Would like your advice about a table saw - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Shops, Jigs, Fixtures & Tools
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Shops, Jigs, Fixtures & Tools Show off and discuss your workshop and everything in it.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2019, 08:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
KLJ

Photos: 29

Default Would like your advice about a table saw

I am looking at buying a jet jtsa-12 table saw. It has 5 hp motor, 12 inch blade,
jet exacta II 50 in fence system. Do any of you have experience with or opinions concerning this saw. Thank you in advance for your help.
KLJ is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-12-2019, 11:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLJ View Post
I am looking at buying a jet jtsa-12 table saw. It has 5 hp motor, 12 inch blade,
jet exacta II 50 in fence system. Do any of you have experience with or opinions concerning this saw. Thank you in advance for your help.
May I ask why 12". You are stepping into high dollar territory that unless you need that cutting capacity is really overkill. So many more 10" blades and configurations out there. Spend the money on a SawStop saw if money is no object. Just an opinion. Is this a contractors saw or cabinet saw?? There are some models discontinued so beaware of that too if buying used. Would like to hear your plans.

Last edited by jttheclockman; 02-12-2019 at 11:33 PM.
KLJ
jttheclockman is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-13-2019, 10:22 AM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 1

I owned a Jet Anniversary Edition 10" cabinet saw with a 3hp 220v motor. Nothing stopped that blade from turning. When I moved I sold it to a guy who has told me he's still using it and loves it. Like JT asked, why a 12"? The 10" has a far better blade selection and unless you're cutting steel it will handle any species of wood etc.
KLJ
wolf creek knives is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 02-13-2019, 10:59 AM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 4

If you are running production, cutting woods 4" and thicker, or building cabinets, then a 5hp/12" saw would be a good choice.
However, if you are only doing hobbyist woodworking, a 3hp/10" would be more than enough.

Whatever you do, stay away from Sawstop for any heavy cutting. They are very under-powered. The belts slip terribly, and need replaced often when cutting thick material.
If cutting high moisture woods, they need to be over-ridden to avoid tripping the brake. And if the blade senses metal, like a staple or nail, it will trip the brake.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:08 AM   #5 (permalink)

Photos: 0

My next table saw will be a Saw Stop. I still have all my fingers but I've been living on borrowed time.... :-)

-gary
KLJ
vtgaryw is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-13-2019, 11:31 AM   #6 (permalink)

+1 on SawStop. I haven’t encountered any issues with heavy cutting, but I’m sure it has its limits. I’ve cut plenty of wet wood, especially big box store pressure treated lumber still soggy, again with no problem. SawStop says the brake is unlikely to be triggered by a small nail or staple, but it could be. I’ve never knowingly hit one, so can’t say firsthand. I can say that I’d much rather replace belts than fingers
Shock me is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-13-2019, 11:57 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shock me View Post
+1 on SawStop. I haven’t encountered any issues with heavy cutting, but I’m sure it has its limits. I’ve cut plenty of wet wood, especially big box store pressure treated lumber still soggy, again with no problem. SawStop says the brake is unlikely to be triggered by a small nail or staple, but it could be. I’ve never knowingly hit one, so can’t say firsthand. I can say that I’d much rather replace belts than fingers

Keep in mind that the OP is looking at a 5HP saw. He apparently wants to do heavy cutting.

We run 3/4", furniture grade, 11 ply veneered plywood, four sheets at a time through our 5hp saw, without a burp. The Sawstop has a hard time with only two sheets, without running slow enough to burn the material and blade. It is intended for a home shop.
Damp and wet wood may trip the brake, not necessarily always. We've had it happen. It's much easier to over-ride the brake, than to replace it at $80.
They also say that metal can trip the brake. Haven't done that, yet.
The problem is, it is under-powered for heavy cutting. Something that a 5HP saw would do with ease.

I tend to keep my fingers away from the blade. Not that accidents can't happen but, most times that is from inattention, and sloppy practices.
Sleds, clamps, push sticks, and full attention on operating the machine is essential.

Don't rely on a machine to do what is required of yourself.
That will make you complacent, and injuries can happen.

Last edited by Terredax; 02-13-2019 at 12:01 PM.
Terredax is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-13-2019, 12:08 PM   #8 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Saw Stop has a 3 HP and a 7.5 HP Industrial Saw as well. I was doing some work with a professional woodworking shop a couple of years ago, and they replaced their saws with the 3 HP. After one of their key people sliced a couple of fingers off. That sold me on them.

Gary
KLJ
vtgaryw is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-13-2019, 12:10 PM   #9 (permalink)

I wouldnít disagree with any of that. OP says he is looking at a 5hp 12 inch saw not necessarily for one. So I think itís all good advice heís gotten- if he needs so much power, the 2 hp SawStop wonít cut it. If not, itís worth a look. Personally, I have the utmost respect for my table saw and what it can do to me. None of my rare near misses have been due to inattention, but rather to something unexpected happening. The SawStop is just another layer of protection
Old 02-13-2019, 12:19 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtgaryw View Post
Saw Stop has a 3 HP and a 7.5 HP Industrial Saw as well. I was doing some work with a professional woodworking shop a couple of years ago, and they replaced their saws with the 3 HP. After one of their key people sliced a couple of fingers off. That sold me on them.

Gary
I just looked on their website, and from the configuration, it looks like it was the 3hp saw we used. It certainly was less than impressive.
Maybe the 7.5hp could handle the work. We have three local distributors that have them set-up for demonstrations. I'll look at the 7.5hp for comparison, the next time we are close to one of them.
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads