Woodpecker Measuring and Marking Tools -Opinions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

Thanks to the generosity of Skiprat (Steve), I won some really neat measuring and marking tools which I have already used and piqued my interest in these devices. I started looking at the Woodpecker line of tools - do you folks think they are work the price? Are there other lines that are similar in quality but at a lower cost. I do have the budget for the WP line..but that doesn't mean I need to spend it all.

Thanks...all opinions about your experience with measuring and marking tools welcome. I already made a decision to buy based on my interest in simple cabinet, workbenches, and shelve making.

Thank you all very much!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skie_M

Seen the woodpecker line of one-off tools sometimes offered through WWGOA (Wood Worker's Guild Of America). In my opinion, they are quite overpriced for things that we should really be able to build on our own.

Seriously ... 110 dollars for a large marking gauge, 80 for the small (remembering prices I saw a year ago on something) ... I don't like overpaying for something I could knock together in an afternoon for under 5 bucks.

That having been said, they are American Made and seem to be made to work and last a long time doing it ... if you like them, and you can afford them and want to get more of them, that's your choice! :)

Last edited:

TonyL

Thank you Gregory. However, I have no desire (or skill) to build on my own. I do appreciate the feedback though. Veritas "appears" to be a decent brand(?).

adirondak5

Tony , speaking from the experience of actually having some of their measuring tools I will say that IMO they are fine tools , second to none . They are built to last . They are expensive , yes no doubt . I have the Paolini 6" Pocket rule , the 24" Bench Rule , and the Pen Blank center Finder . I use them all a lot . They are all one time tools or retired from manufacture now I believe . Having them I can say without a doubt that I would buy each of them again if needed. I also have their PRL - V2 Router lift in my router table , fantastic lift . Are they for everybody ? Nope , certainly not , but you won't regret having them .
Sorry for the poor picture

bmachin

I have their 4 foot woodworking ruler and their 1281 square. I would buy the ruler again today since I haven't seen anything around quite like it. (Although since I have it, I haven't looked). The square is pretty spendy, but it's sturdy and it stays where you put it, and is a lot less fussy to use than a machinist's square.

Their stuff may not be the highest in the land on the value scale, but it all is very well made, accurate, sturdy, and some of it is quite unique.

FWIW,

Bill

preacherman

I have a couple pieces that were gifts. A square and small ruler. They seem to be good tools. They are good quality. But I would never pay that much for them myself I think they are overpriced. However, if you have the budget and its what you want go for it and enjoy.

oldtoolsniper

I've learned to mark all my cuts with a knife. I'm the guy who sharpens utility blades because I find them to be dull. The aluminum just shaves off the edge to easy for me to find most of it useful. I also do a lot of leather working so sharp tools are a must and using a round knife on that aluminum is a no go for me. I prefer a steel tool to cut and mark against.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

TonyL

Veritas was the brand that looked at after WP. They are also going to be at the WW show in Atlanta soon. Thx!

moke

TonyL..
Great thread, this is something that I have always wondered about. I have several of their tools...rulers and a square. They are constantly producing "one-time" tools, that are through the roof price-wise...and can a ruler be worth $50...a square for $100? While I am not a huge fan of HF, and I do have some of their stuff, I have a Festool sander too...I have always wondered if there are truly "tool snobs"......does Woodpecker stuff qualify? I am NOT passing judgement;...just wondering???? Again, great question....I'll hang up and listen....

Last edited:

TonyL

I am glad that I asked. I certainly don't mind spending on quality/engineering/even paying a premium for an American-made product, but I don't want to throw money out the window either. The Incra-line seems to offer the features that I want and a lower price point, but I will see what others have to say...I am not building watches...just getting intt some light cabinetry, shelves, etc.. I am glad that you like the thread.

jttheclockman

Tony I will add my thoughts. I build cabinets shelves, and a host of other things. I am not sure why you need space craft measuring tools. I have none of them. I do have a good set of machinists squares, I have a few architectural angles and a good machinest 12" rule. My My carpenter's square, speed square, and adjustable square are all Craftsman. yes they are older Craftsman tools but they have done a ton of work and My money goes into tools like routers, tablesaw and blades, jointer, sander, planer, drum sander, drill press, bandsaw. These are the tools that get the job done not fancy measuring tools. You own a true rule and a good machinist square you are golden. Spend the money in the stationary tools. I will throw in a good hand plane too in that list. You can have all the fancy rose wood handle tools and precision tools but it does not cut the wood and assemble it. Now if you have money to burn and want nice looking tools hanging on the pegboard then go for it . My opinion only.

Veritas tools are nice tools. They will look good hanging on the wall. I always look at leevalley exihibit at the shows. You can not buy any tools there but they take your order.

Last edited:

Herb G

It's been my observations that Woodpecker tools seem to appeal to the people who have more money than they have common sense.
That's just my $.02.

Now, don't get me wrong, they make excellent tools, and their resale value stays right up there.
Is a bevel gauge set worth $270? Not to me. But to someone who collects the one time tools, it must be.

That said, I have a Pen Blank Center Finder. I paid $40 for it, because it's not readily available. It's a very nice tool, well thought out & well made.

oldtoolsniper

Here is something else to ponder. Wood moves. No matter what, wood moves.

In the winter drawers jump out of the dresser, in the summer you get to pry them out.

I have a friend who has beautiful knotty pine car siding throughout his house. It was stained on the walls in the summer. It's winter right now and very dry here, there is a white line at each joint as the wood has shrunk. This summer it will not be there.

Even putting paper thin veneer on only one side of a board can cause it to cup or bow.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

TonyL

Thanks guys. I went with a bunch of Incra jigs - I was able to get 15% off through my Gwinnett Woodworkers Association membership at Hartville tool. I will wait until the Atlanta woodworking show to check out the Veritas and WP tools if needed. Thanks for all of your candid feedback. I especially like the one about common sense and money...Herb...you could have been a NY'er :) .Thanks again folks!

campzeke

WAY TOO EXPENSIVE! That's my 2 cents. There are many other options out there for squares, rulers and other marking and measuring tools that are much easier on the wallet. Almost any quality tool will outlast most of us and our children as well. I don't even look at the Woodpecker tool ads anymore.

TonyL

Thanks Rick! I went with Incra, but will take a look at the ATL Woodworkers show.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I have one Woodpecker tool, a triangle. I love quality. WP has it, but it is too pretty and a waste to me. For the price, I hate to see it get scratched. Starrett is quality and practical, and getting scratched is not a problem for that.

On Ebay, I often check for tools and look for accurate stamped and machined quality equal to Starrett rules and combination squares. I have Starrett, Blem-Cosmetic seconds, Brown & Sharpe and Mitutoyo.

You can get cheap and you can get some not so expensive that are still very accurate and precise. I bought a number of blem-seconds 12", 18" and 24" stainless steel rules and use them regularly.

I have Numerous rules and squares. I have a 4 ft steel rule (4 ft stainless steel, 2 inches wide and about 3/32 thick) that I bought when I was in high school (early '60s) from an engineering equipment shop. I like that rule!

TonyW

Veritable are seen as a premium brand over here in the U.K. Tony. They are expensive, let alone seem it, but mine have all been "one in a lifetime" purchases.

TonyW.

JPW062

Starrett is way better. As others mention the steel won't shave off.
WP isn't bad, but I prefer steel.
Plenty of estate sale finds on quality old US brands.
If you really want one of their specialty tools then go for it.

TonyL

Thank you. I bought some Incra tools that I am happy with for now, but will take a look at Strarett's catalogue.

Top Bottom