.

Fish30114

I bought a pair from Ken, he is a great guy, I also bought a set of the washers, and that leads me to one thing I love about these wheels--they run super true and quiet. In fact you have to pay attention because they will keep spinning for a long time after you turn your machine off! The other two benefits the folks who lobby against CBN wheels, are that they run/sharpen really cool, so you won't burn the temper out of your tools--the other thing is that if you get/have some of the newer PM tools, or 10V steel tools, regular wheels won't cut em, Cindy Drozda sells her tools in 10V, and she recommends only getting them if you have CBN wheels to sharpen them with. I absolutely love mine, and Ken is the man to go to IMO, I bought a pair at 80 & 220 grit.
Good luck with whichever way you go!

sbwertz

What I like about the CBN wheels is that the tools don't seem to heat up when sharpening like they do on a standard wheel. I no longer have to douse them in water when sharpening. I only have one tool that NEEDS the CBN...my negative rake scraper, but I love the way they sharpen all my tools.

Top Bottom