Woodpeckers Pen Mill for Christmas? - Page 2 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Shops, Jigs, Fixtures & Tools
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Shops, Jigs, Fixtures & Tools Show off and discuss your workshop and everything in it.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2018, 08:17 AM   #11 (permalink)

Photos: 6

Quote:
I am in product development at Woodpeckers. I am the designer of this tool.
Nicely designed.

Peace,

Tony

Member of Local IAP Georgia Chapter meets quarterly in Roswell, GA
TonyL is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-06-2018, 08:54 AM   #12 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
Nicely designed.
Look for more Pen turning tools in the future!

And, thank you.

Sincerely,
Paul E. Turley
pturley is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-06-2018, 09:55 AM   #13 (permalink)

Photos: 4

If you designed a version with a 1/4" hex quick connect for use in a hand drill, I'd be more than happy to volunteer to test it.

The first vendor that adapts that concept to a pen mill will get an order from me. I don't like using a pen mill in a drill press; there's no "feel" and I think, unfortunately, the "press" part of drill press causes problems.

I do use a sanding jig for problem/fragile material, but overall I prefer a sharp pen mill. I speculate that most of the problems people have with using pen mills is that they (the pen mill) are dull or improperly sharpened, which causes the need for more pressure, and more pressure means more disasters.
Brian G is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 12-06-2018, 10:28 AM   #14 (permalink)

As with carbide turning tools, with this pen mill, you need decent speed (~700rpm) and a light touch.

With a hand drill, using a standard square blank and vice, the variable cut lengths at the corners are enough to imperceptibly push your hand away from the cut, sometimes leaving an uneven surface. Particularly in very hard woods, Acrylic or Alumilite blanks.
The drill press allows for more mechanical advantage, allowing more controlled pressure towards the cut. (As with any tool, there is a bit of learning curve to get the best results.)

That said, we have milled dozens of blanks on the same inserts and haven't managed to wear one out yet.
Quoting Joe (at Berea): "You sure aren't going to sell a lot of carbide with these!"
Old 12-06-2018, 12:01 PM   #15 (permalink)

Photos: 6

Quote:
I am a sanding jig guy, but I own several WP products and like them all. I think I also met you at last year's WW show in Atlanta.

How about "universal" drill stop collar to place on drill bits from 8mm to 15mms

I don't know how to engineering it, but I would want one collar to accommodate range above.

Presently, I use tape and don't like it.

Peace,

Tony

Member of Local IAP Georgia Chapter meets quarterly in Roswell, GA
TonyL is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-06-2018, 12:34 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
Quote:
I am a sanding jig guy, but I own several WP products and like them all. I think I also met you at last year's WW show in Atlanta.

How about "universal" drill stop collar to place on drill bits from 8mm to 15mms

I don't know how to engineering it, but I would want one collar to accommodate range above.

Presently, I use tape and don't like it.
That a Good idea if someone could do it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
jxdubbs is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-06-2018, 12:36 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pturley View Post

Any questions, please ask (via P/M if you prefer).

Sincerely,
Paul E. Turley
You did a fantastic job. I definitely have this on my list to get!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
jxdubbs is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-06-2018, 02:02 PM   #18 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Paul, my father was an engineer and my son is a senior product engineer so I know what goes into designing and manufacturing something like that pen mill. My complements.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:44 PM   #19 (permalink)
Member Liaison

Photos: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by pturley View Post

Any questions, please ask (via P/M if you prefer).

Sincerely,
Paul E. Turley
Paul,
I will ask. I am persnickety about sharp tools and I have (2) 4 bladed carbide end mills that I have not used in nearly 10 years. And both had been sent out for sharpening by a reputable sharpener. They did OK after sharpening, however, I found the sanding mill to be far more effective with end grain than carbide blades.

With that said and also knowing the quality of WP, I don't fully understand the decision of WP to make another "bladed mill" for end grain, even if it is WP. From my experience, Sanding mill get far better results. Does the WP mill have something that is light years ahead of other carbide mills. I know you have all the tube sizes; I get that and I have those also, but in the end it comes down to the cutter on end grain - in which sanding does better.

Where does WP stand out in this situation as opposed to a sanding mill?

I am not knocking WP quality. My only complaint for WP overall is that the tools are too nice to leave on the table and look better framed - to the point I am afraid to use them because I might scratch them.

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
leehljp is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-12-2018, 03:49 PM   #20 (permalink)

Hank,
I'll have to apologize! I am wary to enter into the "sanding vs. barrel trimmer" debate.

That said, when we set out to make a carbide insert pen mill, our objective was to produce the VERY BEST POSSIBLE pen mill we could design and manufacture, using the best materials we could select, using the tools we have available to us.
(Which in terms of manufacturing capability here at Woodpeckers, is quite considerable!)

If at some point we opt to produce a PEN TURNING sanding jig, that same design objective will be observed.

As for results, please see Kurt Hertzog's review article in this month's (Dec 2018) issue of More Woodturning Magazine.

https://www.morewoodturningmagazine....azine-list.php

Sincerely,
Paul E. Turley
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads