Wood Turning Tool Set?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Eggineric

Hey guys,

I just have a cheap pen turning tool set from rockler. I bought these just to see if I enjoy wood turning. I have a jet mini lathe and turns out I really enjoy it. I am going to end up buying a big lathe from a guy at work. I think it is time to purchase a better tool set. Are any brands better than others? Are there any to stay away from? There is a wood working show coming up this weekend and I would like to have an idea before I get there. Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hilltopper46

Many books could be written (and have been written) about this topic. My advice would be this. Learn turning technique and sharpening technique with the tools you have. When you want to do something and it's obvious you need a different tool, buy what you need when you need it, and buy the highest quality tool you can afford/justify at the time.

monophoto

The only difference between 'better' tools that those that you have is the quality of the steel. Specifically, ' better' tools will be made from a higher quality steel that will hold an edge longer.

The tools that you have will work just fine. You probably will have to sharpen them more often, but that's not all bad because one of the skills that you need to learn is sharpening.

So my suggestion is that you use your present tools as the base for your tool kit, and buy only those additional tools that you conclude that you need. As you use the existing tools, if you find that they are wearing out (ie, you have been practicing that sharpening skill so much that there's not much tool left), you can also replace them individually as needed. But buying tools individually as needed is less expensive that buying sets of 'better' tools that include components that you rarely use.

gbpens

As you get to the replacement stage give serious consideration to the carbide tools. They greatly reduce sharpening time and leave a smoother surface on a much greater range of materials. The result is more productive time on more things which enhances the joy of turning.

Dick Mahany

There are many excellent turning tools on the market and a quick search on one of the woodturning forums will yield tons of good info on tools and user experiences.

Even though I have a few premium tools, I have learned that sharpening and turning techniques are far more important than the tool brand when starting out. Even a low-end tool will work wonders when sharpened correctly. Conversely, the most premium tools won't perform if they're dull or used incorrectly.

When I buy a brand new turning tool, the first thing I do to it sharpen it before I ever touch it to wood. I have found that the HSS Benjamin's Best tools from PSI, work surprisingly well when sharpened correctly and they are cost effective while one develops sharpening and turning skills. Once you know which tools you will use the most for your types of turnings, then the move to premium gouges if desired will be based on experience. Even so, I find myself still using many of the BB tools in my turnings.

Last edited:

Wildman

Recommend looking at tools you actually need vice tool set. Most woodturning vendors give a 10 or 15% discount if buy more than one tool. Suggest getting free catalogs from these and other vendors and watch for sales too.

http://www.woodturnscatalog.com
Packard Woodworks: The Woodturner's Source
Hand Tools, Power Tools, Saws, Router Bits, Clamps, | Hartville Tool
Woodworking Plans & Tools | Fine Woodworking Project & Supplies at Woodcraft

No catalog nor discount for buying more than 2 two or more but if make your own handles these tools pretty competitive:

thompsontools.com

Last edited:

mb007

IIRC, the pen-turning set from rockler are all small tools, and it sounds like you're looking for larger chisels. There's a lot of great advice here already, some of which I'll repeat. I bought a set of HSS chisels from Harbor Freight - you can get a set of 8 tools for under $50 with their coupons.

Yes, these are lower-quality steel than others that have been listed in this thread. It has forced me to learn how to sharpen them, which is a great side-effect. I'd much rather grind away at a cheap chisel while learning than an expensive one. It's also given me freedom to try different grinds and not feel guilty about the lost steel. I also keep a small diamond hone at the lathe and touch up the edges often.

Of the 8 tools, I find myself using 3-4 of them often - when these are ready for replacement I'll buy nice ones. This way I'm not spending top dollar on tools I may never use.

Regardless of which tools you pick up, really focus on sharpening. I was very frustrated with my tools until I learned how to get them sharpened properly (I'm still working on this with some of my chisels). Also, the edge profile that comes on a new tool may not be ideal for you. Experiment and learn what works best for you. The AAW has a video on sharpening that was very useful to me. Here's a link in case you're interested in that:

Fundamentals of Sharpening Video

Good Luck!

Wildman

I have nothing against HF tool sets like Penn State they are almost HSS.
Red handle set said to be the best of their turning tools.

8 Piece High Speed Steel Turning Set

Next best:

8 Piece High Speed Steel Turning Set

Whether you get the more expensive or less expensive set going to end up with tools that will never use.

If need inexpensive tools buy individual tools you actually need from Penn state.

Woodturning Tools at Penn State Industries

Somewhere on the web they did a study of tool steel quality and both HF & PSI said to be something other than HSS. Have no problem with less than HSS tools, if keep them sharp can do as much damage as any other turning tool.

76winger

I think I read that you only have the smaller pen turning tools currently. If that's the case, would recommend looking a small beginners set that includes a couple different size roughing gouges and skews. These full sized tools are the mainstay of woodturning and you can't go wrong starting out with a small set made with high speed steel.

Beyond that, I agree with the above, purchase individual tools as you have need for them. This way you don't spend lots of money on things you never use.

jzerger

I'm using my 2nd set of BB HSS from PSI in the little over 2 years of turning ($30 on tools a year). I don't mind the sharpening; I'm not that great at it anyway and would rather do it poorly on less expensive tools. I did get a set of the HF HSS tools and like the sizes better but find it very frustrating to use the rectangular shaped shafts on my (round) tool rest. I seem to want the skew especially to be able to sit exactly on a corner of the rectangle.
So I like the BBs better. I did recently finally invest in a PenPro ...but still use the others a lot.

Top Bottom