It works !!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
These little items are prototypes of a gadget that I've been brainstorming for a while. After a bit of trial and error, I'm very pleased to say that they work...perfectly..:biggrin:

Any ideas what they are / do?

Clue 1; No need to call Doctor's Reliance or Tormek any more. :cool:

Clue 2; They do something to something that we all use. :wink:

Ignore the black nuts, they are just for the photo:)

Attachments

• DS1.JPG
    DS1.JPG
    269.1 KB · Views: 580
  • DS2.JPG
    DS2.JPG
    237.4 KB · Views: 536
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Yep, sharpening jigs.:biggrin: For drill bits.

These are used with a Stevenson's ER32 collet block. A square version.

The drill bit with appropriate size collet are set up on the indexer with the acrylic sight glass. The drill bit cutting edges are made parallel with a centre line scribed in the acrylic.

The angled bracket is mounted in the toolpost. It is fixed at 22degs.
The toolpost is set 59deg ( approx ) to the lathe centre.

The collet block is placed on the bracket and is slid up to the small triangular stop on the bracket.

The carriage or compound is brought up so the drill bit just touches the stone. By sliding the collet block back and forth up the bracket, each cutting face is ground in turn.

I have considered incorporating a second fixed angle of about 10 degs in the angled bracket so it can grind 4 facets ( an alternative to split points. But to be honest, I've never really seen the advantage of split points as I always use at least one pilot drill anyway.

I'm actually ok with off hand grinding but I get a buzz from making things like this. :biggrin:

Attachments

• DS3.JPG
    DS3.JPG
    295.8 KB · Views: 574
  • DS4.JPG
    DS4.JPG
    257 KB · Views: 533
  • DS5.JPG
    DS5.JPG
    317.5 KB · Views: 530
  • DS6.JPG
    DS6.JPG
    272.3 KB · Views: 536
  • DS8.JPG
    DS8.JPG
    399 KB · Views: 512
  • DS9.JPG
    DS9.JPG
    162.6 KB · Views: 536
  • DS10.JPG
    DS10.JPG
    159.1 KB · Views: 507

magpens

I knew the purpose was for sharpening drill bits ! :biggrin:

I think you get a buzz from quizzing us also !! :biggrin:

So what's the prize ? :biggrin:

Last edited:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Haha... no prizes Mal:tongue:

The clues were of course referencing the Drill Doctor, the 1920 Reliance Jig and the Tormek DBS22 attachment.

I'd be interested to know if others also use the newer collet nut version like I've put on this block, and what your opinions are of it. I think that 99% of the time a standard nut is perfect but these newer ones allow the nut to be tightened without the collet rotating slightly as it's tightened.
In this instance, hand tightening is more than enough.

One of the benefits of my design is that the drill doesn't have to protrude from the collet by any fixed amount. This allows me to resharpen small centre drills and spot drills quite accurately.:biggrin:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I will have to make me one of these. Thanks for Sharing Skip. I dont mind the Drill Doctor for some things but I cant use it for stub drill bits.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Mike, stubby drills or centre drills are a breeze. However, I just found out that with really small / short ones, I have to use the standard collet clamping nut. as the one with bearings doesn't have enough taper to have at least half of the bit secured in the collet and the nut not hitting the stone. No biggie....the normal 118 deg isn't cast in stone so a slight adjustment of the angle set on the tool post soon takes care of that. :wink:

Attachments

• DS11.JPG
    DS11.JPG
    197 KB · Views: 420
  • DS12.JPG
    DS12.JPG
    271.3 KB · Views: 422
Top Bottom