wobbly jaws

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Trying to grow beyond pens and was trying to turn a round box. Put the jet midi jaws on my big delta. Turned the thing on and it looks to me like the jaws are wobbly. Don't know whether it is an optical illusion but don't think so.
Head is in alignment as far as I can tell.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Thanks, now should there be more than one set screw for the adapter? I tightened the one set screw that I see but it is still wobbly.

Alright after a good nights sleep, I have gone back into the shop to tr everyone's suggs. Ron Parso, the adapter is on tight, the set screw was for friction on the movement of the jaws.
Wayne there is no wood in the jaws.
The chuck does not seat completely against the shoulder of the spindle. Put it back on my midi & it runs true.
Is this a common prob w/ Delta?

TomServo

pastorbill: is the chuck the same thread as the lathe? that's the first thing that comes to mind.. also, check the depth of the thread on the chuck and compare to the threads on the lathe - maybe the thread on the lathe are longer than the chuck's threads.

I was waiting for someone to mention that. NOTICE TO EVERYONE!!!!!! I have a very thick skin so I can take te ribbing that most of you think is funny. However, I do have my limits and then!!!!!!!!![:D][;)]

Rifleman1776

OK on one lathe, not so OK on another? Like Tom, the threads came to mind. All threads of same size/pitch may not be created equal. Go to local hardware store and buy some 1" ID (assuming your spindle is a 1") nylon flat washers, three should be more than enough. Place those on spindle before installing chuck. Then the chuck should snug up against those and (hopefully) compensate for any looseness in threads. This is actually a good idea for anybody that uses chucks. It allows easier removal if things get real tight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom