Will Grinders with 1" Wheels take 1.5" Wheels?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sfhipchick

We have a Jet 8" slow grinder which came with a 1" wheel.
We are planning to get a CBN wheel and would like to get a 1.5" wheel.
Does anyone know offhand if it will fit?
I'm hoping that there's someone out there who actually has a Jet 8" who's also gotten a 1.5" CBN wheel and can say either way. I do know that some grinders will fit them whereas others won't.

I appreciate your input! :)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randyrls

We have a Jet 8" slow grinder which came with a 1" wheel.
We are planning to get a CBN wheel and would like to get a 1.5" wheel.
Does anyone know offhand if it will fit?

The easiest way is to contact the seller and ask for the dimensions of the hub. Measure the max size you can fit on the grinder shaft. CBN wheels have a "web" in the middle of the wheel so the outside and hub are thicker than the middle of the wheel.

CBN wheels are MUCH MUCH heavier than abrasive wheels and the grinder will spin forever when shut down. You want to fasten the grinder firmly to its base.

PS. Pay attention to the shaft size on the grinder and wheel. You want them the same size. Plastic spacers tend to create vibrations in the wheel.

tonylumps

When using CBN wheels you eliminate the guards.You do not need them .When you buy the complete set up from Woodturners Wonders. Grinder and CBN wheels no guards come with it. I am using the same set up that you mentioned Except I have a Rikon Grinder No matter witch grinder the guards have to come off.

Last edited:

sfhipchick

Randy, thank you very much for your detailed reply! I'll send this on to my husband. He took the guard off of our Jet grinder and measured the space. He also had a talk with Dave at D-Way to make sure it would work out as expected. We now have a wheel on its way (along with some sweet turning tools!) :D Very excited!

Last edited:

sfhipchick

Hi Tony! Thanks for your input! :) You know, as Steve was removing the guard from the grinder, he told me just about verbatim what you just said! I wondered if it was a safety issue to have them on and he said nope, don't need them. :) It was interesting to measure the space available for the wheel and to see that, indeed, there is plenty of space for a 1.5 wheel. We are now awaiting our new CBN from D-Way! :)

Top Bottom