Wiring my shop

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

turn81

Hey all. Just purchased my first lathe and I'm getting my wiring set up for my shop. I got the Rikon 70-220 VSR and I'm excited to get it up and running. Quick question. Should I run a dedicated circuit to just the lathe of would a standard 20A circuit that supplies the rest of the shop suffice. I won't be running any equipment at the same time and dust collection is on a different circuit.

Just looking for a few opinions. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Hey all. Just purchased my first lathe and I'm getting my wiring set up for my shop. I got the Rikon 70-220 VSR and I'm excited to get it up and running. Quick question. Should I run a dedicated circuit to just the lathe of would a standard 20A circuit that supplies the rest of the shop suffice. I won't be running any equipment at the same time and dust collection is on a different circuit.

Well welcome aboard (have no idea your name) I hope you stop by the introduction forum and give us a little insight as to what your name is, where you are from and hobbies and things. Add that to your profile also if you do not mind.

To your question, if you have the room in your panel I would have a dedicated outlet. Keep it up high so that you can access it. With electronic VS many strange things can happen when they are being used and other motors are involved also. Plus you will want a light and maybe a shop vac for small clean-up because a DC will not get all debris. May want to use a router in conjunction with your lathe so that is my thought on this subject.

Again welcome and hope you stick around and jump in. Also love to see photos of whatever you want to show us. Good luck.

turn81

Well welcome aboard (have no idea your name) I hope you stop by the introduction forum and give us a little insight as to what your name is, where you are from and hobbies and things. Add that to your profile also if you do not mind.

To your question, if you have the room in your panel I would have a dedicated outlet. Keep it up high so that you can access it. With electronic VS many strange things can happen when they are being used and other motors are involved also. Plus you will want a light and maybe a shop vac for small clean-up because a DC will not get all debris. May want to use a router in conjunction with your lathe so that is my thought on this subject.

Again welcome and hope you stick around and jump in. Also love to see photos of whatever you want to show us. Good luck.

Thanks! I will be adding all info, etc. I'm, Pete:). I wired in some added lighting directly above the workspaces and do have a couple other circuits in the shop (but those are 15a circuits). I don't have space in the sub panel, but do in the main panel. Its a bit more tricky to get to the main panel, but want to make sure I do this right. I will most certainly post photos :)

monophoto

In my opinion, it is generally safer to have the lighting on a different circuit from any power tools. If something bad happens with a power tool, it could be very dangerous to have the lights go out at the same time.

If you are really cautious, you will have your lighting shared between two circuits. That way, your lights are unlikely to go out due to lighting circuit problems at the same time you are using a power tool.

Beyond that, however, you are right that the number of power tools that you will ever operate simultaneously is limited, so having multiple tool outlets on the same circuit is probably OK. I suspect the worst case is that you could be using an electric drill as a sander while running your lathe.

Obviously, you should adhere to all applicable codes.

Last edited:

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
One advantage to having lighting on separate circuits from tool circuits (and for having at least two separate light circuits for that matter) is to avoid being left in the dark in case a breaker trips.

A lot depends on the size of your shop & panel space. As mentioned above, whether you do it yourself or use an electrician, be sure to follow codes.

donstephan

If your general use circuits in your workshop are only 15A, you might in the future find you need one or more 20A circuits for large router, perhaps used at same time as a shop vac, et cetera. If your sub panel already is maxed out, you might want to consider upgrading the subpanel before running a 20A circuit from the main panel for the lathe.

turn81

If your general use circuits in your workshop are only 15A, you might in the future find you need one or more 20A circuits for large router, perhaps used at same time as a shop vac, et cetera. If your sub panel already is maxed out, you might want to consider upgrading the subpanel before running a 20A circuit from the main panel for the lathe.

All 20A. So we should be good on that front.

turn81

One advantage to having lighting on separate circuits from tool circuits (and for having at least two separate light circuits for that matter) is to avoid being left in the dark in case a breaker trips.

A lot depends on the size of your shop & panel space. As mentioned above, whether you do it yourself or use an electrician, be sure to follow codes.

I have lighting on 2 circuits. Main lighting on one and work-station lighting on another. I've decided on two 20A circuits for the tools. I have a couple 15A outlets that were there to begin with. Thanks!!

turn81

In my opinion, it is generally safer to have the lighting on a different circuit from any power tools. If something bad happens with a power tool, it could be very dangerous to have the lights go out at the same time.

If you are really cautious, you will have your lighting shared between two circuits. That way, your lights are unlikely to go out due to lighting circuit problems at the same time you are using a power tool.

Beyond that, however, you are right that the number of power tools that you will ever operate simultaneously is limited, so having multiple tool outlets on the same circuit is probably OK. I suspect the worst case is that you could be using an electric drill as a sander while running your lathe.

Obviously, you should adhere to all applicable codes.

Thanks! Lighting is definitely on separate circuits. Main lighting on one and work station lighting on another.

I've opted to run the extra line for a 20a circuit to the lathe. Better do it like this now than wish I did it this way in the future. And of course. Code are essential. Arc fault it is.

donstephan

Some VFD lathe controls don't like GFCI circuits, never heard of anyone having an arc fault breaker on a lathe. Doesn't necessarily mean it won't work ... just FYI.

Top Bottom