Window A/C - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Shops, Jigs, Fixtures & Tools
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Shops, Jigs, Fixtures & Tools Show off and discuss your workshop and everything in it.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2018, 06:28 AM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Default Window A/C

I'm looking at installing a window A/C unit in a room in my shop. The bottom of the window is about 18 inches off the ground outside.

My concern is critters, particularly snakes, being able to crawl through the various openings within the A/C unit and getting inside.

Could I wrap the A/C unit with some type of screening cloth to somewhat block those openings? Or would this cause too much of a restriction in air flow?
Old 06-13-2018, 06:39 AM   #2 (permalink)

Snakes????? I think I would just have to move. I hate snakes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
tbfoto is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-13-2018, 06:44 AM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 18

I doubt it would cause much restriction with maybe quarter inch mesh as long as you keep it clean. Ive never seen critters trying to get in to an ac unit though, the heat from the coils would drive them away.

Stabilized blanks and more
Gary Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 06-13-2018, 07:21 AM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Beasley View Post
I doubt it would cause much restriction with maybe quarter inch mesh as long as you keep it clean. Ive never seen critters trying to get in to an ac unit though, the heat from the coils would drive them away.
I thought the same thing, except I had to replace my a/c 2 years ago because either mice or chipmunks ate through the fins.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:44 AM   #5 (permalink)

Keeping the mesh clean will be the problem.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk
JPW062 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-13-2018, 08:12 AM   #6 (permalink)

Photos: 6

If you live in a subdivision with covenants, you may want to check with HOA in the event that the exhaust vent is visible. It doesn't sound like it would be. Much success and cool turning.

Peace,

Tony
TonyL is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-13-2018, 08:42 AM   #7 (permalink)

1/4 inch hardware cloth would be fine for both snakes and mice. You will need to keep it clean, but that will be no more of a chore than keeping the fins and drain clean, which would also need to be done.

The difficulty in keeping it clean that close to the ground would be from grass clippings and dirt kicked up by rain. You can always put one in through a hole in the wall and get it up higher.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app
Be kind &
Leave The Rest to God
MRDucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-13-2018, 11:37 AM   #8 (permalink)

Photos: 3

I am with you on very much disliking those slithering serpents. My shop used to be at my parents place which was in a wooded area. I carried a .38 revolver with shot shells......and used it a few times....most effective! Found one of those buggers in the shop behind the radial arm saw .....Bang...
Old 06-13-2018, 12:19 PM   #9 (permalink)

Photos: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjbear76 View Post
I thought the same thing, except I had to replace my a/c 2 years ago because either mice or chipmunks ate through the fins.
I HATE MICE! Snakes too...

Anyway, you might consider a portable unit, you just need an exhaust duct like a clothes dryer. With a louvered vent cover it might be a little more secure against critters.
Old 06-13-2018, 01:04 PM   #10 (permalink)

Photos: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_W View Post
I am with you on very much disliking those slithering serpents. My shop used to be at my parents place which was in a wooded area. I carried a .38 revolver with shot shells......and used it a few times....most effective! Found one of those buggers in the shop behind the radial arm saw .....Bang...
Since you & I live pretty much in the same area, you have to be familiar with Copperheads. Nasty bastids. No warning whatsoever.
They just hit you like a Mack truck.

About 40 years ago, my dad & I built a metal shed. He built a wood platform to put it on. After 10 years or so, I stepped thru the floor & saw a nest of Copperheads. 2 large ones & about a dozen babies. I ran in the house & got my .38 loaded with shotshells. I proceeded to unload all of it into the floor.

I got them all, but my Dad was pissed about the holes in the floor.

A month later, I shot another one laying on the ledge of the shed with a hollow point. I blew its head off, and put a 12" hole thru the back wall of the shed doing it. Dad was super pissed off about that, but when I showed him the 5' long Copperhead I took out, he didn't mind too much.

That snake was a monster Copperhead.

My lathes:

Floor Lathe
Bench top lathe

Herb G is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads