Work Sharp 3000

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Has anyone had experience with this machine? I just can't get my tools "scary sharp" using jigs on a wheel grinder. I feel I need a more specific tool, and the Tormek system is out of my present budget.
I will appreciate all comments.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robersonjr

I have one and have never before been able to sharpen my chisels so fast. It does work very well, I sugest getting at least 2 extra glass wheels. You can get razor sharp edges with this machine. Robbie

KenV

If you use the tool bar accessory, you can use tormek and Jet wetstone jigs on the 3000 -- it is just an abrasive paper replacement process at that point.

with the tool bar, skew shaprening by hand is direct.

76winger

I've thought about getting one, but since I can get my skew sharp enough to shave the hair off my arm with a progression from grinder (about once every 10-12 of the next two steps) to an Arkansas oilstone for smoothing the edge to waterstone for the scary-sharp edge. So I haven't been able to justify one just to do it a little faster.

jd99

I've got one, an I have 6 glass wheels; I put the same grit on both side so I dont have to flip the wheel over to use the top or bottom. Also have a couple of the slotted wheels.

The thing is great, just keep asupply of bandaids on hand :rolleyes:

robersonjr

Extra wheels so you can put all the different grits of SP without having to do so much changing which will destroy the SP very fast. Robbie

mmayo

I have a Worksharp 3000 and I am thinking about buying the accessory arm to allow the use of Tormek jigs. I you have one can you please tell me about your success or lack of it.

Thanks in advance.

I have the Worksharp and I use the Tormek accessory for sharpening my bowl gouges. IMHO it does a real nice job. To me the advantage is repeatability. When you follow the setup instructions you can get the same edge every time. And the key to that is paying attention so that you sharpen both sides of the gouge the same. But you have to be sure the wings are shaped equally and properly. I like it a lot.

The single thing I would change is the way they sell the sandpaper discs. You can only get them in certain assortments (they seem pretty pricey to me) and I would love to see them A) in single grit packages, and B) available from other vendors (at lower prices).

Last edited:

KenV

Tony -- I got the Glen Lucas DVD on sharpening -- Glen shows sharpening on 4 different jigs setups. The work sharp was not included, but a belt sanding system was included. Your turning club may have it for check out --

Someone shopping for sharpening systems might well benefit from looking at it.

There is a clear preference for the Tormek and for Cubic Boron Nitride wheels. Others are well presented and well demonstrated -

KenV

Tool bar attachment and the Tormec Gouge attachment (SVD-185) add $140 to the cost.

It does a good job on small gouges that will not fit (too short) the OneWay Wolverine system.

mmayo

I bought the Worksharp toolrest and the Tormek SVD185 and after a small learning curve I have sharper tools. Two days later I can repeat my success in sharpening them and get the same good results. The entire face of the tool is uniformly sharp which is like I should have had since the start. This combination has made me less "sharpening challenged". Yes, it cost me a but, but I am now happy for less money and space than a Tormek. I found very inexpensive PSA 6" disks in various grits on EBAY and used Rick Herrells punch to cut out the center. This is way cheaper than buying those Worksharp sanding disc packs.

Top Bottom