Workshop mats

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithncsu

Looking to see what everyone uses for workshop mats. I have been using some of the puzzle piece ones (not the kid ones) but my back and legs still hurt pretty bad after a Saturday in the garage. I know the concrete is terrible but hoping to mitigate it as much as possible. I could always put a second layer of the puzzle ones but I'm afraid they'll slide even worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithncsu

Thanks everyone!! I'll check out the suggestions. I know my bench isn't too low. If anything it may be slightly too tall. Probably the height of the rubber feet on the lathe and the 3/8 ply wood on the bench. Neither of which I accounted for. Rookie mistakes.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I use the Harbor Freight mats also. They doubled my standing time. Before the mats, I could only stand on my concrete floor for about 2 hours. With the mats, I'm good for at least 4-5.

TonyL

I have the puzzle version (covering the entire shop) that I bought from Cotsco and Rockler on sale. On top of those, I have gel mats in front of every stationary tool. I get the from Costco. I like the padding and I like being able to from something and not marring anything.

JimB

Thanks everyone!! I'll check out the suggestions. I know my bench isn't too low. If anything it may be slightly too tall. Probably the height of the rubber feet on the lathe and the 3/8 ply wood on the bench. Neither of which I accounted for. Rookie mistakes.

You don't say how high it is. Where is it in relation to the height of your elbow?

I ask because I have met many turners who think their lathe height is good or maybe 'too high'. They come to my shop and look at my lathe and their first reaction is they can't turn on it because it is to high. However, After 15 minutes of turning they say they are going to go home and raise their lathe.

When I bought my new lathe, PM3520B, 6 months ago I turned with it for 2 weeks. Then I raised it with a 2x4 and turned for another 2 weeks. Then another 2x4 and another 2 weeks of turning. That is the height it is at now. The Spindle is at about 47" from the floor. I did try raising it a bit higher which I liked for Spindle work but I found it too high for turning larger bowls as the bowl was to close to my face.

My mini lathe that I use for small work is a bit higher. BTW, I am 6' 1" tall and am still considering trying to raise my lathe again now that I am more comfortable turning the larger bowls.

keithncsu

You don't say how high it is. Where is it in relation to the height of your elbow?

I ask because I have met many turners who think their lathe height is good or maybe 'too high'. They come to my shop and look at my lathe and their first reaction is they can't turn on it because it is to high. However, After 15 minutes of turning they say they are going to go home and raise their lathe.

When I bought my new lathe, PM3520B, 6 months ago I turned with it for 2 weeks. Then I raised it with a 2x4 and turned for another 2 weeks. Then another 2x4 and another 2 weeks of turning. That is the height it is at now. The Spindle is at about 47" from the floor. I did try raising it a bit higher which I liked for Spindle work but I found it too high for turning larger bowls as the bowl was to close to my face.

My mini lathe that I use for small work is a bit higher. BTW, I am 6' 1" tall and am still considering trying to raise my lathe again now that I am more comfortable turning the larger bowls.

I have always heard that your arm needs to be at a right angle to your work piece. Mine is probably at little higher so my arm would be less than 90

ohiococonut

I had the same problem in my shop even after I placed everything at a comfortable height. I started adding padded floor mats and it got to be a pain picking all of them up to clean up.
I ended up just adding cushion insoles in my shoes.

TonyL

Puzzle Matts

Saw these at Costco today. I may buy more.

Attachments

• 20180218_120103 (002).jpg
    20180218_120103 (002).jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 142

Herb G

I had the same problem in my shop even after I placed everything at a comfortable height. I started adding padded floor mats and it got to be a pain picking all of them up to clean up.
I ended up just adding cushion insoles in my shoes.

That's why they make Shop Vacs.
:rolleyes:

AN ALTERNATIVE...

EVERYONE,

I too have a variety of anti-fatigue mats in shop. With the puzzle type sponge in front of the lathe.

Well over 10 years ago a friend of mine introduced me to a solution you wear.
Z-Coil shoes. They allowed me to continue working on concrete floors, long hours at a time.
Over a million sold, MONEY BACK GUARANTEE, it costs little to nothing to try out. There is a network of local dealers or one can buy direct.

READ THE TESTIMONIALS. Sure Z-Coils cost more than ordinary shoes.
Their second name is PAIN RELIEF FOOTWEAR.
Z-Coil.com

TonyL

Very interesting site Charles...as my mom says,"It is easier to buy a pair of slippers than to carpet the world." Looks like a great idea.

stonepecker

I have several types of mats. From entry rugs to the locking mats.
The best thing I found was at an unclaimed freight store.
30" wide rubber belts.....they kind they use for moving dirt and coal at mining sites.
You can get them any length......about 1/4 to1/2 inch thick. You can either get them at size or buy bigger ones and cut them down, to length.

What I like the most about them is that they down slide. Just to heavy with the cord and rubber together. PITA when moving rolling tools.
But they are a relief for my back and feet.

mdburn_em

Tried just about all of them

This is my favorite because I can get it cut to my desired length. 3 feet is just about perfect for me. Not too deep, not too narrow. My wife threw out one that she had at the kitchen sink because the puppy chewed a corner. I put that on top directly in front of the lathe but otherwise I have just this in front of the drill press and other places I stand.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Apache-Mil...Cast-Vinyl-Utility-Runner-By-the-Foot/3612682

Top Bottom