Wood/plastic threads

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cjester

Looking for a way to make threads on 1" to 1.5" diameter wood or resin.
Fine thread if possible.

Look up thread chasing. It isn't diameter dependent like a die or the Beall threader, and will get you into the 16tpi to 20 tpi range. The Sorby chasers are readily available, but there's others out there too. This is on my list of skills to learn. I understand it takes some practice, but works well once you get the hang of it.

One of the Beall threader kits will certainly handle that size range but isn't a fine thread.

MikeinSC

Maybe a Geometric die? I'm not familiar with them to a great extent but it could be something.
Or check with a plumbing or pipe supplier for NPT tap/dies for anything that could work. Hardware store may also carry some pipe threading stuff as well in your area. Or check in with a machine shop to see if they can suggest anything

I have the Beall Thread kit and am very happy with the results. Soft, punky woods need to be stabilized or CA'd. If you can ever find one (they are no longer made), Beall made a machine prior to the Pen Wizard, called the Masterpiece Turner. I've got one of those too and it works great. Takes a lot of setup time and practice, and dryruns, but well worth the results.

magpens

WOW, Bruce ... that is an amazing "gadget" !!! . I hadn't seen your article before but I am glad to know about it now. . Thanks for drawing our attention to it. . Lots and lots of thanks for preparing and writing it !!!

dogcatcher

I used a camera macro slider as a XY source, about $25 off of eBay. My system was similar to Bruce's jig. There area lot of good plans for homemade threading jigs.

rherrell

How much threading are you planning on doing? If it's a lot then you can build Bruce's gadget(VERY cool by the way!!!!) If it's just a one time deal send it to me, just pay for the shipping both ways, I'll be glad to help you out.

BeeAMaker

How much threading are you planning on doing? If it's a lot then you can build Bruce's gadget(VERY cool by the way!!!!) If it's just a one time deal send it to me, just pay for the shipping both ways, I'll be glad to help you out.

I appreciate the offer, Hopefully I will be doing a lot of threading. I think I can build one like Bruce's for less than $75.00. I can 3D print most of the parts and I think I can integrate that part I had you make me a few weeks ago. :)

I'll post a DIY parts list.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
A few pieces other than pens made with my threader awhile ago

Attachments

• 0FEF1FE6-51EA-4B4C-BB61-E1A4CBAD61A5.jpg
    0FEF1FE6-51EA-4B4C-BB61-E1A4CBAD61A5.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 152
  • B89393BD-7EC2-4773-866F-6A9781DC0385.jpg
    B89393BD-7EC2-4773-866F-6A9781DC0385.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 138