Working with a Bandsaw

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I have seen a couple times people here have questions about bandsaw use and what is the proper set up or blade or other things. I have been going to woodworking shows for many years and there is a guy there Alex who represents Carter products. he is very well versed in setting up a bandsaw and its uses. Of course he sells his products and many I have purchased and can honestly say they WORK well. He at times upgrades his products so of course I have to upgrade also and many times they are well worth it. His new magnetic fence is a prime example. I have his small blade guide bearing system and it works great. If you ever use 1/4" blades or less and want to scroll with them this product will work wonders. Now I am not here with this thread to promote Carter products but to show you a link that is tremendous in helping you set your bandsaw up to maximise its performance.

We all have bought the books and there are many out there that explains bandsaws and other tools but Alex goes against the grain with his teaching and he explains why and they do make all the sense in the world once you try them and see them in action up close. Many times and I am included when people ask questions I give generic answers because it is what mostly we all read about. But the truth is to give answers that go against the grain takes time explaining and opens many more questions. But I would like to share this video and it is lengthy but to me well worth watching if you are serious about getting the most from your bandsaw. This is basically one of those lectures or tutorials that happen at the wood shows. You have to sign up for them in advance but Alex has posted this and shares for free. Not getting into blade types and brands because they are subjective, it is the setting up of the saw that is the most important thing. Good luck and hope this helps a few people here.

https://youtu.be/wGbZqWac0jU

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

duncsuss

Thanks, John.

I like to watch this video by Alex Snodgrass about once a year, just as a reminder of what I should do more often :biggrin:

robutacion

I have seen a couple times people here have questions about bandsaw use and what is the proper set up or blade or other things. I have been going to woodworking shows for many years and there is a guy there Alex who represents Carter products. he is very well versed in setting up a bandsaw and its uses. Of course he sells his products and many I have purchased and can honestly say they WORK well. He at times upgrades his products so of course I have to upgrade also and many times they are well worth it. His new magnetic fence is a prime example. I have his small blade guide bearing system and it works great. If you ever use 1/4" blades or less and want to scroll with them this product will work wonders. Now I am not here with this thread to promote Carter products but to show you a link that is tremendous in helping you set your bandsaw up to maximise its performance.

We all have bought the books and there are many out there that explains bandsaws and other tools but Alex goes against the grain with his teaching and he explains why and they do make all the sense in the world once you try them and see them in action up close. Many times and I am included when people ask questions I give generic answers because it is what mostly we all read about. But the truth is to give answers that go against the grain takes time explaining and opens many more questions. But I would like to share this video and it is lengthy but to me well worth watching if you are serious about getting the most from your bandsaw. This is basically one of those lectures or tutorials that happen at the wood shows. You have to sign up for them in advance but Alex has posted this and shares for free. Not getting into blade types and brands because they are subjective, it is the setting up of the saw that is the most important thing. Good luck and hope this helps a few people here.

https://youtu.be/wGbZqWac0jU

I can say that, within the common machines used in a wood workshop, the bandsaw is the one with the highest number of adjustment points and as a result, it doesn't take much to throw your cuts all over the place so, having a general knowledge of the bandsaw components, particularly those that count for the majority of problems, will be of great help to assist you to know what to do to adjust your own bandsaw.

The video clip you provided, is indeed a good example of how its done and why.

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers
George

Thanks John.

I saw that link from you in the last couple of days or so, and today went out and reset my BS using the information that I got from watching that. I didn't realize how far off my saw was until I was finished. Now it's dead on and absolutely no drift whatsoever.

Thanks again for linking it.

David

jttheclockman

I am very happy that there are some here that is taking the time to check out the video. It is a big help when working with a bandsaw. Seems many people here are turning to bandsaws as a tool in their arsenal. Glad to have helped. Happy turning.:)

leehljp

Member Liaison
He most certainly helped me get my BS cutting true. I spent about an hour tinkering with it last spring setting it exactly as he said. It was very good before, but it is great now.

I stumbled upon this video at Youtube a few weeks ago and find it to be the most informative video I've seen yet on setting up a bandsaw, and I haven't even purchased one yet, just doing my homework. Truth be told, now I feel kind of dumb for not sharing it, thanks for posting the link John.

Jay

BobGast

I was on the fence as to whether I needed a band saw. I can only afford a 9" at the moment. So basically there are 2 that I have been looking at on the internet. The Skil band saw that I can get from Amazon Prime, and the Harbor Freight 9" band saw. I am thinking that I will probably pick one of them up just after Christmas.

Rick_G

I was on the fence as to whether I needed a band saw. I can only afford a 9" at the moment. So basically there are 2 that I have been looking at on the internet. The Skil band saw that I can get from Amazon Prime, and the Harbor Freight 9" band saw. I am thinking that I will probably pick one of them up just after Christmas.

Unless you never plan on doing anything other than pen size I would say save your penny's and get a larger one. A 14 inch one will cut 6" thick logs and can usually be upgraded with a riser block later so you can cut 12" thick wood. Those little ones just don't have the power to handle anything much larger than a pen blank and if you decide you want to try bowls or anything larger than pens you will wind up getting a large one anyway.

Top Bottom