Wolverine Vari-Grind question on Priority of need

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

oneleggimp

Grosse Pointe Park, Michigan 48230 United States o
I have a question:

I bought a basic wolverine grinding jig and also a mini-platform. I don't turn bowls. I turn pens and bottle stoppers. Thinking about turning a few shaving brushes. I got a set of six HSS midi chisels for Christmas. Has a Roughing Gouge, a Spindle Gouge, a Scraper, A Skew, a Parting tool and a small bowl gouge. My wife told me she has the money set-aside for the vari-grind as a belated Valentines gift. My question is: Since I don't turn bowls, do I really need the vari-grind right now? Seems I can do all the other chisels with what I have now (sans the vari-grind). I am down to two slimline kits and that's all the kits I have on hand. SO I was trying to decide whether to get the vari-grind OR order pen kits. Since I'm not turning bowls, should I just wait on the vari-grind and get pen kits or go ahead with the vari-grind.

Your opinions are sincerely requested.:confused:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

low_48

Need it? I guess you didn't NEED the wolverine attachment either if you used the existing platforms on the grinder and learned to sharpen by hand. I much prefer the finger nail grind on the spindle, and swept back design on the bowl gouge. It only takes setting and not learning how to hand sharpen if you get it. Only you can decide if you need it.

JimB

You would only use the vari-grind potentially on two of your tools. The spindle gouge because it is probably a swept back grind and the vari-grind will help with consistency. Your bowl gouge will depend on the grind you have on it. If it has a 'normal' grind you don't need it. If you have a swept back grind (also goes by several other names) the veri-grind will, again, help with consistency.

I have the vari-grind and use it on the two tools I mention. I did originally learn how to sharpen them free hand. For me it is a big improvement going to the vari-grind. However, I use my bowl gouge more than any other tool as I am currently doing more bowl turning than anything else.

KenV

Ernie -- As others have pointed out - the Vari-grind and clones are for sharpening fingernail grind spindle gouges and most all bowl gouges except the steep angle "bottom feeder".

What sharpening jigs do is give you consistent edges every time. That is valuable. You know what to expect and can get it every time. This is not the best place to be on the cheap side. Consistent sharp edges will make sharpening more fun.

I turn from a stool and use tools that remove from the handle for sharpening in the vari-grind. Just easier to handle them.

Bowl gouge is used for other things than just bowls. It is the tool of choice when I have a knot to be leveled or trimmed. It excels at woods with variable density.

Finger nail spindle gouge is your friend for details on the stoppers.

Simple set up for Wolverine and Vari-grind is an article from AAW in 2006 written by Kirk DeHeer. Drop me a PM with you e-mail address and I will send you a pdf reprint. You make three wood blocks to set thing up and you are consistent every time.

Consistent is very good!!!

P.S. I got a Robo-Rest from Reed Gray (RoboHippy) and got rid of my wolverine platforms -- consistent settings every time using the wolverine slide holder.

Ernie,
I have the Vari-grind jig and set up for sharpening my bowl gouges and love the ease of getting the ready for the next bowl, but I've only had the set up about a year... I've turned for about 15 years now and prior to getting the system and for the whole time that I did pens, I sharpened by hand on a belt sander... my tools were sharp and relatively consistent in shape, but periodically I did take them over to a friends to re-shape the bevels.

For pens, the gouges you likely (or least the ones I used most) are the flats... the round nose scraper and the skew.... you generally sharpen them on the platform anyway.... maybe for bottle stoppers you'll use the spindle gouge... if I were choosing (and as I read somewhere on the forum, my opinion and a buck will get you a cheap cup of coffee), I would go for the pen kits.

Last edited:

sbwertz

I have the vari-grind 2 and use it on my gouges. I'm not very good at sharpening, and the wolverine and vari grind 2 let me do a quality job on all my turning tools.

wyone

I have the wolverine system and skew attachment and was thinking about the Vari grind 2.. but then found the Sharpfast system and it looks interesting as well. Anyone have any experience with it? or comparison between them?

Top Bottom