Would you make a pen here?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jcm71

LOML and I are having our kitchen redone. New counters, counter tops and cabinets and a new floor. I get the old cabinets and have room to put 11 feet of the old counters. It'll be nice to finally be nice to have storage in the shop for all the crap I've accumulated over the years. Throwing stuff away is not an option. The bare wall you see in two of the pics used to be occupied by an old computer desk and a bureau that I used to store pen blanks in. Hope to have this all done before Jan 10. The last pic is of our kitchen and the cabinets I'll be getting.

Attachments

• IMG_0716.jpg
    IMG_0716.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 433
  • IMG_0717.jpg
    IMG_0717.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 356
  • IMG_0718.jpg
    IMG_0718.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 386
  • IMG_0719.jpg
    IMG_0719.jpg
    269.5 KB · Views: 343
  • IMG_0720.jpg
    IMG_0720.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 399
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Herb G

You having your kitchen redone by Jan 10? What year? 2020? :biggrin:
I'm willing to bet you won't find it a pleasant task, nor on time.
There is always the hidden damage nobody sees until they rip the walls out.

I am the survivor of many, many home renovations & house flips.
I can speak with absolute certainty on one thing.

It's a young man's game.
Good on ya for re-using the cabinets though. What you don't use, you can always donate to a home charity. They love getting stuff like that.
Most will even come get it from you.:)

jcm71

Perhaps I was not clear enough. I hope to have the old cabinets installed in my shop by the tenth. Kitchen completion will be later. Lucky to have it done by 31 Jan.

SteveG

You asked a question in the thread header.

Ans: NO!

You will love the good feeling of an organized shop. My suggestion is to not settle on: "Just getting it useable". That can be a big temptation, and lead to excessive delay in getting the shop you want. Instead, make a full plan and keep at it until done. Make a punch list, and use it. I hope it goes well, and congrats on your (almost) new shop.

stonepecker

Great use of the old cabinets. Draw out how you want things and make a plan.

You will love the fact that things are put away. Be sure to put some peg board up under the cabinets even if you have to raise then some. Best place to hang the things you need at all times.

Looking for pictures on the 11th of the 'completed' new work space.

KBs Pensnmore

Congratulations on getting the cupboards. I wouldn't use pegboard, the clips keep falling out all the time, I spend more time looking for the clips than turning. I'd make a proper shadow board with cup hooks or timber blocks/dowels to support/hold my constantly used items. Makes it a lot easier at the end of the day to clean up, you can easily see what's missing.
Kryn

jcm71

You will love the fact that things are put away. Be sure to put some peg board up under the cabinets even if you have to raise then some. Best place to hang the things you need at all times.

No pics on the 11th, Wayne. I want to get this done before the 10th. On the 10th I'm scheduled for rotator cuff surgery. Even though the shop may be ready, I won't be until around the end of March.

stonepecker

No pics on the 11th, Wayne. I want to get this done before the 10th. On the 10th I'm scheduled for rotator cuff surgery. Even though the shop may be ready, I won't be until around the end of March.

Who said you have to take the pictures.....:biggrin:
Alright, willing to wait till after the surgery......provided you do everything the doctor says. :tongue::rolleyes:
Just be taking your time but remember to show us all what you come up with. I enjoy seeing other peoples ideas. :cool:

jcm71

Quick update on shop renovation. All but the two cabinets that were over the frig and the microwave have been installed. I was able to put 10 1/2 feet of counters on the left hand wall. Unfortunately not enough counter tops. Too many mitered corners in the kitchen. Tomorrow I'm taking two sections down to the fellow who is making our new cabinets, and he is going to cut the 45 degree angle off of them so I can butt them together.

Attachments

• IMG_0500.jpg
    IMG_0500.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_0501.jpg
    IMG_0501.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 156

jcm71

Shop update:
With the exception of some minor housekeeping my shop rebuild is done. Still want to put a small peg board or shadow board to the between my abranet rolls and the Tormek (yellow cover). I'm still not 100% happy with where I have everything stored, but it's a start. This will all have to wait at least six weeks. Today is SWMBO's birthday and we're heading out to dinner. Tomorrow I get to have rotator cuff surgery. Thank's for looking.

Attachments

• IMG_0512.jpg
    IMG_0512.jpg
    271.8 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_0513.jpg
    IMG_0513.jpg
    278 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_0514.jpg
    IMG_0514.jpg
    259.9 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_0515.jpg
    IMG_0515.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 165

stonepecker

Looking great ..... Nothing wrong with that design. You can always adjust as needed.

Will be sending good thoughts for the surgery and hope that you do everything the doctors says. That way you might be back just a little sooner.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Congratulations on getting the cupboards. I wouldn't use pegboard, the clips keep falling out all the time, I spend more time looking for the clips than turning. I'd make a proper shadow board with cup hooks or timber blocks/dowels to support/hold my constantly used items. Makes it a lot easier at the end of the day to clean up, you can easily see what's missing.
Kryn

Hi Kryn,

I'm curious as to what thickness & hole sizes are in Australian pegboard that you have that kind of problem?

My shop walls are covered with full sheets of pegboard and I have absolutely no problem with hooks coming loose or falling out. We have two common hole sizes here - 1/8" and 1/4". The smaller ones don't fit as tight & the holders are kinda flimsy, so those can sometimes be problematic. However the 1/4" hardware has a really tight fit in those larger holes & the hardware is much sturdier.

jttheclockman

To me sometimes too many cabinets can be installed. Yes they hold alot and things are out of site but that can work against you too. Peg board has its place and 1/4 " peg board works well. You get to see the tools and within easy reach.

Top Bottom